Options

Is indicating a thing of the past?

HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the last few years I have noticed an increase in the number of people who seem to be unaware their cars have indicators and they should in fact be using these! I was behind a car the other day for about 20 minutes and not once did they use their indicator, this was on the motorway and at various roundabouts. I find myself having yo wait ages at certain busy roundabouts because people do not indicate before they leave and you have no way of knowing where they are going until they turn off, of course by that time there are more cars coming round and its unsafe. Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Options
    HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also apologise for the lack of paragraphs, my phone wouldn't allow me to use the return key.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice the odd one every now and then, but I can't say it's becoming prevalent.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I notice is people who leave their indicators on far too long after they have made the turn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Agreed op. The only time I see people indicate nowadays is when they have already come to a halt by the side of the road to stop, and there I am sitting behind them thinking gee thanks. The clue is in the word INDICATor!
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, here in West Sussex I'd say the vast majority of motorists have the courtesy to indicate at junctions and roundabouts. Guess it just depends on where you live and how many eejits and 'tards have access to motor vehicles in your town.
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's just turned a corner.
  • Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This topic comes up at least once a month on here.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, and I always say you don't have to indicate if there are no road users to benefit from a signal, which is different to not signalling when you should.:D
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    The ones that twist my melon are those who sit in the outside lane of a dual laned road at red lights.
    No indicators so they are going straight on. You pull up behind them, the lights change and only then do they put on their right indicator and block the lane. Often long enought that you are still sat there when they turn red again.

If I had a gun I would drag them out of the car and shoot them. 👿

But I dont have gun so I sit there, swallow it down and go tsk....😳
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people stop doing it, when they had to do it all the time learning to drive and to pass their test. I always indicate, even when there isn't anyone behind me and I'm alone on the road, just a habit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people stop doing it, when they had to do it all the time learning to drive and to pass their test. I always indicate, even when there isn't anyone behind me and I'm alone on the road, just a habit.

It shouldn't be just a habit, unless you check everything in accordance for the whole point of a signal.

Some people consider signalling is something they're taught, and that's it, without really thinking about why they are signalling.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

A bad habit. Signal only when there is someone to appreciate your signal.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also apologise for the lack of paragraphs, my phone wouldn't allow me to use the return key.

Doesn't bother me. I never use paragraphs anyway.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    A bad habit. Signal only when there is someone to appreciate your signal.

Do you always know when there is someone to appreciate your signal?
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It happens a lot on my way home from work - well not so much that they don't indicate but they indicate after braking. Whats the point in indicating after you've already slammed the brakes on, the indicator is presumably there to warn whoever is behind that your about to brake - grrr...its annoying as its before a turning along a national speed limit stretch so you can end up doing close to an emergency stop. A little more warning would help (my tyres and petrol consumption as well as my nerves etc.).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here is the last one.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1958384&highlight=indicate
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no not again.
    Cue the BMW 'jokes' and the 'advanced' drivers.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,314
    Forum Member
    I'd say that indicating was/is a good habit that should be cultivated.

Deep Purple and I have had this discussion before

In a similar thread there was a motorcyclist - whose username I forget - who brought up some valid points. In my opinion anyway.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, I've noticed it of late as well. I followed one car for 15 minutes and it didn't indicate once despite negotiating six roundabouts. It looked to me like they just never used their indicators. Ever :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say that indicating was/is a good habit that should be cultivated.

Deep Purple and I have had this discussion before

In a similar thread there was a motorcyclist - whose username I forget - who brought up some valid points. In my opinion anyway.

That was probably me but I couldn't get the opponents to actually state they never make a mistake even though their method depends on it.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,314
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    That was probably me but I couldn't get the opponents to actually state they never make a mistake even though their method depends on it.

Yes, I think it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »

Everyone can make a mistake, and many result from people automatically signalling, and going because they've carried out what they were taught.

What I said was checking before deciding to indicate ensures you are aware of what is around you. If done properly, it is perfectly safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Do you always know when there is someone to appreciate your signal?

If you look properly, you can see whether there is, or isn't, and if you're not sure, you signal anyway, but it means you have checked your surroundings.

People often signal without any thought of what it is for, just because they've been told to do it.

If you forget the reason why you're signalling, then you are a risk.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    At what point should you start to indicate when turning onto a motorway slip road, or off the motorway onto the exit slip road?

You know, when you come across the barred countdown signs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look properly, you can see whether there is, or isn't, and if you're not sure, you signal anyway, but it means you have checked your surroundings.

"People often signal without any thought of what it is for, just because they've been told to do it."

If you forget the reason why you're signalling, then you are a risk.

"People often signal without any thought of what it is for, just because they've been told to do it."
    Who are these people and how do you know this? At least these people will be indicating when making a mistake rather than not indicating when they make a mistake.

I'd sooner see indicators flashing when 'not needed' than no indicators from someone who is over-confident in their own abilities.
    It's simply safer and does no harm whatsoever.