Options

why is not windows simpler to use

flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
we have had XP vista and now windows 7. when will it ever end.
could have sworn they said vista would be the last operating system. each time they introduce a new system its more complex than the one before and takes longer to loadup.
why ? is it not supose to be simpler to load !
I can remember ME ,yes thats not a disease but a operating system that came out in 2000/1999. yet it did everything that you would expect from microsoft. but after that they produced XP to me it was a disaster ! to complicated and look ages to load up and used 512 of memory. now to get out of bed needs 3 GB why? was not 512 meg of memory to use enough. I think microsoft has lost the plot ,somewhat.
Or is it all about makeing money ? i think that basically that is what it is about. When will microsoft bring out a system that does not need a "operating system" to operate !
Or they afraid they might go out of business !
strange XBOX does not need an operating system to be used ,maybe they should introduce a way of getting online and giveing full access too ,without that damm operating system ? and full use of such things as basic internet and Instant messageing

Comments

• Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could have sworn they said vista would be the last operating system.

Why would MS stop producing new versions, this is their main revenue :eek:
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Win 7 does have a lot of things moved or changed for seemingly no good reason, making it extremely annoying. As with everything, you get used to but why should you have to? If Microsoft designed cars, every year the pedals would be moved and this year they'd be in the boot.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't Philips make an everlasting lightbulb?

This is going to turn into a PC vs Mac vs Unix thread anyway... :(
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could have sworn they said vista would be the last operating system. each time they introduce a new system its more complex than the one before and takes longer to loadup.
    I can remember ME ,yes thats not a disease but a operating system that came out in 2000/1999. yet it did everything that you would expect from microsoft. but after that they produced XP to me it was a disaster ! to complicated and look ages to load up and used 512 of memory. now to get out of bed needs 3 GB why? was not 512 meg of memory to use enough. I think microsoft has lost the plot ,somewhat.
    Or is it all about makeing money ? i think that basically that is what it is about. When will microsoft bring out a system that does not need a "operating system" to operate !
    strange XBOX does not need an operating system to be used ,maybe they should introduce a way of getting online and giveing full access too ,without that damm operating system ? and full use of such things as basic internet and Instant messageing
    Before you moan, you should read up[ on things. The Xbox does use a form of operating system. All. be it a different kind to that on a desktop or laptop, but it is an operating system nonetheless. Without it, there would be no Dashboard or any kind of menu system.

An operating system is the core to use of a computer. Linux and Mac OS X are two examples of other operating systems that aren't made by Microsoft, and are completely different. Yet they are still operating systems.

As technology advances, and we can get more for less in terms of power, why not make the operating system bigger and more powerful to utilise that power?

Would you rather go back to command line interfaces?
  • Options
    Wayne DibblyWayne Dibbly Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes DOS was perfectly adequate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    strange XBOX does not need an operating system to be used

Hate to tell you this.... but XBOX does have an Operating System.
    Yes DOS was perfectly adequate.

DOS was also an operating system... a Disk Operating System.

Microsoft have changed a lot of their products recently, some from my point of view for the good, some for the worse.

One of Microsoft's core products is without a doubt is Office. I found Office 2007 and now 2010 a pain to use when they were first released but am now more than happy with them. Some of the more advanced feature I used in 2003 I could not find anywhere in the Ribbon, or sub menu's. But as John259 says you get used to it. Some of the new features in 2007/2010 are very useful (like the pop up menus for formatting).
    Also for none power users point of view, they seem to find those products easier to use. They can find things easier and to them it is more intuiative.

Yes Windows 7 has move things around, but as history shows if people are not happy Microsoft will change things (or at least offer a workaround). The slight annoyance for me if the "show desktop" button being move from next to the start button to next to the system clock... however "Windows + D" is not my prefer method of getting to the desktop. There are always other ways of doing things, and people are very good at adapting (well most are).

The speed of your computer booting is down to many things, and you can't blame 100% of that on the operating system. First you have to look at the hardware your using, then the drivers that either the hardware manufacturer or Microsoft produced for them... they can be very inefficent and buggy, or just old (try looking for new drivers)... then at the applications you have installed, that start at boot, they can really slow down your PC. You can use software like Soluto to minimise these apps.

Also bear in mind that what people want from their PC's have changed dramatically since the days of DOS and Windows 9x and NT. People (well some) want to be able to play very detailed games, with realistic graphics, they want music, video (both SD and HD), they might want a PVR (see media centre or linux alternative). They want to browse the internet (music, youtube etc etc etc).
  • Options
    Wayne DibblyWayne Dibbly Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brodieman wrote: »
    DOS was also an operating system... a Disk Operating System.

