Options

Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    I am not aware of ANY network ever forcing customers to change their pay monthly tariff once the contract runs out.

They don't want to rock the boat when your contract runs out - if you are willing to continue paying them, they'll keep taking your money.
    Depends if tethering is losing them money hand over fist. Their T&Cs include the standard clause to give notice in 30 days if they wish to end your current plan IIRC.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends if tethering is losing them money hand over fist. Their T&Cs include the standard clause to give notice in 30 days if they wish to end your current plan IIRC.

It's doubtful that tethering is losing them money (it's not as if they're furiously upgrading the network to cope with the load).

Perhaps if the T&Cs have the usual standard boilerplate that reserves the right for them to take action on heavy users, they'll use that instead of tarring all the unlimited tethering customers with the same brush. Not all of us are trying to use it as home broadband replacements.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Right, I have a question for the techies on here that my know what on earth is going on with my phone/SIM when it's connecting to calls...

Basically, I believe I'm being connected to somebody else's calls very occasionally.

For instance, my Dad phoned me today (I know it was him as it said so on the screen). When I answered it, I heard the ringing tone you hear when you've made a call and are waiting for somebody to pick up. A second or so later, I heard, "This is the Vodafone Voicemail for 07xxxxxxxxx."

That's the third time this has happened to me. The first time was me making a call to my nan and it connected to somebody foreign who, I think with my limited knowledge of foreign languages, was Polish. Both my old man and my nan are on EE (Orange).

It has also happened to me and I've heard what I believe is somebody leaving a voicemail for somebody that isn't me.

It's pretty odd, and annoying, but does anybody know what may be happening here?

I have an iPhone 5S on Three, as you know.

That's the only three times it's happened - the first time was in May. I remember it as it was the same day as the Champions League Final.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had that happen to me on Orange maybe 10 years ago. Called someone, got put through to someone immediately, no ringing, still not sure if I barged in on an existing call.

I remember there being a Register article not long after where it was some issue between Orange and Vodafone that could result in that.

Not had it since and never on 3.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got myself a 30 day One Plan sim as the store were convinced it was going to end in the next few days and will be replaced by a £28 sim only with AYCE everything (2GB tether limit tho)

£28 sim only? that's a bit on the high side...
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As said above, this isn't correct. The price is wrong. The tethering limit is wrong. The date is wrong.

But apart from that, it's all good!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I'm one of the lucky ones paying just £15 too. Very happy. :)

Makes you realise how good it is when Vodafone are just offering 1GB for £21 a month or something like that on SIM Only!! Plus their 3G network is non-existant in Bristol. Or if it is, it'll be extremely slow...

Yep, another £15 One Plan here.

I got in just before the rise to £20 and I'm contracted until May 2015, at which point I'll just let it roll over monthly to keep the £15 and unlimited tethering.
  • Options
    SkieSkie Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I'm on the £15 plan too and perfectly happy (now that I have a home signal box).

Hearing radio adverts about the current deals is kinda amusing, but also sort of horrifying. "1 Gigabyte of data. Thats HUGE!" they say, as I download at 40mbps on a plan £7 cheaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The results from the latest Broadband Genie mobile broadband test from London to Edinburgh.

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/mobilebroadband/roadtrip

Three won, followed by EE, O2 and Vodafone last.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    The results from the latest Broadband Genie mobile broadband test from London to Edinburgh.

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/mobilebroadband/roadtrip

Three won, followed by EE, O2 and Vodafone last.

Those results pretty much match my own experience of the networks.
  • Options
    matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    There's no way Three can have better 4G coverage then EE. Just look at the coverage maps!! My understanding is that so far, Three 4G upgrades have only been on sites that are already EE 4G enabled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly the 4G tests can only have been made where there was 4G service.

The test wasn't about 4G coverage though, where EE is clearly the leader, but rather testing actual speeds. There was however a test of overall coverage, but this wasn't based on having a 3G or 4G signal, but simply being able to do something - like open a web page.

One problem that is particularly annoying, especially on the move, is when you have signal but no data flows. Three won this with a 90% completion rate. Three also won on 3G speeds, which is perhaps not surprising given how much of its network is DC-HSDPA enabled compared to O2 and Vodafone.

Once again, this was only about data and only for 3G and 4G. So better 2G coverage was basically ignored - and I'm quite glad about that, as I don't consider 2G to be usable for data at all.
  • Options
    matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Clearly the 4G tests can only have been made where there was 4G service.

