How do I tax a 2nd hand car I just bought?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
Forum Member
Just bought a second hand car, its sitting at the dealers until I get insurance and car tax.. the insurance is ok, I can just buy that online after ive looked around for the cheapest price but I have no idea how to tax the car, the official government website is very confusing. Please help, I wanna drive my car ASAP!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    How old is it? If 3 years or more it needs a valid MOT in order to tax it. You can tax it at a Post Office or Online but you need 3 things, the registration document called a V5 (or the tax reminder form the DVLA send you, or the New Keeper part of the V5 registration form, any of these will do it's just for the barcode/code number on it) along with your Insurance certificate and a valid MOT.

But, the dealer should be able to tax it for you, provided you can give him a) a copy of your insurance certificate once you have it, b) the cost of the tax.

If it were a private sale then using the New Keeper part of the V5 you could tax either at a Post Office or Online (assuming it has a new style MOT certificate - which it should be by now) The seller would send the rest of the form to the DVLA to confirm you are the new owner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    its 5 years old and has a valid MOT, I dont have the MOT details though just an invoice. Chap said I could do it at the post office but I dont know what I need or how I go about it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +You need to take your insurance ( or cover note) MOT to the PO and fill in a form , say if you want 6 or 12 mths and then hand over loads of money.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To tax a car at the post office you need:

Valid MOT certificate
    Valid Insurance document
    Log Book.

and the money of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We always tax the cars for our customers as the price of the tax is usually included in the price of the car. The customer just gives us the insurance and we do the rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    onthepunt wrote: »
    its 5 years old and has a valid MOT, I dont have the MOT details though just an invoice. Chap said I could do it at the post office but I dont know what I need or how I go about it.

You will need;

1) V5 registration document (or just the New Keeper part) because it has a barcode/code number which identifies your car to the computer at the Post Office.

2) Valid Insurance certificate.

3) MOT certificate - dealer must give you this as it is the ONLY proof it has a valid, legal MOT!! Don't just take his word for it. Police can ask for this if they stop you - there is NO other way to prove you have valid MOT.

Only with ALL these 3 bits of paper can you tax it, at a Post Office only. You can't do it online as they post the new tax disc to the registered keepers address and that won't be yours if you just bought it!!

It has got harder, not easier, to tax cars now. You can only "just fill in a form (it's a V10 form) at the Post Office and give them loads of money" if you are ALREADY the registered keeper of the vehicle with the DVLA NOT if you just bought it - that's why you need the New Keeper part of the V5, it identitfies you as the New legal owner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until you have your insureance and a valid MOT you cant get it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    oh alright cheers, i just bought the insurance so im waiting on the postie now.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hayley1970 wrote: »
    We always tax the cars for our customers as the price of the tax is usually included in the price of the car. The customer just gives us the insurance and we do the rest.

That is very nice business practice. I recently spent £10,000 on a second-hand car and still had to fork out the bloody tax for it as the dealer wouldn't chuck it into the deal.
  • ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    hayley1970 wrote: »

That's what has always happened to me whenever I've bought a second hand car. Thought it was standard practice to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onthepunt wrote: »
    oh alright cheers, i just bought the insurance so im waiting on the postie now.
    The cover note should suffice - but you will need the MOT certificate...