Oh really, well I never, lordy lordy. you learn something new every day.

Woooooooooooooosh.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they still make the Ford Capri? Because people want better now. Some old duffer will still maintain their original Capri and say how great it is, but everyone else will humour them and buy new cars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pugwash69 wrote: »
    Why don't they still make the Ford Capri? Because people want better now.
    That's fair enough but anyone who could drive a Ford Capri can drive a modern car. By all means make the internals more reliable, more protected against infections and faster - but don't change the user interface when there's no need to.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New technologies come along, new application, new security issues. That is why there is development. Underneath Windows 7 is not that different to Vista and aside from toolbar GUI is not huge of a change as vista was to XP.

Windows 7 has several of technologies missing that were planned for Vista.

Anyway, looking forward, here are new features to look forward in Windows 8 due in around 15 to 18 months. For home users expect more 'cloud computing' integration, for business users expect more low level virtualisation features at application layer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Underneath Windows 7 is not that different to Vista and aside from toolbar GUI is not huge of a change as vista was to XP.
    That's good point. A lot of us gave Vista a miss so Win7 comes as a nasty shock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I found Windows 7 to be quicker at loading up than Vista.

Operating systems just like other things need to advance with times and sometimes change has to happen whether you find it a good thing or not.
    Microsoft is a business which needs money to continue to survive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reborn wrote: »
    I found Windows 7 to be quicker at loading up than Vista.
    I find it quicker to boot than XP, but that's more than offset by frequent and extremely annoying delays of a minute or so to open a folder tree in Windows Explorer in Win7, plus the time taken to discover where various settings have moved to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Microsoft knows it helps sell hardware when it makes greater requirements for more bells and whistles. It is not really after the home tinkerer, it wants to ride piggyback on new hardware in some symbiotic relationship. Hardware manufacturers are grateful to have a new OS provoking envy, which provides incentive to upgrade.
    It isn't only the OS that is profligate with memory. Browsing with firefox 3 on XP 256Mb was about as slow as with 2000 and Internet Explorer 5 on 64Mb. Few care to write tight code anymore.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An example of a simple device is a tea strainer.

So it really depends if a computer is your cup of tea.
    :)
  • Options
    Beavis99Beavis99 Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm confused, just because MS release a new operating system, doesn't mean to have to buy and use the new operating system? Much like if Audi or whoever release a new model of your car, doesn't mean to have to buy the new car.

I refurb a lot of old machines, some 7 years old, and they still run Windows XP, Office 2003/2007 quite happily (we're talking Socket A Athlon XP's here!). A bit of RAM, newer harddrive and TLC does wonders. Of course, they may not run Crysis or whatever, but for general use, they're fine.

XP is fine for everyday use, yes Windows 7 does have some nice features, but you can achieve the same by searching for apps on the internet.

B
  • Options
    cavemanjamescavemanjames Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pretty much every I've wanted to say has already been said.

Windows, Mac, Linux, every single operating system out there will always get updated in some form.
    People want new. Windows XP is getting on to 9 years now. It looks pretty dated compared to the competition. Microsoft was catching up.

The main problem with releasing an operating system that is more powerful than the previous version is when people try to upgrade to this new operating system with bare minimum specs.

Every single device out there requires an Operating System to run. Your mobile phone, MP3 player, iPod, TV, Xbox. Everything needs something to make it usable.

If you run Windows 7 on a recent machine, you'll find it boots and run just as fast, if not faster, than Windows XP w/SP2.
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ***gets popcorn*** this thread is going to be good. Ill informed opinion on contenous subject.

Let's face it, the op is full of fail
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member

You left it a bit late, but that's the Post Of The Year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beavis99 wrote: »
    I'm confused, just because MS release a new operating system, doesn't mean to have to buy and use the new operating system?
    New computers come with Win7. Unless you want to build a system yourself, and have a non-OEM version of XP available, AFAIK there's no choice.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    You left it a bit late, but that's the Post Of The Year.

Lol I hadn't even read that line :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I did a quick check of his posts before, in case he was an experienced spoofer. If what he wants is a console, can we do a whip round and gift him an Atari 2600?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    New computers come with Win7. Unless you want to build a system yourself, and have a non-OEM version of XP available, AFAIK there's no choice.
    Its still a choice when you come to buy a new computer.
    One of the possible reasons for getting a computer, could be to have a better spec pc where one may also want the latest windows os.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A system without an operating system. That would be a pencil.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what you are talking about, windows 7 is easy to use, most every configuration feature can be simply searched for rather than digging through menus.

You can simplify to such a degree that it restricts freedom, which is what you find on things like cellphones. That is not a good thing for pc's