EE: Sharon: 'You're not Grant......'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wanted to make a thread on Phil, and his characterisation.....

I've recently caught up with EastEnders; Tuesday's and Wednesday's episodes were are marked improvement on the dire Monday edition. But the subtle highlight of Wednesday had to be Sharon's remark to Phil as the title references. Arguably, his entire characterisation over the past fifteen years post-Grant has been an evolvement into the more violent, bullying element of Grant; with flashes of the vulnerability and easy-going temperament old Phil used have.

Phil particularly in the last couple of years has not been as multi-faceted as he once was; especially during the early 2000 era - when actually, his transition in personality made sense. These days, Phil is no longer the villain you can love to hate but rather the villain you just hate. Phil was a more sympathetic character even last year covering up murder than he is this year; because at least a the audience could understand why he did it. He was a papering over the cracks for a mess up in which he felt culpable.

This, however is just Phil feeding into his own desires. Whatever arguments their are regarding Lola's mothering skills are irrelevant to Phil because they aren't apart of his decision making process. What Phil cannot stand, is to live his worse fear; arguably the fear he deserves to face because of his many sins. The fear of loneliness. The fear he will have nothing and no one rule and impose his sense of self, his sense of importance on. Money is nice, but that is not what gives Phil his sensation of authority. It is the idea and concept of 'family' and being a head of it; much like Peggy, and even Archie.

Phil is less sadistic than Archie but has a far more twisted, clouded view of family than Peggy. Phil considers family as something to own, to possess; to mend his own insecurities. Lexi serves to be there because she apart of Ben; Phil can feel close to Ben via Lexi. To Phil, he can rehabilitate his massive mess-up with Ben via Lexi. All of this comes down to Phil; it's not about Lexi's safety; arguably being in a family like the Mitchells, Lexi was doomed from the start.

I can't say I had a massive out-pouring of grief for Lola; but I understood why she would be driven to breaking point and not think logically. Arguably Phil drives people to edge; it's something he does all he considers 'enemies' or mere inconveniences. In the mind of some, it is the mark of a master tactician and manipulator; the sign of an intelligent person. Maybe ten years ago. Right now, it's the sign of sad, old man, running away from the reality of life and how he has destroyed his life. If Ben came to Phil messed up already, Phil just slammed the nail in the coffin. Which is just as bad.

Comments

• Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many of us have said Phil morphed into Grant so it was nice of the writers to finally acknowledge the fact. Sharon has been on fine form this week and it now seems possible she just might be able to put Phil back on the right track.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Meh phil is always going on the right track
    Then the wrong track
    Then the right track

The character just annoys me now TBH
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can defiantly tell the huge character transition from 90s/00s to now, you would think your watching a different character to the 90s episodes, I think worse then Grant, Grant was a brute and bully but Phil taken on worse traits.
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil's character is well past its sell by date. Nobody could possibly be expected to believe in him as a gangster type who everyone's afraid of. He has a bad heart, is overweight and often sounds out of breath in scenes! He is not now, nor ever will be a Grant. Grant was a bully and cruel at times, but he had brains, something Phil lacks. His storyline is now so unbelievable, who truely thinks that Social Services would take a baby away from it's young mother and give it to a single man with a history of violence and drug abuse? Would a Social Worker really stand by and let him treat Lola the way he does? I think it's time to write Phil out. Make him have to give baby Lexi back to Lola and then leave to go live with Peggy....I truely think it's his time to go.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil is one of a select band of characters that will never be axed because of his longevity and the fact that Steve has said he has no plans to leave EE... There is still mileage left in him.

I wonder how Phil & Danny will get along?
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's just a shame that the Mitchell unit has completely disappeared. No Ronnie, Grant, Sam, Peggy, Ben etc. Shirley wants nothing to do with him, Jay has moved on...

I'd actually like to see his daughter Louise return but the only way that could happen would be if Lisa died off screen but that'd be too coincidental to the whole Kathy/Ben situation. Maybe in a few years when Louise is 16 years old, she can come and find Phil and then gradually, they could build up a strong bond and Phil finally does something right with his own family. Other than that, what is left for Phil?

Maybe when Roxy and Alfie inevitably split up, maybe she moves in with Phil?
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    I think it's just a shame that the Mitchell unit has completely disappeared. No Ronnie, Grant, Sam, Peggy, Ben etc. Shirley wants nothing to do with him, Jay has moved on...

I'd actually like to see his daughter Louise return but the only way that could happen would be if Lisa died off screen but that'd be too coincidental to the whole Kathy/Ben situation. Maybe in a few years when Louise is 16 years old, she can come and find Phil and then gradually, they could build up a strong bond and Phil finally does something right with his own family. Other than that, what is left for Phil?

Maybe when Roxy and Alfie inevitably split up, maybe she moves in with Phil?

You forgot Billy :o

I think the last time there were very few Mitchells they created the sisters but apart from another brother of Eric that may of had children, there is no real way to expand the Mitchells further and that would just seem a recycled step.

I think Courtney will come back without her father at some stage and stay with Uncle Phil. Roxy and Phil have never really connected - Ronnie was the glue between them really (Phil knows Ronnie has the brains and Roxy is just a thicko)

It is a shame but Phil could survive on his own - Ian and Dot pretty much have at times.