The Ridiculous Over Marking On DWTS...

OakOak Posts: 3,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
... Is ruining the show.

Do the judges even have the 1 - 7 scoring paddle thingies? Monday night was the last straw. After being critical about Jennie and Marie's dances (rightly so) the judges still gave them 8s. What a joke. I watched last season but I don't remember the marking being as ridiculously high as it has been throughout this season. It really does make me appreciate the UK version more.

In addition to this, how can the judges complain when one of the better dancers like Sabrina is eliminated, or in the bottom 2 like Mel was, when THEY are the ones scoring whom they believe to be the weaker dancers so highly?!

Comments

• SuzeieSuzeie Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be a 'Pedantic Pat' but there's a dedicated DWTS board (see the link at the top of the page):D. Also I agree the marks on DWTS were in the upper stratosphere from week one, tho' that was probably because of Sabrina.

D'ur, having a bit of a spaced out moment there, v. v. sorry, didn't even notice I was still on the DWTS thread (hangs head in shame).
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind also the cultural difference, they are much more into affirmation than we are over here, although it makes things more difficult for the judges the closer it gets to the end.
  • Sari~Sari~ Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't think cultural differences can be the true reason for the insane marks. I'm American and have to say it's been one of my major pet peeves not just this year, but previous years as well. It's may be worse this year, but it's not a new phenomena, and not something it seems the producers want to fix. I guess I can understand that the celebrities don't want to be embarrassed by a 2 or 3, but at the same time having no one placed lower than a 7 takes all the accomplishment out of getting a 9 or 10.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I would say also they are nearer the end in the US than we are in the UK and they have also eliminated anyone who was far behind the rest in terms of standard so higher scores are to perhaps be expected.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do find it annoying when the audience start booing and hissing when a Judge says a comment that isn't 100% praiseworthy. Consequently, the only American Judge Carrie-Ann always talks about things being "a hair out"... of synch, timing, lack of steps, technique whatever, when in fact, in the case of Marie's Jive it was a chasm out, not "a hair". I don't think it helps when the celebs get feedback from legendary professional dancers like Shirley Ballas that Marie's Jive "contained all the Jive moves and deserved straight 10s", according to Jonathan on ET. :confused:
  • OakOak Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    I would say also they are nearer the end in the US than we are in the UK and they have also eliminated anyone who was far behind the rest in terms of standard so higher scores are to perhaps be expected.

Marie, Cameron and Jennie (just recently) are not the better dancers in the competition. There is no way their dances should have got 8s and 9s on the last show. 6s and 7s yes, but not 8s and 9s. As I said in my first post, the over marking has been going on all season, not just recently. Hence my comment about the judges not having their 1 - 7 scoring paddles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They had the 7 paddle up till the last 2 rounds, when suddenly an average dance - in terms of comments - started receiving straight 8s. So obviously a directive was given, and 7 became the new 8 for the latter rounds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they carry on like this they may as well do away with the judges scores and let the audience decide. After they have worked out the judges score by percentage the difference between the couples is negligable anyway.

I have seen couples look disappointed at 8's and even 9's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know! Unless it's a 10, they seem to feel it's not a "great" dance in these later rounds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure this overmarking in DWTS is all that serious, lets face it, john Barnes got a 10 for that very average salsa.

What I would say, is that in DWTS, although they do overmark, they usually get the right order, the best performer is usually top, the worst is bottom and that at the end of the day is the most important thing as it affects the results. Whether someone gets three 7's or three 8's is irrelevant, as long as the judges are consistent with their overmarking :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, I loved John's Salsa. :D
    Forum Member
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Aw, I loved John's Salsa. :D

I enjoyed it too, but when Gethin and Aleesha are getting nines.....................
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least with Strictly there is someone who balances out the ridiculous marking - Craig. With Dancing with Stars I cannot see anyone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    The gradual throwing away of lower scoring paddles seems almost inevitable...first all the average dancers are stuck on 21 in the early weeks and then as it gets closer to the end no one can get under 24. It annoys me because it makes the scores less meaningful, but to be fair as mscaviy said the order of the scoreboard is usually correct.
    Forum Member
    I wonder if there's a psychological basis behind this to encourage phone votes. Perhaps they have a theory that if the scores are closely bunched, viewers are more likely to vote than if there was a large discrepancy in points. People may not feel there was much point in voting for a couple so far behind in points. That reads horribly, possibly better illustrated with an example:

