Options

IP Addresses.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,938
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, can someone help me here please.

I'm a mod on another forum and we're struggling to clarify something.

Can two people have the exact same IP address? We have a member who says you can but we just want to make sure :)

Comments

• Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are on the same connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    If they are on the same connection.

Apparently not..an admin has found that they have 2 members who have the exact same IP address but one the member is denying that both accounts belong to them and says there must be another person somewhere in the country with the same.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Static or Dynamic?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've said it's variable and not static, if that helps. Their IP can change just by turning the computer off and restarting again.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stand to be corrected on this but as far as I am aware there is no way for two completely separate and totally independent connections to have the same IP address at the same time*. It would be even more mind boggling if both these members IP Addresses tracked each other perfectly, ie as one changes so does the other.

The only way I know of where two different computers can present the same IP address to the web is if they share connection to a router connected to the same broadband connection. The WAN side of the router will acquire a single IP address from the ISP which all computers on the LAN side appear to have when they connect to web sites.

I've just done this with my desktop and laptop computers on my connection. Point each one at different websites that display your IP Address and they both show the same one. And if you think about it two separate internet connections from separate locations must have separate IP addresses otherwise it would screw up the routing of data to and from each of them.

*Actually if the IP address is assigned manually then it is possible to give two devices the same address but that should throw up a warning when both try to connect.
  • Options
    _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Two ISP customers can not have the same static IP address. If they have dynamic IP addresses then its possible that one person might have a particular address at one time and then the other person is allocated the same address at some other time, but it would be a chance event, not something that happens consistently. If they are on the same local network, i.e. in the same household, then they would most likely share the same IP address.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone..this is on the lines of what believe ourselves but before we can act, we wanted to make sure. Your posts make a lot more sense than what we've been told.
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also bear in mind that it's not just a home network that can "hide" behind one IP address, quite often even large corporate networks can present just one or two "real" IP addresses to the internet at large, when they have hundreds or thousands of PCs on their network internally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cherry pip wrote: »
    Thanks everyone..this is on the lines of what believe ourselves but before we can act, we wanted to make sure. Your posts make a lot more sense than what we've been told.
    Just to clarify, did the two members concerned have identical IP Addresses at the exact same times? That would be extremely unlikely if they really were two totally unconnected people.

If they had the same IP address but at different times then it is plausible they could be different people. If they share an ISP then under DHCP it is possible for person A to log off completely and person B to log on and get the IP address previously given to person A. Would be a remarkable coincidence that they both sign in to the same forum however.

But in the main if two people have the same IP address then chances are they either are one real person or two people sharing an internet connection. Especially if they are both using the forum at the exact same time with a single IP address between them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Just to clarify, did the two members concerned have identical IP Addresses at the exact same times? That would be extremely unlikely if they really were two totally unconnected people.

If they had the same IP address but at different times then it is plausible they could be different people. If they share an ISP then under DHCP it is possible for person A to log off completely and person B to log on and get the IP address previously given to person A. Would be a remarkable coincidence that they both sign in to the same forum however.

But in the main if two people have the same IP address then chances are they either are one real person or two people sharing an internet connection. Especially if they are both using the forum at the exact same time with a single IP address between them.

I'll bear that in mind Telly thanks.

What we do know is that the admin of a forum has banned a member and found, at the same time that the person they're querying has the identical IP. On being questioned they say it isn't them, their IP isn't static and they have said their iP address can put them in different locations in the country because of it. It just seems more like to win the lottery than have the same IP on the same forum but we're wanting to make sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    Also bear in mind that it's not just a home network that can "hide" behind one IP address, quite often even large corporate networks can present just one or two "real" IP addresses to the internet at large, when they have hundreds or thousands of PCs on their network internally.
    A good point.

But in the case presented here it would be fairly simple to check. Assuming the forum member in question is being honest (s)he could quite easily confirm if they were using a work connection and there could be another employee using the same connection that they were not aware of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your gut feeling it is the same person then you are probably right whether static or dynamic can't see an isp assigning the same address as this would cause a conflict and flagged or connection denied somewhere along the line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Two completely separate people could appear to have the same ip address at the same time if they both used a VPN service such as purevpn and they were both connected to the same server.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your gut feeling it is the same person then you are probably right whether static or dynamic can't see an isp assigning the same address as this would cause a conflict and flagged or connection denied somewhere along the line.

We're suspicious..the problem is on another forum but it may come to ours and that's why we need to know. I don't understand how an IP address can sometimes put someone in, for eg, Yorkshire, then Lancashire, then the Midlands, etc, but they have said this is what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two completely separate people could appear to have the same ip address at the same time if they both used a VPN service such as purevpn and they were both connected to the same server.

