locking down certain apps on Android

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
I have just bought myself a Nexus 7 - shock horror for those who know me on here as an Apple fanboy, it's not all bad on the dark side :)

One question I have about Android is whether it is possible to lock down specific applications, in particular those that contain personal information. Although it is my personal tablet I want to be able to freely pass it around to family and friends for them to use and would like to disable e.g. my email

(Sent from my N7)

Comments

• flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming it's on the latest version of Android then you can create user accounts (Settings -> Users -> Add User) - if you create a separate Google account for the family to use, then create a new user and set it up to use that account you should be sorted.

The only downside is you will have to download apps again for that account (and if they are paid for apps, be aware you will need to pay for them again - it's all done per Google account).
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    Assuming it's on the latest version of Android then you can create user accounts (Settings -> Users -> Add User) - if you create a separate Google account for the family to use, then create a new user and set it up to use that account you should be sorted.

Will this also work on a brand new Galaxy Tab 2?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    Will this also work on a brand new Galaxy Tab 2?

Only if it's got Android 4.2 - don't know if the Tab 2 has been updated yet or not.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not bought it yet but think they update to Jelly Bean 4.1, I take it that release does'nt support user accounts?

I've tried searching but all this Android stuff moves along that fast that most info is out of date.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

The only downside is you will have to download apps again for that account (and if they are paid for apps, be aware you will need to pay for them again - it's all done per Google account).

Great, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have just upgraded to 4.2 and the Users option has appeared in settings. This has always been my biggest gripe with IOS, it makes it difficult to pass around one's own iPad for general use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    I've not bought it yet but think they update to Jelly Bean 4.1, I take it that release does'nt support user accounts?

Afraid not, it's a new feature in 4.2.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if it's got Android 4.2 - don't know if the Tab 2 has been updated yet or not.

It hasn't but it is on the list of devices that will get the jelly bean update.
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Locks down most stuff, including phonebook and phone settings if you want.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.domobile.applock