Chromebooks any good?

13»

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Just making people knows that you are followed where ever you go by google and there is no way to get out of it. All your documents are scanned by google, your web browsing is followed by Google.

The idea of the machine is good in that it is a light weight machine, that is simple to use, and have a keyboard, but too much google for me.

How do you manage to get through life with that kind of attitude?

Very weird indeed :confused:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I'm sorry, i have to ask, but why are you so paranoid?

What exactly do you think they are going to do? Do you think they select random people and spy then laugh at what you look at or download?

Have you ever had anything stolen as a result of having a google account? Has any strange men ever turned up at your door?

I bet you spend all day in the house terrified to go out incase anyone dares to look at you. If you do go out and anyone walks behind you, i bet you shit yourself!! :D

I think you need to wake up and realise no one is interested in what you look at. They collect data for target advertising reasons.

With the internet taking off in an absolutely phenomenal way all over the world, this will definitely be what Google are most bothered about. The internet is big enough for about three quarters of its users to see those adverts. Just over 2.4 billion people (maybe households?) use the internet according to the website in the link below.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, i have to ask, but why are you so paranoid?

Not paranoid, just careful and not like other people who seems to want everyone to know everything they do just because they think they may get something free.
    What exactly do you think they are going to do? Do you think they select random people and spy then laugh at what you look at or download?

No
    Have you ever had anything stolen as a result of having a google account? Has any strange men ever turned up at your door?

Not as far as I know.
    I have had strange men turn up at the door, they are normally Talk Talk Sales reps.
    I bet you spend all day in the house terrified to go out incase anyone dares to look at you. If you do go out and anyone walks behind you, i bet you shit yourself!! :D

I hope you are not a betting man, because you just lost two of them.
    I think you need to wake up and realise no one is interested in what you look at. They collect data for target advertising reasons.

Maybe not, but why make it easier if they do?
    How do you manage to get through life with that kind of attitude?

Very weird indeed :confused:

I manage ok to be honest, I find the not trusting people is the best way. Saves me hassle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    With the internet taking off in an absolutely phenomenal way all over the world, this will definitely be what Google are most bothered about. The internet is big enough for about three quarters of its users to see those adverts. Just over 2.4 billion people (maybe households?) use the internet according to the website in the link below.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

What is Google most bothered about? Of cause they also love to get information from routers when they go around taking their pictures.

google is just getting too large and want to know as much as they can about us, but there are others. Remember double click, awful they was, then Google grabbed them, um, that explains things.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    What is Google most bothered about? Of cause they also love to get information from routers when they go around taking their pictures.

google is just getting too large and want to know as much as they can about us, but there are others. Remember double click, awful they was, then Google grabbed them, um, that explains things.

It was most likely people's computers that Google got the information from. If people had password protected their wireless connections, Google would never had gotten any information from their computers. This doesn't excuse what Google did, but it just goes to show how dim quite a few people are when it comes to keeping their wireless connections safe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It was most likely people's computers that Google got the information from. If people had password protected their wireless connections, Google would never had gotten any information from their computers. This doesn't excuse what Google did, but it just goes to show how dim quite a few people are when it comes to keeping their wireless connections safe.

Not the point, If i leave my front door unlocked do that give anyone the right to walk in? Google should have known different and not for one minute do I believe them when they said it was a accident and should not have happened.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google don't need access to your "system" with a chromebook. All documents are stored in the cloud - by default, Google Drive - so are all stored on their servers anyway. No need to tap in to anyone's "system" when people are volunteering their documents up.

To update this thread: Over the last few weeks something called QuickOffice has been rolled out to Chromebooks and it's now possible to create/edit/store documents locally rather than using Google Drive.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always said I did not want or need one but this appears to change everything.

http://lifehacker.com/chrome-os-will-run-android-apps-natively-sync-with-and-1595975542

Interestingly, Chromebook likely becomes the 100% secure side of Android which is essentially there too on Chromebook.
    It maybe confirms my thinking too, being that tablets are a bit of a fad, they still need a keyboard to be more than a toy.
    Confusingly, will Android also get Chrome OS or will just the Chromebook OS get Android?