Lets say your favourite is Marie. Imagine she has performed a dance that was significantly worse than the other three but the scores came out as below:

Helio 10,10,10 = 30
    Jennie 10,10,9 = 29
    Mel 10,10,9 =29
    Marie 9,9,9 =27

If the scores were like this however, might you be less likely to vote because she seems too far behind:
    Helio 10,10,10 = 30
    Jennie 10,10,9 = 29
    Mel 10,10,9 =29
    Marie 7,7,6 = 20

Just a theory. Of course it's just as likely that they overscore to massage celeb egos:)
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure that scoring everyone ALMOST the same isn't such a bad thing - in Strictly the 2 couples at the bottom of the leaderboard will nearly always be saved by the public - by having half the couples joint first, and the rest joint second (or near as!) it is difficult for the viewers to vote just to save the bottom ones!
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mscaviy wrote: »
    ...What I would say, is that in DWTS, although they do overmark, they usually get the right order, the best performer is usually top, the worst is bottom and that at the end of the day is the most important thing as it affects the results. Whether someone gets three 7's or three 8's is irrelevant, as long as the judges are consistent with their overmarking :)

I kind of agree with this LOL!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mscaviy wrote: »
    I'm not sure this overmarking in DWTS is all that serious, lets face it, john Barnes got a 10 for that very average salsa.

What I would say, is that in DWTS, although they do overmark, they usually get the right order, the best performer is usually top, the worst is bottom and that at the end of the day is the most important thing as it affects the results. Whether someone gets three 7's or three 8's is irrelevant, as long as the judges are consistent with their overmarking :)

On the subject of John's Salsa I thought it was good enough to get a 40 bearing in mind the much vaunted Mark and Karen Salsa got a 40 last year. If nothing else he used genuine salsa music and not pop, R'n'B, or disco.

On the subject of overmarking I have been
    banging on about this since day one. Funnily enough I don't blame the judges for this. I suspect the hand of the network producers for the ridiculous scores. Altho as Len and Bruno are already predisposed to high scoring I suppose there isn't much wrestling with their consciences
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of John's Salsa I thought it was good enough to get a 40 bearing in mind the much vaunted Mark and Karen Salsa got a 40 last year. If nothing else he used genuine salsa music and not pop, R'n'B, or disco.

I must have watched a different show when John was dancing. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I totally agree! :D And he kept up with the faster beat throughout! With superior footwork to Ramps aswell. :cool:
    On the subject of overmarking I have been
    banging on about this since day one. Funnily enough I don't blame the judges for this. I suspect the hand of the network producers for the ridiculous scores. Altho as Len and Bruno are already predisposed to high scoring I suppose there isn't much wrestling with their consciences

LOL! :D I suspect you're quite right. It's a different culture, different atmosphere, it just wouldn't be acceptable to give negative criticism and low scores in America - not to the celebs, the pros or the audience and viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can not be serious that you think John's Salsa was better than Mark's????? (And no, I'm not a 'Karen' fan).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can not be serious that you think John's Salsa was better than Mark's????? (And no, I'm not a 'Karen' fan).

I am DEADLY serious!!!. If for nothing else than that they used genuine Salsa music. Hot Hot Hot is a Carnival standard and wouldn't be out of place at the Notting Hill Carnival and a Salsa couple might dance to it for a bit of a larf but Ran Can Can by Tito Puentes is the real deal and John's Salsa had far more Cuban content in it than Mark and Karen's Salsa
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am DEADLY serious!!!. If for nothing else than that they used genuine Salsa music. Hot Hot Hot is a Carnival standard and wouldn't be out of place at the Notting Hill Carnival and a Salsa couple might dance to it for a bit of a larf but Ran Can Can by Tito Puentes is the real deal and John's Salsa had far more Cuban content in it than Mark and Karen's Salsa

Sorry, you'll never persuade me on that one LOL!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well said Diamondlife, my ex-brother-in-law is a Cuban dancer/teacher, an African Cuban from Havana, and I suspect he would've said exactly the same thing (if I saw him again). ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, you'll never persuade me on that one LOL!

Then simply go to any half decent Salsa club