Andre's "suffering" (part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting your figure back in a few weeks is a combination of age and genes... every female in my family is back to normal in six weeks and those that opt to breast feed for more than the first six weeks go down another size... the younger generation are all cloth nappy crazy... their respective partners don't give a monkeys about the breast feeding really... they are happy with whatever the girls decide to do... not one of their partners has ever discussed breast feeding with their mums let alone on a national forum... it is a bit icky... if any of them decided to risk their life by commenting on the weight or how fast it was lost they would be slapped down by an entire family of irate females... if it is ever possible for men to have a baby I am nominating PA he is an expert now.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LAO
    I agree with your post re getting back into shape...I got back into my jeans after having my son... But didn't after having my daughter..
    What does it matter that Emily has gone back to her unpregnant self after 3 weeks?? Peter comes across as an idiot with that boast.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    I know his fund raising has been discussed but I've just had a proper look at his paltry prizes for those who who donate their hard earned cash, amongst his meagre offerings listed here http://www.prizeo.com/prizes/peter-andre/an-intimate-dinner-date?utm_content=peter&utm_campaign=peter.I can't believe anyone, no matter how big a fan, would cough up £300 for a packet of his coffee that he's signed.

Normally I would never knock anyone for their attempts at raising cash for such a worthy cause but for the love of God, is he that deluded that he believes he's a mega star & his signature on a packet of coffee is worth that much.

I genuinely feel embarrassed for the idiot.

OK he's far too weedy to do anything like swim the Thames etc but surely to God, for a cause he claims to be so passionate about, he could put in a bit of effort.
  • KayteJKayteJ Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I know his fund raising has been discussed but I've just had a proper look at his paltry prizes for those who who donate their hard earned cash, amongst his meagre offerings listed here http://www.prizeo.com/prizes/peter-andre/an-intimate-dinner-date?utm_content=peter&utm_campaign=peter.I can't believe anyone, no matter how big a fan, would cough up £300 for a packet of his coffee that he's signed.

Normally I would never knock anyone for their attempts at raising cash for such a worthy cause but for the love of God, is he that deluded that he believes he's a mega star & his signature on a packet of coffee is worth that much.

OK he's far too weedy to do anything like swim the Thames etc but surely to God, for a cause he claims to be so passionate about, he could put in a bit of effort.

So if you donate £300 you get a signed packet of PA's coffee? :o

It's all for a good cause etc, but i hope the 'fans' who cough up £300 in the hope of winning the 'grand' prize, realise that you don't actually have to donate anything at all and can still win.
    According to the official rules ''NO PURCHASE OR DONATION NECESSARY TO ENTER OR CLAIM PRIZE. NEITHER A PURCHASE NOR DONATION WILL INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.''
    http://www.prizeo.com/prizes/peter-andre/an-intimate-dinner-date/default/official-rules

Although that's not what PA said?

''To be in with a chance, all you need to do is make a small donation to my charity, the Peter Andre Foundation, here on Prizeo and you’ll be automatically entered to win! ''

Maybe i'm missing something :confused:
  • SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a little misleading BEL, he's not charging £300 for a draw to win a signed packet of coffee. The more you donate the more entries you get into the prize draw of a weekend stay at Ashdown Grange and dinner with Peter, plus token incentives for each level. The level you've mentioned gives 102 entries into the draw plus the e-card, thank you note, photo, bracelet, and coffee. The prize on offer might not encourage you to donate but it has clearly worked for a number of his fans. People who don't want to enter the draw can donate money directly to Cancer Research and know that the whole amount goes to them. But most charities have to find different ways to incentivize giving and that might mean a percentage has to be spent on admin costs.

ETA @KayteJ - I think there's probably some kind of legal requirement that you have to be able to enter a prize draw without making a purchase and each single entry is equal whether or not you've donated. But if you make a donation you do get more entries so I suppose a slightly increased chance of winning.
    Forum Member
    SenseiSam wrote: »
    That's a little misleading BEL, he's not charging £300 for a draw to win a signed packet of coffee. The more you donate the more entries you get into the prize draw of a weekend stay at Ashdown Grange and dinner with Peter, plus token incentives for each level. The level you've mentioned gives 102 entries into the draw plus the e-card, thank you note, photo, bracelet, and coffee. The prize on offer might not encourage you to donate but it has clearly worked for a number of his fans. People who don't want to enter the draw can donate money directly to Cancer Research and know that the whole amount goes to them. But most charities have to find different ways to incentivize giving and that might mean a percentage has to be spent on admin costs.