Edit - it appears to be a 'walled garden', meaning Google chooses which apps will be allowed to run !!!!!!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I have always said I did not want or need one but this appears to change everything.

http://lifehacker.com/chrome-os-will-run-android-apps-natively-sync-with-and-1595975542

The syncing part It's sounding very much like what OS X/IOS doing with Continuity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sounds fantastic. Chrome OS has always suffered from a very limited selection of apps, but this will change everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it sounded fantastic but ...

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12wxdep3ufufjzcb22sdd35jwvkglj5204
    "Finally, we’re bringing a hand-picked set of Android apps to Chromebooks later this fall, starting with Evernote, Vine and Flipboard. Want to see your favorite Android apps on Chromebooks? Nominate them at..."

All a damp squid then, for now. Nominations? I guess owners should nominate but I bet Google has other considerations about which ones it lets into that walled garden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well :( Perhaps one day they'll be able to open up the full Play Store to new, more powerful Chromebooks. I think the current models would be far too low-spec to run certain apps and most games. Even HTML5 Angry Birds is a struggle...
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it sounded fantastic but ...

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12wxdep3ufufjzcb22sdd35jwvkglj5204
    "Finally, we’re bringing a hand-picked set of Android apps to Chromebooks later this fall, starting with Evernote, Vine and Flipboard. Want to see your favorite Android apps on Chromebooks? Nominate them at..."

All a damp squid then, for now. Nominations? I guess owners should nominate but I bet Google has other considerations about which ones it lets into that walled garden.

i think this is very much a "let's start slowly and see how it goes" sorta thing.
    which seems a reasonable approach to take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    on a side note... has anyone actually seen the new Samsung Chromebook 2 in the UK anywhere? it seems to be vaporware at the moment (in the UK anyway).
    the fabled release date seems to have come and gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... I think the current models would be far too low-spec to run certain apps and most games....

The current models are likely very powerful compared to most smartphones. I really can't see any of your logic there. And the screens on them are mainly 720p, not 1080p so that makes things faster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The current models are likely very powerful compared to most smartphones. I really can't see any of your logic there. And the screens on them are mainly 720p, not 1080p so that makes things faster.

Fair enough, I haven't compared the specs to be honest. My comment was based on the performance of official Chrome games like Angry Birds and in particular Bejeweled (HD) which is barely playable on a Chromebook. Perhaps the Android app versions would run much better on a Chromebook than these HTML5 recreations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    on a side note... has anyone actually seen the new Samsung Chromebook 2 in the UK anywhere? it seems to be vaporware at the moment (in the UK anyway).
    the fabled release date seems to have come and gone.

The Chromebook 2 UK part number is XE503C32-K01UK.

Maybe they are all awaiting the ship to arrive? Very claim stock but I imagine it is just sleight of hand from them.
    I'm not too sure of the point of a HD Chromebook. It meant as a secure, simple and cheap appliance. At least it is not as ludicrous as the Pixel Chromebook, which I can maybe wrongly assume, people buy only to show how much money they have.
    I guess why not, its likely security and low maintenance people are after.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Chromebook 2 UK part number is XE503C32-K01UK.

Maybe they are all awaiting the ship to arrive? Very claim stock but I imagine it is just sleight of hand from them.
    I'm not too sure of the point of a HD Chromebook. It meant as a secure, simple and cheap appliance. At least it is not as ludicrous as the Pixel Chromebook, which I can maybe wrongly assume, people buy only to show how much money they have.

just seems rather strange that it doesn't appear on the samsung UK website at all, yet it's on the Irish website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.omgchrome.com/samsung-chromebook-2-release-delayed-end-may/

A guess that is tagged on top, so its a month plus whatever to add for the UK?
    Reviews overall are very positive.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B00J49ZH1U/ref=mw_dp_cr

Seems to have a quirk with, I assume animated gifs, so can animations be turned off for Chrome on Chromebook OS? (It is also an unverified review so just maybe not genuine. I much ignore those ones these days as they have sought out and 'arrived on Amazon with a grudge'.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I suspected, but not as much as this report says.

http://www.zdnet.com/will-the-enterprise-help-triple-chromebook-sales-by-2017-7000032494/
    "According to Gartner, in 2013 the education sector accounted for nearly 85 percent of Chromebook sales."

Whilst that would mean that over 4 million will be sold to schools this year I mildly suspect that much of that big rise in sales this year will be to small businesses.