Advice please: What iPod type device to buy?

DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,226
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thinking ahead to Christmas (yes I know!) and want to buy my OH an "iPod" type device up to about £150.

Thing is I'm a novice about these things. I think iPOd's are restricted in what type of files they can play. Do they do DRM and WMP files?

So I'm asking for ideas of what sort of machine I can get that will play the most formats without too much hassle and restrictions.

As I say I'm a novice and don't even have a MP3 player myself so I not sure where to start or what to really look for.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will only play DRM files from Apple's store. What store is the DRM music from?
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will only play DRM files from Apple's store. What store is the DRM music from?

Music shack I think? Which is why I was thinking of something other than an iPod.
  • GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ipod Nano - £99
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Geeg wrote: »
    Ipod Nano - £99

Did you even read the original post? Their music is protected WMA files ..... so won't play on an iPod!

Anyway ...

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Portable_MP3_Players_5266512_3-protected_wma_drm

Plenty good choices on there.

Creative Zen Vision is a very good player.
    Some of the Sandisk Sansa players are also very good.
    iRiver players are nice too.

Loads to choose from.
  • GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Did you even read the original post? Their music is protected WMA files ..... so won't play on an iPod!

I did read it yes - clearly as I replied to it. But I don't know the formats as I have never had any problems playing music on an iPod. No need to be so rude.
  • Adam DAdam D Posts: 5,124
    Forum Member
    Geeg wrote: »
    I did read it yes - clearly as I replied to it. But I don't know the formats as I have never had any problems playing music on an iPod. No need to be so rude.
    I agree.

Although AFAIK they dont play WMA files and convert them though itunes before they go on, But if they are DRM protected then that will not be possible,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Agree all you want.

What annoys me about threads like this is that the guy asked for iPod alternatives and so far three out of four replies are all saying 'get an ipod'.

It's like the old Radio Times advert on the BBC with bloody iPods .... (there are other listings magazines available).
  • pokepiepokepie Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    WMA's play on my ipod (1st gen ipod nano). itunes usually just convert them which takes about five minutes. :)
  • andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    can you not run the wma files through wmp and burn them to disc? if so its just a case of then ripping cd to mp3 and your sorted.