Martina Cole "The Runaway" tonight on Sky 1

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    Enjoying the show now, although I do share other posters concerns that the show's not wholly accurate - wasn't the World Trade Centre shown when they landed in NYC in the 60's!!??

Glad I'm not the only one who spotted that...I thought I was seeing things! :)

I have to admit that I nearly gave up on this after the first episode as I really didn't like it at all. I thought it was confusing with all the different characters and I wasn't really sure who the main character was meant to be as they focussed on so many different ones. I only stuck with it because it was based on a MC book (although I haven't actually read this one) and I really enjoyed the version they did of The Take (although again, they did make it different to what actually happened in the book)

But after seeing Thursday's episode I thought it really picked up and was quite gripping and I am keen to see how it all ends up now. Btw, there are actually six episodes to this, not four, so there are still a couple of weeks yet before it finishes :)
  • The Mad JokerThe Mad Joker Posts: 5,397
    Forum Member

I have to admit that I nearly gave up on this after the first episode as I really didn't like it at all. I thought it was confusing with all the different characters and I wasn't really sure who the main character was meant to be as they focussed on so many different ones. I only stuck with it because it was based on a MC book (although I haven't actually read this one) and I really enjoyed the version they did of The Take (although again, they did make it different to what actually happened in the book)

But after seeing Thursday's episode I thought it really picked up and was quite gripping and I am keen to see how it all ends up now. Btw, there are actually six episodes to this, not four, so there are still a couple of weeks yet before it finishes :)

i think martina cole works on the tv versions aswell
  • Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Enjoying the show now, although I do share other posters concerns that the show's not wholly accurate - wasn't the World Trade Centre shown when they landed in NYC in the 60's!!??QUOTE]

Sorry, only just caught up with this episode - yes, it jumped out of the screen at me too - I wondered whether we had jumped to the 70's but didn't think so.

Showing the WTC was such a stupid mistake to make.
  • Mad MaxMad Max Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I almost gave up on this after EP 1 .. thought Cathy and Eamons acting dire, surely producer could find two proper Londoners to take those parts!?

But Alan Cumming and Ken Stott completely saved this drama.. and Keith Allen although hate to say that.

I'ts got me gripped although a little far fetched at times... I mean Cathy supposedly being 14 just wasnt plausable.

Really enjoying it and cant wait for next week.
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    Mad Max wrote: »
    I almost gave up on this after EP 1 .. thought Cathy and Eamons acting dire, surely producer could find two proper Londoners to take those parts!?

But Alan Cumming and Ken Stott completely saved this drama.. and Keith Allen although hate to say that.

I'ts got me gripped although a little far fetched at times... I mean Cathy supposedly being 14 just wasnt plausable.

Really enjoying it and cant wait for next week.

Agree with everything you say.

I don't dislike Martina Cole, enjoyed her series about murderers. But literally CANNOT read her books, they're just all mish mash of lots of dialogue from confusing characters, time jumps, plot jumps. So, I was glad they've interpreted it for TV and made it slightly more comprehensible.... just!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Enjoying the show now, although I do share other posters concerns that the show's not wholly accurate - wasn't the World Trade Centre shown when they landed in NYC in the 60's!!??QUOTE]

Sorry, only just caught up with this episode - yes, it jumped out of the screen at me too - I wondered whether we had jumped to the 70's but didn't think so.

Showing the WTC was such a stupid mistake to make.
    Another error tonight. The bomb at the Post Office Tower went off at 4:30 in the morning on 31st October (1971) so it would have been dark outside and not, as shown, daylight.
  • iceblue fiat 50iceblue fiat 50 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Alan Cumming is brilliant. did he base his character on Angie Watts from Eastenders......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    But literally CANNOT read her books, they're just all mish mash of lots of dialogue from confusing characters, time jumps, plot jumps. So, I was glad they've interpreted it for TV and made it slightly more comprehensible.... just!

Thought I was the only one. I've tried to read 2 Martina Cole books and they were incomprehensible.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Alan Cumming is brilliant. did he base his character on Angie Watts from Eastenders......

Alan Cumming is the only thing that is making this worth watching for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Cumming is the only thing that is making this worth watching for me.

Alan Cumming is the reason I started watching it.

I remember seeing him when he did Victor & Barry with Forbes Mason many years ago.
    Forum Member
    writerlady wrote: »
    Thought I was the only one. I've tried to read 2 Martina Cole books and they were incomprehensible.

