Blind or home made curtains on back door

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
Forum Member
Hi

I have a new blind on my kitchen window, and wanted a blind or just curtains on my back door..Its a new(ish) door, so i dont really want to drill anything on it..How do i go about doing something..My sister is good at these things, as they had a curtain on their door, not sure if she even did it herself..I dont want to ask her cos theyve done loads for me already ( fitted the blind(s), there were two)..Is it easy to make curtain one..Kitchen is all pink and cupcakey :D I have seen some material online with cupcakes on, but not sure..Hope someone is good at this sort of thing , to give me some tips..Back door is looking lonely without anything on it lol

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean something to go on a Portiere rod or just a light curtain to cover glass?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    ardwark wrote: »
    Do you mean something to go on a Portiere rod or just a light curtain to cover glass?

this one..Or the either one..lol..Just to cover the glass really
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely you just hem all the way round a piece of material of an appropriate length and width with a deeper hem at one end and then secure it with some curtain wire, hooks and eyes or a lightweight pole?

Do you sew?

Fitting a Portiere rod may be a little ambitious for you.
    Forum Member
    ardwark wrote: »
    Surely you just hem all the way round a piece of material of an appropriate length and width with a deeper hem at one end and then secure it with some curtain wire, hooks and eyes or a lightweight pole?

Do you sew?

Fitting a Portiere rod may be a little ambitious for you.

yeah i thought it would read easy, but not so easy at sewing it..I cant use a machine but i can try it at hand sew..I was useless at school, i never took the stuff in and got told off for doing so :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't know how to measure for the material either do you? :D

Ask your sister to do it and pay her for it. It's not a big job but still it's her time. Maybe a tenner.

Get some curtain wire from screwfix or B&Q or similar.

Hand sewing will look a mess unless you are an accomplished seamstress which it doesn't sound like you are. :D
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I agree with aardwark, if you use the kind of plastic-covered wire you hang net curtains from, you can easily screw in the tiny hooks you need to attach it to the door. Even I could do that:D

I was useless at needlework at school, can't use a machine either. But I have made simple curtains. It can't really get much easier, it's all straight lines! All you need is to hem it on each edge, with a slightly larger hem at the top to slide the curtain wire through. I am sure you could do it.:)
  • Roger MoreRoger More Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Kitchen is all pink and cupcakey :D I have seen some material online with cupcakes on, but not sure..Hope someone is good at this sort of thing ,
    Dearest Poppet I have just spoken on your behalf to my dear old friend Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen in the hope of some useful advice in this matter. He said he is terribly sorry but this brief is way out of even his depth.

He suggested we give Graham Wynne a call as 'this kind of stuff is right up his alley', but sadly he's not one of my dear old friends and I don't have his number to hand (I also have a suspicion that the dandy fellow may have been attempting a joke at Graham's expense, but you can never tell with him.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally would opt for a Portiere rod myself :)

Not many people seem to know what they are, though :)

I think they are a brilliant invention myself :)
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    A portiere rod is great if, e.g., you want to hang a heavy curtain over a doorway. But I think it would be over-engineering just for a piece of decorative cupcake fabric to cover the glass :D
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can't sew, you can always use wondaweb for the hems, maybe even for channel at top for curtain wire
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    You can get a spring-loaded tension curtain rod for hanging lightweight curtains, it sort of wedges in, without need for screws etc.

If you get a single ready made curtain, all you need to do is 'thread' it on, fix the pole and that's it.
  • Annie1fortennisAnnie1fortennis Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get a spring-loaded tension curtain rod for hanging lightweight curtains, it sort of wedges in, without need for screws etc.

If you get a single ready made curtain, all you need to do is 'thread' it on, fix the pole and that's it.

Orangemaid, this is the one for you!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid, this is the one for you!
    Thank you!

I needed to research one for myself, when I got a curtain for my own door - which is made of UPVC and I also didn't want to make holes in it.
    Forum Member
    Just got back to this thread :)

I think i might have to leave it now, as i have a wall recess and the blind will bang into it when the back door is opened ( fully)..Its in the wintertime when its darker at night i wanted it for, but have to see
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a glass panel in my back door too.
    We bought some of that window fablon and have put it on the glass panel. Got it from Wilkinsons I think.
    The sheets are lightly patterened so there is a choice and it is easy to peel off if you don't like the effect.
    You can still get the light coming into the room but people cannot peep through your window. Suits us fine.