Wentworth (remake of Prisoner: Cell Block H) on Channel 5 (Spoilers in tags)

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was obvious that Jacs was provoking Bea into killing her so that Jacs wouldn't have to face the women or the screws. I also think that Franky being top dog is now going to end. They'll see Franky as being cowardly when it came to her needing to sort Jacs out, what with her being top dog. Bea killed the inmate that no one would dare go up against and because of this, she'll gain the respect of the women. Franky wanted someone, anyone to do what she wanted to happen, and this was for Jacs to be killed. She kept on at Bea about Jacs having Debbie killed because she was hoping every time that Bea would go off to get her deadly revenge. If the writers of this series are trying to stay close to the original, Franky will be gone maybe after the next series, or the series after that.

Edit: Looking forward to the next series. The writers and actors/actresses have done well.

Edit 2: If this lasts as long as the original and there'll be 69 seasons if there's 10 episodes with each season, leaving 7 episodes. It'll be one hell of an achievement if this manages to last for 69 seasons. I hope it lasts long enough so that all of the storylines in the original have been shown. I didn't like Bad Girls but I really like this.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its going to be interesting seeing what route they do take Vera down. Vera in Prisoner was just very bitter because of the way her life had turned out. I remember a key line once where she said that she had tried to be friends with the prisoners but they abused her trust. Hence why she became so hard faced with them. The foundations of that could have been what we witnessed with Jacs.

However with The Freak coming in I'm not sure they will make Vera a villain. Its possible Vera will go more down the Colleen Powel route. Saying that I do wonder if like Jacs, Joan will just be a one season character. Its strange she is coming in so early.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That season finale was amazing! I knew either Bea or Jacs would be dead by the end once Erica offered them both protection - the tension was so red hot, that one of them was going to end up dead!

I'm really surprised it was Franky that killed the governor. I thought it was Fletch after Vera read that diary. I thought that Fletch was a bit too 'nice' and it was all a bit too good to be true with him and Vera. I've enjoyed watching Vera's character over the series and seeing her insecurities - I hope she doesn't turn too nasty in the next series.

Is Erica in the next series? As it looks like that new governor is coming in, so she's gonna be replaced. I'm just interested to see where her relationship with Franky would go in the next season. I found her character one of the more interesting ones as well. Franky summed her up really well, Erica is very repressed.

Lizzie may have stood up to Franky, but she came across a bit out of her depth to me. She'd never cut it as a top dog. I'm looking forward to the power play between Franky and Bea in the next season.

Can't wait to buy the DVD on Monday :) who else will be getting it?
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

Boomer Spice!! :D:D:D:D
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings thread reports an overnight audience of 1m for the finale. That's excellent.
    nw0307 wrote: »
    my thoughts exactly. Sky are notorious for it. Let another channel take the gamble and invest in it, then they swoop in and take it and then put in on their Sky Atlantic channel so other people can't see it unless they have a $ky subscription.

I'd like to think that Foxtel will stick with 5, but Foxtel is half owned by Murdoch, and isn't Sky a Murdoch network too? So if Sky wants it I'd say they'll get it.
    zx50 wrote: »
    If the writers of this series are trying to stay close to the original, Franky will be gone maybe after the next series, or the series after that.

Well, I hope the writers take into account that Franky is probably more popular with viewers than all the other characters put together (you should see Twitter light up about her compared with the rest). If they write her out of it they will lose a lot of their audience.
    Edit 2: If this lasts as long as the original and there'll be 69 seasons if there's 10 episodes with each season, leaving 7 episodes. It'll be one hell of an achievement if this manages to last for 69 seasons. I hope it lasts long enough so that all of the storylines in the original have been shown. I didn't like Bad Girls but I really like this.

I think it will last from three to five seasons,
    Is Erica in the next series? As it looks like that new governor is coming in, so she's gonna be replaced.

We don't know. Leeanna Walsam isn't in the cast list but there's been no announcement - complete silence - on her involvement, which is unusual if she's left. She is also teasing us on Twitter about whether she's in or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeanna is doing a play for most of November it seems. My guess is that IMDB is right and she is in the first episode then we might not see her again until episode 4 or 5. I'm guessing the stuff with the department head will lead to some sort of harassment case. If Leeanna had quit they would have announced it. They are staying silent because they want her return to be a shock. That's what Wentworth has relied on throughout. Shocks. No way will they leave the Frankie/Erica thing hanging. Plus Erica returning to Governor and Joan being demoted makes perfect sense history wise and sets things up better for what we know Joan is. That's how I see this playing out.
  • Ali_CWAli_CW Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I thought Meg's killer was actually Vera! This was firmly established to myself when she smuggled painkillers in for Jacs. So it was quite the surprise when it was actually Frankie who was involved in Meg's death.

I enjoyed the colour that Wentworth is filmed in. It looks pale and grainy almost. It never looks too cosy or relaxed.
    In particular the slowing down of the filming of a shot and then returning to normal speed. That has been for me personally what has been a part of it's success.