ETA @KayteJ - I think there's probably some kind of legal requirement that you have to be able to enter a prize draw without making a purchase and each single entry is equal whether or not you've donated. But if you make a donation you do get more entries so I suppose a slightly increased chance of winning.

Happy to stand corrected, I wrongly thought it was a case of donating £300 & you got a signed packet of his coffee, so is this correct (apologies for my thickness today) you donate £300 & you've basically purchased 102 raffle tickets, in the hope of being the winner of the coffee?
    If so & believe me I'm not having a dig at PA just for the sake of it but surely whoever is organising this could have put a bit of thought into it & came up with some better prizes? Even if I was a fan of PA, I wouldn't be very amused if I bought £300 worth of tickets & all I won was a packet of coffee.
    Just to clarify I'm not turning my nose up as to where the money is going, fantastic cause but I just think PA would get more response & subsequently more money if he offered decent prizes.
    I also think the wording of how you enter/win needs a bit of work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy to stand corrected, I wrongly thought it was a case of donating £300 & you got a signed packet of his coffee, so is this correct (apologies for my thickness today) you donate £300 & you've basically purchased 102 raffle tickets, in the hope of being the winner of the coffee?
    If so & believe me I'm not having a dig at PA just for the sake of it but surely whoever is organising this could have put a bit of thought into it & came up with some better prizes? Even if I was a fan of PA, I wouldn't be very amused if I bought £300 worth of tickets & all I won was a packet of coffee.
    Just to clarify I'm not turning my nose up as to where the money is going, fantastic cause but I just think PA would get more response & subsequently more money if he offered decent prizes.
    I also think the wording of how you enter/win needs a bit of work.

No :) The prize at stake is the weekend stay at the hotel/spa* and dinner with Peter. The more you donate the more entries you get plus different bonuses. So your £300 donation gives you 102 entries plus ecard, thank you note, photo, bracelet and coffee :) You receive the bonuses regardless of whether you win the prize draw. I interpret them as an extra thank you to people who are in a position to give larger donations rather than as prizes.

I can't say I found it difficult to comprehend but as it seems to have caused some confusion here then possibly they should have presented it differently.

* which is Ashdown Park not Grange - sorry
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

David Tennant, at the height of Doctor Who mania, became a patron of Headway Essex. They charged around £20 for autographed cards that he'd do in bundles for them. He didn't set up his own vanity "foundation", he simply put his signature on a postcard for a small charity to sell at an affordable price to his fans. Seven years later, he's still involved with them, providing support. The difference between him and Andre is Tennant hasn't made his involvement with Headway ALL ABOUT HIM the way Andre has with his foundation, where PA's fans are expected to raise the money for him to donate personally to CR.
  • notfussynotfussy Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on.

Profit is what's left AFTER expenses have been paid out.

Where are the other 10% going?
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KayteJ wrote: »
    So if you donate £300 you get a signed packet of PA's coffee? :o

It's all for a good cause etc, but i hope the 'fans' who cough up £300 in the hope of winning the 'grand' prize, realise that you don't actually have to donate anything at all and can still win.
    According to the official rules ''NO PURCHASE OR DONATION NECESSARY TO ENTER OR CLAIM PRIZE. NEITHER A PURCHASE NOR DONATION WILL INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.''
    http://www.prizeo.com/prizes/peter-andre/an-intimate-dinner-date/default/official-rules

Although that's not what PA said?

''To be in with a chance, all you need to do is make a small donation to my charity, the Peter Andre Foundation, here on Prizeo and you’ll be automatically entered to win! ''

Maybe i'm missing something :confused:

You can enter without donating but the free entry form says your entry must be received by Oct 2013. You'd think they'd update it. Shabby.

Also, the ticket entry allocation info on the PA page contradicts the info in the rules page. eg. it says 3 entries for £10 whereas the rules say 10 for £10. All the others are incorrect too.

All a bit shabby. Not a service I'd use if I were fundraising if they can't even get basic info right.
    Forum Member
    No :) The prize at stake is the weekend stay at the hotel/spa* and dinner with Peter. The more you donate the more entries you get plus different bonuses. So your £300 donation gives you 102 entries plus ecard, thank you note, photo, bracelet and coffee :) You receive the bonuses regardless of whether you win the prize draw. I interpret them as an extra thank you to people who are in a position to give larger donations rather than as prizes.

I can't say I found it difficult to comprehend but as it seems to have caused some confusion here then possibly they should have presented it differently.

