Google getting bloody everywhere and it's pissing me off

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I only have some of those and but they are turned off or uninstalled them. Google have switched to apps for much of their stuff rather than make it OS embedded !

I turn off Google Location services too. That power of control is why it is not Orwellian.
    I recall testing Google Voice translation a couple of years back, was extremely impressed but really, I have not used or seen it or been i nconvenienced by it since.

Contrast that to IOS and might well sigh with relief. They even include 'Frequent locations' in their Orwellian no option tracking, though there you have permission to turn off that in the long list of IOS spam opportunities there. And re uninstall, well you can't even turn stuff off with permanent bloatware Apple, especially if you want the GPS to still work.

Honestly PFG, be grateful you have Android. The grass is only painted green elsewhere.

I can't get rid of any of them apps as they are on my Nexus 4 when I got it, I can hide them and that is it. i don't really use any of those apps, apart from the contacts in Gmail.

You are right that thanks to Android the phone market is not dominated by just one OS, what I am waiting for is a pure Linux phone, but I still think that is a while away
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google Chrome runs these things in the background, whether the Browser is open or not. There is the option in the settings to stop these running in the background automatically and have them only activate when Chrome is opened.
    You mean extensions? I don't have any, not even a Google mail extension.

Youngsters probably like contacts and such like to be a seamless part of the OS.
    It will certainly become more like that on the PC too.
    I'm now half expecting Noise to say 'Ruddy control panel, how do I get rid of it!'
    :eek:

It is funny how we talk about nuisances and ever so little about good/bad software.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean extensions? I don't have any, not even a Google mail extension.

Youngsters probably like contacts and such like to be a seamless part of the OS.
    It will certainly become more like that on the PC too.
    I'm now half expecting Noise to say 'Ruddy control panel, how do I get rid of it!'
    :eek:

What control panel? If you mean the one in windows why would I want to get rid of it?
    It is funny how we talk about nuisances and ever so little about good/bad software.

That is true,

Good software for me is Sony Vegas, hitman, once i learned how to use it to it's full potential. Libre office and Scribus.

Bad software is Photoshop, while it is powerful, it is too heavy and After effects, again powerful, but far too heavy. any roxio software, gone expesnive and way over the top .
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    On my Android phone I have all kinds of Google crap I never use, but cannot get rid of: Google+, Google Hangouts, Gmail, Chrome, Play Books, PLay Games, Play Movies and TV, Talk, and an encouragement to sign in every time I sneeze. Important point: I can't get rid of them.

And anyone whose corporate slogan is Do No Evil has got to be suspect. Take a look at Google maps and look for Tibet. You won't find it anymore, though despite being invaded by China it is still country in its own right. Why won't you find it? Cos Google doesn't want to f*ck off the the Chinese hand that feeds it. Do No Evil, my arse.

PS If the earlier allusion to a 'superior' OS was to Apple, it might bring all the 'Mac community' (Motto: Only Look Down On Everyone) a little down to earth that now Jobs is pushing up the daisies, the driving force is gone and bit by bit Apple will slowly lose it and become just another juggernaut company. They are already thinking of ditching Cook.

Which idiot blog did you garner this gem from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    ///Good software for me is ...gone expesnive and way over the top .
    Good is usually what you use, at a price you are prepared to pay.

I'm still confused if the OP installed any Chrome extensions and then proceeded to forget about them though lack of use.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    They weren't as sly in the early part of the last decade the way they are now. The tricks they try now just to try and get you to unknowingly install junk on your system. Things like greying out a checkbox to make you think that it can't be checked. They'll try all sorts.

Yes, I've noticed that, too, which doesn't actually speak for good faith. I was fooled once or twice before I cottoned on.
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I never get asked to sign up for anything. I don't have hangouts or Google+ nagging for anything. I don't use GMail app to get my mail, the only 'Play' anything I have is the store. I've never signed up to google+ and just use the services I want.
    Take control of your phone and get some things turned off.
    All that said, why have a Google OS and then complain that they push their services?

Well, many manufacturers tailor what they carry and maybe mine (a Huawei) opts to go for the full set. As for 'uninstalling' Google apps, you can't, and often you can't even get them to stop. And it's not that they are pushing their services - I agree, why shouldn't they, they aren't charities - it is how they are pushing them which pisses me off.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, many manufacturers tailor what they carry and maybe mine (a Huawei) opts to go for the full set. As for 'uninstalling' Google apps, you can't, and often you can't even get them to stop.

that's not the case. any app from around 4.0 onwards can be at least disabled; from Gmail and Maps, right the way to Search and the Play Store itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come PFG knows what he is doing on Windows but not on Chrome for Windows nor Google Android as shown by the replies?

Sheep alert, troll I know not what.
    Forum Member
    Google now is amazing.

.. says one of the PR firm hired to big up the company.
    Forum Member
    I have been having silly trouble with a debit card registered to my Google account and the problem has highlighted another dubious aspect of Google, that it is nigh-on impossible to get in touch. I started another thread, but you can find details here.

Whatever the cheerleaders say and despite the freebies I make use of, mainly the Blogger facility, as far as I am concerned on balance Google looses on points and I wouldn't shed a tear if the company went tits up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I last tried it several years ago. I simply don't use it but I was also shocked how good it was too. But that was the quality of the voice recognition.

Siri is very different, it always has to send your voice to a supercomputer for processing.

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-use-google-now-166222/

Now cards are getting very popular, and if you read up you can see why. I likely won't be bothering with it still, but that's just me.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont work for google. I'm a games dev. If you search my posts you can find that out. :confused:

What dont you like about it?