Ah right..I'm confused though as to how the IP can show different counties of the country. But if this is the case you mentioned here, that could be the reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah right..I'm confused though as to how the IP can show different counties of the country. But if this is the case you mentioned here, that could be the reason.
    How are you determining the location though? On where the person says they are or tracing the IP address. In theory tracing the IP address should end up at whatever location the ISP registered for that block of addresses.

Mind you I have just tried a couple of random IP Address tracing sites returned by a bit of googling and apparently at this precise moment I am in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales somewhere north of Skipton. Or I could be in the Irish sea just off Douglas on the Isle of Man :confused:
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Geolocation software is not always 100% accurate. E.g. Virgin use a block of IP and sometimes addresses in these blocks move around as they re-segment their network.

In answer to your first question, it HIGHLY unlike that two people have the same IP address unless they share their internet connection, e.g. same house, same wifi hotspot, same work or school or they are using the same proxy/vpn service.

The way most DHCP servers work, unless the ISP has seriously over allocated the number of users to each subnet or a ISP resegments their network, DHCP servers generally remember MAC address (of your modem/router) to which they allocate a IP to and will keep giving that MAC the same IP.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, can someone help me here please.

I'm a mod on another forum and we're struggling to clarify something.

Can two people have the exact same IP address? We have a member who says you can but we just want to make sure :)
    If the ip traces to an academic institution or company maybe, otherwise they're lieing, then again, it's probably unlikely you are going to get two people from the same company/institution posting on the same forum unless there is some obvious connection, so they probably are lieing anyway:D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the ip can only be used by 1 physical connection once, such as an adsl connection, the router transmits on that, however many computers canshare the connection, using PAT and NAT

so the 2 members are both connected on the same connection, either 2 computers in the house or if the wireless has been hacked unknowingly
  • Options
    100 monkeys100 monkeys Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    The way most DHCP servers work, unless the ISP has seriously over allocated the number of users to each subnet or a ISP resegments their network, DHCP servers generally remember MAC address (of your modem/router) to which they allocate a IP to and will keep giving that MAC the same IP.

Aye a MAC address will "reserve" an ip address on a single subnet and that same ip address should not be given to another MAC address (obviously not talking about manually assigning addresses here).

jzee wrote: »
    ...it's probably unlikely you are going to get two people from the same company/institution posting on the same forum....

I would tend to disagree. Many people in an office will discuss the sites they visit and often frequent the same forums etc. Seen it in many places of work. That may also explain why the forum is reporting the same ip.

OP to help solve your problem it would help to ask how this poster is accessing the forum via this ip. If it's a home connection then they are the same person, using the same connection, or (and this being extremely unlikely) using the same VPN or proxy service. The last option in my mind would mean they most likely know each other at any rate.
  • Options
    PimpurlPimpurl Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Ask the cookie monster :D
  • Options
    ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember reading something in the past regarding some ISPs using proxy servers, probably for caching of content - which meant that thousands of their customers would have the same IP address.

There was some issues of IP addresses being banned which affects loads of customers, not just one.

I think the whole act of banning/monitoring IP addresses is too risky with issues such as dynamic IPs, companies with thousands of computers sharing one internet connection, etc.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye a MAC address will "reserve" an ip address on a single subnet and that same ip address should not be given to another MAC address (obviously not talking about manually assigning addresses here).
    Plus generally DHCP devices request a renewal after 50% of lease time so on a 'always on' connection you are even less likely to keep switching addresses. The only time I have come across connections with constantly changing IP is with dial-up and 3G.
    I would tend to disagree. Many people in an office will discuss the sites they visit and often frequent the same forums etc. Seen it in many places of work. That may also explain why the forum is reporting the same ip.
    I would generally agree with this, people talk about the forums at work and multiple people sign up. The main exception is if they want to bitch about their work colleagues, lol
    using the same VPN or proxy service.
    If some is using a public VPN or proxy service I would have to wonder why. I can understand people do it for anonimity but in a situation like this where there is some doubt, I would difiniately ask them to make a connect directly to confirm the details.

TBH, if you have lost confidence in this member, then do you really want them on your board anymore. Its not like they can turn around and sue you for banning them, its not a service they are paying for. The way I see it, the board is 'owned' by the mods, not the posters and the mods word is final.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite possible for two people to present the same public IP address to a forum if their ISP uses proxies.

Virgin have used these in the past but with separate IP addresses. AOL was well known for presenting a single IP address to websites because of proxies, used to cause people on forums lots of problems.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    if they are using mobile broadband, you know with like a dongle. many many customers will have the same IP.