The test wasn't about 4G coverage though, where EE is clearly the leader, but rather testing actual speeds. There was however a test of overall coverage, but this wasn't based on having a 3G or 4G signal, but simply being able to do something - like open a web page.

One problem that is particularly annoying, especially on the move, is when you have signal but no data flows. Three won this with a 90% completion rate. Three also won on 3G speeds, which is perhaps not surprising given how much of its network is DC-HSDPA enabled compared to O2 and Vodafone.

Once again, this was only about data and only for 3G and 4G. So better 2G coverage was basically ignored - and I'm quite glad about that, as I don't consider 2G to be usable for data at all.

From the link - Despite having the largest and most established 4G network in the country EE was not able to match Three on either speed or coverage, but still performed well enough to win our Recommended award. Across the 79% of successful tests average download was 3.99Mb alongside a disappointing 0.62Mb average upload, but it did manage a peak downstream rate of 12.34Mb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is badly worded. It should make clear that they measured coverage of 3G and 4G only, and that the test of coverage was a successful use of data - not just having signal or trying to make a call.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    From the link - Despite having the largest and most established 4G network in the country EE was not able to match Three on either speed or coverage, but still performed well enough to win our Recommended award. Across the 79% of successful tests average download was 3.99Mb alongside a disappointing 0.62Mb average upload, but it did manage a peak downstream rate of 12.34Mb.

But Rootmetrics say EE is the best everywhere?!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've emailed Broadband Genie's PR manager to ask for some further clarification of the test results and will post as soon as I get a response.
  • Options
    maverickjesusmaverickjesus Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    EE could liquidate tomorrow and Rootmetric would still brandish them as the bastion of 4G coverage.
  • Options
    RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    But Rootmetrics say EE is the best everywhere?!?

Everywhere they measure!

I do think the grand total of 39 tests per network is the main issue. (In each direction I think, so 78 in total), especially when it's presented alongside tag lines like below. An individual user will make more data transfers than that per day (most background), so it's not exactly the most scientific methodology or statistically valid, speaking as an engineer of course.

What's the best mobile network in the UK? We compare 3, EE, O2, Vodafone

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/broadband/3452450/uks-best-3g-4g-networks-of-2014/?olo=editorspick
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I know.... my comment was a little "tongue-in-cheek"....

I think the results of other tested areas should be published... Like Plymouth for example. The same old towns and cities keep cropping up....
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been a few moans of EE's 4g speeds suffering of late around the forums so the results are not such a surprise, it's time the focus on data was shifted from the dick measuring competition of who have the biggest download speed and onto robustness of the data, setting a download figure sensible enough for networks to be able to achieve in both rural locations via 800mhz and in congested built up area at the same time, and then each network can be messured against its performance like this..
    2g 'data' should never be included in results these days as it not useable for modern needs... Pitting it in is a bit like including 2 yogurt pots and a length of string in voice communication figures..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this shows the average speed on EE and Three is sufficient for more data heavy needs (we can ignore the top speeds perhaps) but O2 and Vodafone? Maybe okay for some things, but the Vodafone average in particular is very poor.

But being able to use any data at all is vital. If you're on a train for four hours, you don't want most of it spent trying to get data at all, whether restarting the phone, toggling flight mode etc.

The test is about data coverage, not coverage and I'm glad such a test exists as this is more important to me than whether my phone can receive calls (I get so few). Clearly it would be even better for more scientific testing along the same line from the likes of Ofcom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I've now had clarification, and a full statement from the editor of Broadband Genie can be found here:

http://jmcomms.com/2014/07/11/three-comes-top-in-latest-london-to-edinburgh-mobile-broadband-test/
  • Options
    FmBandScanFmBandScan Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found 4G on my phone today the other side of town today after attending a job interview. When I ran a speed test it pinged up to 40mbs but then stopped 3/4 way through the download and then I got no service and it dropped back to H+.

Now when I put in this postcode on the coverage it says coming soon. Is this why the data dropped off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had loads of ups and downs (and loss of 4G completely) between the time 4G was available at home and officially went live.

I don't know why they allow users access before it's ready.
  • Options
    Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FmBandScan wrote: »
    I found 4G on my phone today the other side of town today after attending a job interview. When I ran a speed test it pinged up to 40mbs but then stopped 3/4 way through the download and then I got no service and it dropped back to H+.

Now when I put in this postcode on the coverage it says coming soon. Is this why the data dropped off?

Where abouts?
This discussion has been closed.