* How it displays calendar appointments in a shared calendar with your wife.
    * How it prompts about road works on the way to work or home from work
    * Prompts about different routes you should take home from work
    * Prompts about gates opening at airports.
    * Prompts with food recipes randomly that are of interest to you, that you've not even thought about.
    * Prompts with trending topical news reports related to what your interested in? (such as for me E3, Android or Gaming generally)?

All this in your pocket and i experience this personally every week, apart from the airports thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont work for google. I'm a games dev. If you search my posts you can find that out. :confused:

What dont you like about it?

* How it displays calendar appointments in a shared calendar with your wife.
    * How it prompts about road works on the way to work or home from work
    * Prompts about different routes you should take home from work
    * Prompts about gates opening at airports.
    * Prompts with food recipes randomly that are of interest to you, that you've not even thought about.
    * Prompts with trending topical news reports related to what your interested in? (such as for me E3, Android or Gaming generally)?

All this in your pocket and i experience this personally every week, apart from the airports thing.

I can understand if you are travailing a lot, like it seem you do, then it could be useful, but for a lot of people who more or less do the same thing each day, then it is nto so useful. That is one of the reason I disabled it on my phone.
    Forum Member
    You are right that thanks to Android the phone market is not dominated by just one OS, what I am waiting for is a pure Linux phone, but I still think that is a while away

I do wonder just how useful it is to get rid of one bully, but thereby installing another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, there is no such thing.

The essence of Linux is the kernel. The rest is individual so to me, in reality Android is as Linux as the rest of them.
    The other big software company Microsoft, are using Android Linux too, but even there they have used Google Android layer.
    So if they can't do it, does anyone now have the full software ability to start with only the Linux kernel? People are trying, but badly so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder just how useful it is to get rid of one bully, but thereby installing another.

I don't want to get rid of any of them, just need competition, it is a pity Blackberry is not doing any better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, there is no such thing.

The essence of Linux is the kernel. The rest is individual so to me, in reality Android is as Linux as the rest of them.
    The other big software company Microsoft, are using Android Linux too, but even there they have used Google Android layer.
    So if they can't do it, does anyone now have the full software ability to start with only the Linux kernel? People are trying, but badly so far.

A pure linux phone would be ideal, proper open source and maybe none of this trying to force you to use other services and no spying
    Forum Member
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    Which idiot blog did you garner this gem from?

I didn't garner it from any idiot blog. It's what's going to happen. Steve Jobs was the driving force behind Apple with an ability to choose innovative staff. He's now dead and he hasn't been replaced. It will sooner or later just become another juggernaut company recycling the innovations made by Jobs with ever decreasing returns. I don't mean financially, I mean in terms of prestige. I take it your another of the 'Mac community'.
    Forum Member
    How come PFG knows what he is doing on Windows but not on Chrome for Windows nor Google Android as shown by the replies?

Sheep alert, troll I know not what.

Surprise, surprise resorting to ad hominem, always the sign of running out of arguments.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I didn't garner it from any idiot blog. It's what's going to happen. Steve Jobs was the driving force behind Apple with an ability to choose innovative staff. He's now dead and he hasn't been replaced. It will sooner or later just become another juggernaut company recycling the innovations made by Jobs with ever decreasing returns. I don't mean financially, I mean in terms of prestige. I take it your another of the 'Mac community'.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/the-future-of-apple-will-it-be-doom-or-boom--1254862
    I don't own a Mac, just thought you might be interested as it ties in with your theories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprise, surprise resorting to ad hominem, always the sign of running out of arguments.
    Well the Google thing makes little sense. Like I said I don't even use Chrome, you are not locked in.
    I don't even use Hangouts for messaging, though I do know it works on IOS too, unlike iMessage which sounds a right 'walled garden' pain. IOS maps may just be improving beyond the joke, so one day that could be worth having. However I'm unsure if anyone would miss it.

I say IOS stuff is more innocuous mainly because we don't/can't have it even though I don't even use much google stuff. We don't truely need Apple nor Google do we, at least beyond that base system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All these messaging systems are confusing anyway, I have got Facebook messenger and SMS on my phone and that is it. Ok Hangout is on the phone, but I don't use it.

The reason being is because everyone I know that have a mobile phone can receive text messages and these days even oj PAYG, text normally get bundled in
    Facebook because some people do contact me via Facebook and now the message part have gone off the main app.

Google Hang out may be ok, but I have no idea who uses it and who don't, the same with any other service.

It does feel as if Google is everywhere and Google glass should be banned before it even start selling over here.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google glass should be banned before it even start selling over here.

Too late :D
    Forum Member
    A week or two ago, someone here, or maybe even several, said I was talking bollocks when I said Google Chrome starts processes without the browser even being launched.

Well, today I tried to uninstall it from my works PC and just couldn't - and it's not part of the works set-up, Internet Explorer is our official browser. I had previously installed it because a colleague recommended it as faster. Well, perhaps, but it is also hellishly bloated. But whatever.

When I tried to uninstall it, I was told by 'close it first'. That was odd because I haven't actually opened it in a few months (I use Opera). So given that our works' PCs hardly ever get switched off for the memory to be cleared, I rebooted assuming that if Chrome were running, it would be shut down. Then when I was up and running and before I had launched ANYTHING I looked at the task manager and noticed EIGHT Google Chrome processes are running even though the browser hasn't even been launched. This is what I said earlier and was told I was talking crap. Well, I did some screenshots which you can find here and I should like some 'Google is great' freak to explain to me just what the bloody hell is going on. Click on each pic to expand it and see it properly.

PS STILL can't bloody uninstall Chrome - see pic saying 'close window' or something. F*ck Google.