Options

Life without alcohol?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I've been straight edge for 2 years now and I don't miss booze or caffiene. Once you get past the first couple of weeks you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

So glad someone else bought up being Straight Edge, I didn't want to seem all pompous :D

Giving up alcohol is really easy I found, just do what you would normally do but have a soft drink instead of a beer. Generally it's more accepted now that some people don't drink, if your friends can't accept it and don't support you, well then you need new friends.

The only thing you have to worry about is people suddenly thinking you're more than willing to be their taxi just because you aren't drinking. Soon as you make it clear you aren't going to be taken for a ride then you'll be fine.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to drink a lot more and often had hangovers and upset stomachs. I've cut down to almost nothing now, just the odd glass of wine with a meal. I don't even miss it, especially as I feel much better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really good to see such positive feedback from people who've managed to knock alcohol on the head. I'm aiming for a dry January but reading this thread really makes me think twice about whether I should quit for good. Definitely food for thought here.
  • Options
    JoJoJayJoJoJay Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    n1guy wrote: »
    My New Years resolution is to give up drinking, Alcohol has been a major part of my life for the past 15/16 years, I'm a binge drinker this past, I only ever drank at the weekends but it is almost every weekend, I'm not a big drinker really about 6/7 beers in a sitting but the issue is it causes me bad anxiety the following day, I darn't leave the house or I have a panic attack, so I need to quit. Problem is what do I do at the weekends without alcohol?

A few beers at the weekend is like my little reward for an other wise crap week in a career I hate, I look forward to my beers all week, they are in fact the highlight of my week sadly. I did give it up before for 4 months when made redundant, didn't feel like it so go figure.

I want to give up drinking because of the anxiety which seems to be getting worse the older I get but nothing in life really gives me any joy if that makes sense, at the moment I am looking forward to a few beers tonight on NYE, take them away what is there to look forward to tonight? Crap TV? after that what is there to look forward to? Back to work next week? and after that? same crap week in week out.

As I say alcohol has been a major part of my life, how do I replace it? Sure I could go out for a meal at the weekends, go to cinema this that and the other, problem is I only earn min wage I can't afford it.

This is a good little book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Give-Up-Alcohol-Month/dp/072253289X

Why don't you try this first and review how you feel at the end of the month?
    Good luck :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Too many responses to read, so I am sorry if I echo things people have already put. I had the same problem with anxiety / panic attacks after drinking. A few weeks without alcohol and I'm a different person. Much more confident, cheeky, talkative, no anxiety. I get drunk maybe 1 to 3 times per month now (instead of 4 - 6), so maybe you could think about reduction instead of giving up completely. I think someone mentioned exercise, this also really really works for me! Again, different person when I exercise regularly. Now I get cranky if I miss a run - haha. I recently quit smoking (different drug I know) but I had the same feelings in terms of giving it up as you do about alcohol. I used to look forward to cigarette breaks, and having a cigarette in the morning, or at the end of a tough day, or after an argument with a colleague, or when I was bored. I didn't think there was anyway I could fill the void. But when I quit I was amazed to find that after a few weeks / months I didn't feel any void at all. Now I wonder why I ever did it in the first place. Seriously though, think about reduction because there's nothing wrong with getting drunk now and then (I think) but don't stand for the negative effects! Drink a bit less, and exercise to balance out how you might be feeling. Sometimes I have wondered how I'm going to get through the working day, then I run 5km and feel much more positive. Better to try that than give up something you really like. Good luck whatevery you do!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think the anxiety thing is a real physical affect that alcohol (too much of it) does cause. It's not just worry. I've read that lack of zinc can cause anxiety, and alcohol does get urinated out when boozing. Alcoholics are usually found deficient in zinc & folic acid. So cut down at least.

I nearly bought some Schloer today as it was mentioned on here, but it's full of glucose fructose syrup.