Options

End of Snooker on the BBC

Comments

• Options
    SmidsterSmidster Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Flamin' snooker - just when everything is moving in the garden and when there are plenty of jobs to be done, no Gardener's World next week because of it. :(:mad:

According to the BBC website - Midday next Sunday for Gardener's World.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smidster wrote: »
    Ah, thanks for that - I'm sure that Monty Don had only said that it would not be shown on Friday and did not mention the Sunday.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flamin' snooker - just when everything is moving in the garden and when there are plenty of jobs to be done, no Gardener's World next week because of it. :(:mad:

Mossy, if the TV schedulers could predict the weather months in advance, as they work out the schedules, they'd be the ones standing in front of the weather maps instead of Carol Kirkwood and her breasts.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/22343182
    Hearn has also announced plans for a new Champion of Champions tournament.

The event in November will carry a £100,000 top prize and be contested by the winners of major tournaments.

Held at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry, the 16-man competition will be televised on a free-to-air channel.

Remember, the new BBC contract includes the possibility of them showing another tournament so it could be this. Depending on the format, ITV might be sniffing around as well.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/22343182

Remember, the new BBC contract includes the possibility of them showing another tournament so it could be this. Depending on the format, ITV might be sniffing around as well.

ive just looked at this.. if ITV get it, will Barry H want some matches on ITV aswell as itv4
    and id say this is the new premier league really cuz that was the champions of every ranking event...
    and its being played on my door step...
    when the davis cup was in coventry that held 2,000 people..
    so the snooker could get up to 2,500 as it doesnt need as much space in the middle unlike Tennis...
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of Barry bluster in the article, but good to see another tournament in the UK. I don't think it'll be long before we have a golf-type scenario where the best players opt out of quite a few tournaments each season, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get sixteen different tournament winners who would be eligible for this event.

As an invitation event, I doubt it would be a ranking tournament, though, so it wouldn't be covered by the BBC's fourth tournament option, therefore I'd expect this event to end up on ITV, providing they're prepared to clear weekend daytimes on their main channel. This tournament is being set up to reach a big audience, so sticking the whole thing on ITV4 is not a realistic option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of Barry bluster in the article, but good to see another tournament in the UK. I don't think it'll be long before we have a golf-type scenario where the best players opt out of quite a few tournaments each season, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get sixteen different tournament winners who would be eligible for this event.

As an invitation event, I doubt it would be a ranking tournament, though, so it wouldn't be covered by the BBC's fourth tournament option, therefore I'd expect this event to end up on ITV, providing they're prepared to clear weekend daytimes on their main channel. This tournament is being set up to reach a big audience, so sticking the whole thing on ITV4 is not a realistic option.

could C4 or C5 show it...
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    The first person to suggest Pick TV could show it will get a lifetime ban from here :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first person to suggest Pick TV could show it will get a lifetime ban from here :)

lol i was waiting for that one :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could C4 or C5 show it...

Neither have any interactive streams, and I don't think 5* or 5USA would carry them, while if it was on More4 someone would have to be doing up a house in the background ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Neither have any interactive streams, and I don't think 5* or 5USA would carry them, while if it was on More4 someone would have to be doing up a house in the background ;)

it might just be one table.. then they wouldnt need interactive would they....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it might just be one table.. then they wouldnt need interactive would they....

Most of the BBC tournaments tend to start with two tables.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very likely indeed that this new tournament will go to ITV4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most of the BBC tournaments tend to start with two tables.

Two out of three :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    It's very likely indeed that this new tournament will go to ITV4.

i think it will be on a main channel not a digital channel...
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Knowing what I know, I'd be willing to bet good money it'll be on ITV4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Knowing what I know, I'd be willing to bet good money it'll be on ITV4.

well as long as they have Neal Foulds and Clive Everton it will be good...
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What's the difference these days? Viewers will probably know that ITV4 is a place to find sports apart from the big football matches.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Smidster wrote: »

That's the Beechgrove Garden. Gardeners' World has been snookered :( and won't be back until Friday 10th when they are at the Malvern Show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

It's so frustrating. I don't see why they can't show it in another time slot or use the red button. Instead it is completely ditched.:(
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    In a positive move, from a snooker fans point of view, the beeb has decided to stick with the current live QF 12-12 deciding frame and have shifted Eggheads until the frame is over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so frustrating. I don't see why they can't show it in another time slot or use the red button. Instead it is completely ditched.:(

Put it on at a different time and the BBC will get complaints from loads of people who missed it. And you don't make a new episode of a programme and restrict it to the red button only.

Were these 2hr slots from 7-9pm on Thurs and Fri in the original schedule, or has Barry Hearn's rocket up the BBC's arse had the desired effect?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Put it on at a different time and the BBC will get complaints from loads of people who missed it. And you don't make a new episode of a programme and restrict it to the red button only.

Were these 2hr slots from 7-9pm on Thurs and Fri in the original schedule, or has Barry Hearn's rocket up the BBC's arse had the desired effect?

There is always extended network coverage of the semi finals, I believe. In fact the Saturday night session is shown in its entirety on BBC Two. Usually.
  • Options
    sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is always extended network coverage of the semi finals, I believe. In fact the Saturday night session is shown in its entirety on BBC Two. Usually.

The last Thursday and Friday of the World Championship always has 7pm-9pm coverage on BBC Two and Ginger Daddy is quite right they show the whole of the Saturday Night session of the Semi Final on BBC Two. This year BBC has had more coverage with morning sessions, 1pm-6pm on BBC Two, an hour from 7pm-8pm in the 2nd week, lots of coverage at the weekend so Barry Hearn doesn't really have a leg to stand on if he is slagging BBC coverage as it has far more than any other minority sport and I am saying this as a massive snooker fan
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sporter92 wrote: »
    The last Thursday and Friday of the World Championship always has 7pm-9pm coverage on BBC Two and Ginger Daddy is quite right they show the whole of the Saturday Night session of the Semi Final on BBC Two. This year BBC has had more coverage with morning sessions, 1pm-6pm on BBC Two, an hour from 7pm-8pm in the 2nd week, lots of coverage at the weekend so Barry Hearn doesn't really have a leg to stand on if he is slagging BBC coverage as it has far more than any other minority sport and I am saying this as a massive snooker fan
    Yes, all scheduled coverage is exactly as it was before Hearn dusted off the Basildon Bond.