Zaphodski wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Dark Star yet...?

At least two of us prior to yourself:)
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least two of us prior to yourself:)

I should use search more often :D I haven't seen it for a long time however it's one of those films that once seen is never forgotten. The beach ball alien, the Captain on ice and trying to reason with a bomb...great madcap humour :D
  • Options
    BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only one mention of Close encounters of the third kind?

No mention of :-Barbarella :D

Seriously though, love sci-fi so my list would be too long and really boring to read.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No votes for Battlefield: Earth then? :D
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about A.I.?
  • Options
    BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speigel wrote: »
    what about A.I.?

I think an eight day lack of replies answers that :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I forgot to mention Barbarella - how could I forget that one?
  • Options
    GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    SpaceBalls?
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always loved this film,

Hardware

It got good reviews when it came out but doesn't seem to have hit that cult following it deserves.

Great soundtrack as well.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best ever has to be Dune!
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting that there are no shouts for SERENITY

I never did quite get why people like Serenity so much. Firefly was okayish, but Serenity was just an action film with all the characters not quite right e.g. in typical Whedon style River becoming the world's best kickboxer after being a shy unstable girl.

I can see why Whedon fans might like it, as it ticks all the boxes. But for me as a casual observer, to put it even remotely near to the likes of Alien and Blade Runner is bunkum.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never did quite get why people like Serenity so much. Firefly was okayish, but Serenity was just an action film with all the characters not quite right e.g. in typical Whedon style River becoming the world's best kickboxer after being a shy unstable girl.

It wasnt out of the blue though. It's consistent with what we learned about her in the series. We saw in an epiosde that she had extraordinary gun fighting skills, which had been dormant up to that point. All part of what was done to her. Same with the martial art skills.
    I can see why Whedon fans might like it, as it ticks all the boxes. But for me as a casual observer, to put it even remotely near to the likes of Alien and Blade Runner is bunkum.

Youre right there of course.

I can fully understand why a casual observer may think it's over rated. Without a doubt there are sci fi movies which are far superior to Serenity, I think most fans are intelligent and reasonable enough to recognise that. However, that doesnt make us love the film any less.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Wars & The Matrix are probably my two favourites.
  • Options
    redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No mention yet for Quatermass and the Pit?
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Threads like this often seem to end up as a list of all SF films.

But I think maybe you under-rate Serenity. The opening sequence, with levels of reality nested 5 deep, is special, as is the long single take that follows it. River's story is coherent; her kick boxing is fully justified, and it leads to some great cinematic scenes. Her "my turn" is emotional and always makes me cry, and the actual fights are beautiful in the way of ballet.

Lots of the scenes have little details which make it stand out. For example, there's a moment when Mal is arguing with Jayne, and it's shot so that you see one of the others unfastening their weapon. There is some great dialogue, too. For example, the Operative telling Mal that there are innocent people dying above, meaning the Alliance crews, and Mal telling him it's more true than he knows, meaning the Reavers are innocent victims in this too.

If you prefer Alien or Blade Runner, that's fine. I like those films too. However, if I had to pick one of the three to watch tonight, it'd quite likely be Serenity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redtux wrote: »
    No mention yet for Quatermass and the Pit?

I'd say yes if you refer to the old Black and White BBC TV version. But not the film version.

I'd like to toss another one out there that I thought was pretty good honest Sci-Fi thats high on my list. Star Trek the Motion Picture. Not popular I believe because it lacks action, fist fights, etc etc. But the story idea and the gradual understanding of what is going on is superb in my eyes.

Plus, seeing it "blind" all those years ago, the Vyger moment was almost up there with the Statue in Planet of the Apes. A "whoa" moment....lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superior wrote: »
    I'd say yes if you refer to the old Black and White BBC TV version. But not the film version.

I'd like to toss another one out there that I thought was pretty good honest Sci-Fi thats high on my list. Star Trek the Motion Picture. Not popular I believe because it lacks action, fist fights, etc etc. But the story idea and the gradual understanding of what is going on is superb in my eyes.

Plus, seeing it "blind" all those years ago, the Vyger moment was almost up there with the Statue in Planet of the Apes. A "whoa" moment....lol.

Totally agree with you there.

It was definitely a film that meant so much more when it first came out and that's been lost now.

I remember going to see it with the whole family because we'd always watched Star Trek as a family. Every part of the film was significant for those who had grown up and/or old with the TV series.

Good soundtrack too.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Superior wrote: »
    I'd like to toss another one out there that I thought was pretty good honest Sci-Fi thats high on my list. Star Trek the Motion Picture.
    AKA Star Trek the slow-motion picture.

Actually I always quite liked it. Has that unique seventies widescreen grandeur to it that's always a marvel to behold. Certainly the most cinematic of the screen Treks.
  • Options
    ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Too many to mention

Bladerunner
    Alien/Aliens
    Star Wars franchise
    Star Trek franchise
    Matrix
    Dune
    Fifth Element
    Forbidden Planet
    Day the Earth stood still ( original not god awe full remake )
    War of the Worlds (remake was good but I prefer the original)
    Akira
    Ghost in the Shell (both films and the Series+OVA)
    District 9
    Terminator franchise
    Flash Gorden ( guilty pleasure) GORDEN'S ALIVE:D
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've grown up watching and reading Sci Fi, I remember Doctor Who when it first was shown almost fifty years ago.

I like many movies of this genre but favourites change from day to day so all I will say is that today, my favourite movie would be 'The day the earth caught fire'; mainly because I watched it again yesterday.
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i'm going to lower the tone and say 'Starship Troopers' Love that movie!
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Battle Beyond the Stars", or "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone"
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobbla wrote: »
    Well i'm going to lower the tone and say 'Starship Troopers' Love that movie!

On the contrary, Starship Troopers is well thought of. As both a sci-fi shoot-em-up, and clever satire it works brilliantly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    On the contrary, Starship Troopers is well thought of. As both a sci-fi shoot-em-up, and clever satire it works brilliantly.

It was slated when it came out.

Glad to see it's getting reapraised, it's a clever film. Too clever for the critics of the time.

I bought it for my son when it was first released on video, he was about eight at the time.:o
    Can't remember why, I think I'd seen something that made me think it was a bit like Star Wars.

Well, once over the shock, it's become a family favourite. :D

"Frankly I find the very idea of a bug that thinks offensive":D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    They Live - John Carpenter (when he was good) :D

Blade Runner - Ridley Scott ( the best fusion of music and film ....... Vangelis masterpeice)

I really hope that one day somebody will make a "real" version of H.G.Wells War Of The Worlds. If it was done well and true to the book then all others would line up behind it.