Why did the character of Frankie have to make one of those open smiles after her kiss with Erica!? You know that face she does!?
    I was expecting a soft look! ;)

Bring on season 2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    triton333 wrote: »
    We don't know. Leeanna Walsam isn't in the cast list but there's been no announcement - complete silence - on her involvement, which is unusual if she's left. She is also teasing us on Twitter about whether she's in or not.
    Leeanna is doing a play for most of November it seems. My guess is that IMDB is right and she is in the first episode then we might not see her again until episode 4 or 5. I'm guessing the stuff with the department head will lead to some sort of harassment case. If Leeanna had quit they would have announced it. They are staying silent because they want her return to be a shock. That's what Wentworth has relied on throughout. Shocks. No way will they leave the Frankie/Erica thing hanging. Plus Erica returning to Governor and Joan being demoted makes perfect sense history wise and sets things up better for what we know Joan is. That's how I see this playing out.

Ooh ok thanks both. Sounds positive that she's sticking around then. She's been one of my favourite characters this series.
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ali_CW wrote: »
    In particular the slowing down of the filming of a shot and then returning to normal speed. That has been for me personally what has been a part of it's success.

That worked very well, but I thought they overdid it a little.
    Why did the character of Frankie have to make one of those open smiles after her kiss with Erica!? You know that face she does!?I was expecting a soft look! ;)

I wasn't. I thought that look was Franky all over. It was a look of victory that she has Erica in the palm of her hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    triton333 wrote: »
    Well, I hope the writers take into account that Franky is probably more popular with viewers than all the other characters put together (you should see Twitter light up about her compared with the rest). If they write her out of it they will lose a lot of their audience.

Yeah, Nicole's sexy when playing Franky Doyle. She's got something about her that makes her stand out from the rest. I think she's easily the best looking woman in it.
  • Ali_CWAli_CW Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yeah, Nicole's sexy when playing Franky Doyle. She's got something about her that makes her stand out from the rest. I think she's easily the best looking woman in it.

Interesting how people view characters in a drama. Everyone finds something different in them.
    When I first watched her. I knew she would be preferred.
    She can't be pinned down. She's a challenge. I think it can be an attractive quality in a character. Addictive even..

If anyone has watched the L Word. Now long finished. Remember Shane? Frankie could be in Shane's mould. She too having issues with her Father, like Frankie.

For me personally. The character of Jacs was played so well. The silence and the tention between her and characters in earlier episodes. A marvel.

Most of the acting and portrayal was spot on.

Though on a lighter note.
    I do enjoy the character of Erica. Liked some of her outfits..
    Simple, smart and sometimes quite sexy.
    Erica. What a cutey!
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That scene with Jacs dying was abit rough. Though I almost thought she seemed happy that it was happening and a final welcome end seeing as there was not much else left for her on the outside, not even her son.
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Franky wasn't tounging the 'Guv - she wouldn't be half as popular as what she is. Sad really! :sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Franky actually isn't my favourite character, or one of my favourites though I do still quite like her.

My favourite characters are Bea, Vera, Jacs and Erica for me this series.

Jacs, because she was a very convincing and scary villiain played brilliantly by the actress and I'm really going to miss her.

I thought Vera and Bea showed the most character development throughout the entire series and I really enjoyed seeing that. I liked how Bea went in with her head down and now she has all the women on her side, and she's become more hardened and tough, since her daughter's death. I liked seeing Vera's character and her insecurities unravel in front of us, and how she stood up to Jacs in that final episode, and how will her break up with Fletch carry her character forward?

I liked seeing Erica start off with her mission statement of wanting to do right by the women, introduce different initiatives, make the prison a better place etc but we slowly saw her repressed desires become a danger to what she wants to set out and achieve.

I don't really think Franky got much character development in this series compared to some others, and that's why she'd be far down the list of my favourite characters (even though I do like her).
  • seanfitzyseanfitzy Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First promo ive seen for series 2,sorry if allready posted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28HmxnoCUCE
  • Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they would have had all the Franky/Erica stuff if the latter wouldn't be in a new series. I think she isn't mentioned as a 'main' character because she isn't in every episode or something like that.

I watched the last few episodes again yesterday, and ordered the DVD :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's be an excellent series, I hope it can run for at least another 2-3 series yet because this could go really far.

I thought it was quite shocking when Bea stabbed Jacs and she pulled Bea's hand away to stop the bleeding, whilst standing there smirking! I think Jacs is one of TV's best characters!

Has anyone ordered the DVD? I am going to I think!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    It's be an excellent series, I hope it can run for at least another 2-3 series yet because this could go really far.

I thought it was quite shocking when Bea stabbed Jacs and she pulled Bea's hand away to stop the bleeding, whilst standing there smirking! I think Jacs is one of TV's best characters!

Has anyone ordered the DVD? I am going to I think!

Yup I'm ordering the DVD on Monday. Can't wait to rewatch it all again!
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup I'm ordering the DVD on Monday. Can't wait to rewatch it all again!

Same here, I'm looking forward to watching episode 1 again (and the finale) in particular :D

The 'deluxe' DVD has over two hours worth of extra features!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes got the DVD ordered :p Its the extras I can't wait to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Same here, I'm looking forward to watching episode 1 again (and the finale) in particular :D

The 'deluxe' DVD has over two hours worth of extra features!! :)
    Yes got the DVD ordered :p Its the extras I can't wait to watch.

Oooh I didn't know there was going to be loads of extras on the DVD! Will it consist of extra scenes, cast interviews, outtakes? I'm definetly going to order the deluxe version!
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    Why did Bea press the alarm after stabbing Jacqs? Is Jacqs assumed dead? Did Bea press it to alert help for Jacqs or attention from the other inmates of what she had done?
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    I'm missing Franky already so will have to get the DVD! I've got a huge girl crush in her😍!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if she turns out to be as nasty as the original Ferguson was?