She's obviously from an old skool EE gangster background and has massive insight which gained her the credentials but her literary skills are not good. Neither are her speaking skills come to it. I dunno how her books get published without severe moderation or editing by someone else (or maybe they are) but strikes me someone who cannot pronounce words surely can't spell them?

I feel bad slating her, I don't dislike the woman from what I've seen of her shows. It's just quite clear that on an intellectual level she's about on par with Jade Goody (RIP). I think for her books and dramatisations to really punch hard she should be interviewed and have the stories debriefed and then a scriptwriter / author do the construction.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caz_1969 wrote: »
    Alan Cumming is the reason I started watching it.

I remember seeing him when he did Victor & Barry with Forbes Mason many years ago.

loving alan cummings in this!!:D he has stolen the show as far as I'm concerned!!:D

can anyone tell me what happened this week as i missed thursday's episode!

love seeing ken stott on screen again but i have seen him in better things [messiah, vice etc]
    Forum Member
    Alan Cummings is fab he's the star of this show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    agree re the books, I can't read them either, they don't do anything for me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've a feeling that sky 1 repeat this show or am i imagining things?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    loving alan cummings in this!!:D he has stolen the show as far as I'm concerned!!:D

can anyone tell me what happened this week as i missed thursday's episode!

love seeing ken stott on screen again but i have seen him in better things [messiah, vice etc]

Its repeated again on Wednesday or can be download
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its repeated again on Wednesday or can be download

really? i dont have sky +
    :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    really? i dont have sky +
    :o

are you a sky customer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are you a sky customer?

sorry just noticed sky player only has first 3 eps.

its repeated at 11pm on Wednesday on Sky1

just noticed that it has watch latest ep, so might be able to watch Thursdays. I cant as i have sky through virgin media so i cant watch.

i have sent you a PM
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with most people here about this show, it just lacks some intelligence dialogue and a few cleverly written twists. Seems to be gangster by numbers in places and really nothing when you compare it to some things of similar style.

The guy who plays Eamonn (Jack O'Connell), I think he's not a terrible actor or anything but has been miscast for this role, I just don't see him as his hard nut gangster type at all and is laughable in places when he's trying to act tough, he is too skinny and not at all menacing looking. I'm sure there would of been some actor better suited to the role.

Even Keith Allen, he's okish but someone else would of been better that was more tough look to them, he doesn't really come across as this hard gangster type, but in places he's ok. I do struggle to believe he was the one in charge of that area of London though as he only seemed to have 1 or 2 guys working from him too.

Alan Cummings is great though and does at least give it some cred.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the first episode of this but have watched all of them since. Deep it isn't, but it's entertaining in a gangstery, sex n' violence sort of way.

Alan Cummings is the best thing in it by miles but I rather liked Ken Stott as well.

I wonder if I have missed a lot of meaning by not seeing the first episode as I am struggling to see what Cathy sees in Eamon - he appears to be whole heartedly psychopathic! I haven't spotted any redeeming features in him yet.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    whatsoever wrote: »
    I missed the first episode of this but have watched all of them since. Deep it isn't, but it's entertaining in a gangstery, sex n' violence sort of way.

Alan Cummings is the best thing in it by miles but I rather liked Ken Stott as well.

I wonder if I have missed a lot of meaning by not seeing the first episode as I am struggling to see what Cathy sees in Eamon - he appears to be whole heartedly psychopathic! I haven't spotted any redeeming features in him yet.

Cathys mother was not exactly maternal!!!...Eamon being her almost step brother was the nearest thing she had to stability..he was there for her when she was younger and things were still innocentish between them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    Cathys mother was not exactly maternal!!!...Eamon being her almost step brother was the nearest thing she had to stability..he was there for her when she was younger and things were still innocentish between them.

But hasn't someone mentioned that he raped her, or did I misundertand that?
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    whatsoever wrote: »
    But hasn't someone mentioned that he raped her, or did I misundertand that?

She fancied him,he fancied her..for a long time they kissed a little..then they were kissing and it went further..she wanted to to begin with and then got scared..he carried on,she just went quiet..yes it was rape as it was obvious she changed her mind [part way through but he didnt actually attack her..they both wanted to started and then she changed from willing to scared..they still got on OK after that and he apologised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person who sees a Wuthering Heights type vibe to this? Boy and Girl brought up as brother and sister who fall in love in childhood, he's a brooding, tortured type and she marries someone else etc. She's even called Cathy!