* which is Ashdown Park not Grange - sorry

Now that I've read all of it, I get it, but for me personally ( & I don't imagine I'm alone) when I see something like the link I posted, what grabs my attention initially is the prizes, not all the small print, therefore in my opinion it does seem to say, for X amount you can win this or this.
    Therefore when I saw what I thought he was offering, my immediate response was "that's pretty rubbish" and stopped reading, probably laziness on my part but I standby what I said, for all the lazy buggers out there, like myself, the way it has been laid out & explained is a poor.
    Surely competitions like this should be eye catching, tempting & have you reaching for your cheque book.
    Just out of interest, do you not think he could be putting more effort into persuading people to donate. Sitting down having dinner with someone, singing them a song & signing some autographs is hardly challenging.
    If he put himself out there & did something that made everyone think "Wow", I'm almost certain, people would sit up & take notice & donate, regardless if you were a fan of his or not.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    notfussy wrote: »
    Hang on.

Profit is what's left AFTER expenses have been paid out.

Where are the other 10% going?

10% go to the company who run the competition - click this and scroll down:
    http://www.prizeo.com/about

90% then goes to the Peter Andre Foundation which is now a charity in it's own right. They then (I presume) take out the expenses for the event. What's left goes into Peter Andre's charities fund, which will then pass on money to CR although no percentage is given that I can see. It's hard to gauge exactly how much of your entry fee ends up in CR's pockets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    David Tennant, at the height of Doctor Who mania, became a patron of Headway Essex. They charged around £20 for autographed cards that he'd do in bundles for them. He didn't set up his own vanity "foundation", he simply put his signature on a postcard for a small charity to sell at an affordable price to his fans. Seven years later, he's still involved with them, providing support. The difference between him and Andre is Tennant hasn't made his involvement with Headway ALL ABOUT HIM the way Andre has with his foundation, where PA's fans are expected to raise the money for him to donate personally to CR.

I've chosen to get involved in raising money for CRUK through the foundation and I certainly don't see it as a vanity project for Peter. I've lost three close family members to cancers which might have been treatable if detected earlier and need to have regular screenings myself. I could donate directly to CRUK but by being involved with the foundation I get to be part of team that's specifically raising money to run the Cancer Awareness buses and it's been a very rewarding experience. I don't personally expect Peter to be off doing extreme challenges like Eddie Izzard or Davina when he has a new baby at home but as the foundation is a long term commitment I expect he's going to be raising money by sponsored events in the future. He's run marathons for charity in the past and also took part in the bike ride around Zanzibar for HIPZ. The NYCC coffee jars and Ideal Home Show collections and events will all be raising money and I've no doubt there's more initiatives to come. I think I'll leave you all to it at that point.
  • livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    41reasonswelovepeterandre is trending on twitter at present, funny though because a lot of the tweets are coming from the same people... And someone I follow tweeted this "#41reasonswelovepeterandre I can't think of 1 let alone 41" I did giggle a bit...
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's his birthday peeps - why no best wishes, love and kisses?

Anyway, heres a birthday tribute from some website and why they love him - because he can cry

http://www.sofeminine.co.uk/news-celebrities/7-things-that-make-peter-andre-cry-s311402.html
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    It's his birthday peeps - why no best wishes, love and kisses?

Anyway, heres a birthday tribute from some website and why they love him - because he can cry

http://www.sofeminine.co.uk/news-celebrities/7-things-that-make-peter-andre-cry-s311402.html

I like how they say "singer turned family man" (I'm leaving out "sexy" and "suave" because he is not now and has never been either) as if family man was actually a career. Then again, Peter and his fans seem to think it is.

Although, I suspect that article might actually be a piss take since all it achieves is proving what a utter wet blanket PA is.

If I might humbly suggest 7 other things that make Peter cry:

1. Not winning DOTY
    2. Nobody recognising that he is a serious and credible artiste, and truly the Bob Dylan of his generation
    3. People finding out about the glamma models he shoved over his garden wall
    4. Not having an equally dramatic birth story as KP - I mean, how can a few days early compete with a dramatic horse box dash across Europe to a hospital lit only by candles and staffed by incomprehensible hillbillies? (I paraphrase)
    5. His hair failing to compensate for his height difference with Emily
    6. People failing to understand how terribly well connected he is - he had his photo taken with Chris Brown and was once possibly in the same room as David Cameron, for God's sake! (Poor David Cameron).
    7. Not being hailed as a great philanthropist on the scale of Dr Barnardo

(Legal Disclaimer: I cannot confirm that any of these things actually make Peter Andre cry)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've chosen to get involved in raising money for CRUK through the foundation and I certainly don't see it as a vanity project for Peter. I've lost three close family members to cancers which might have been treatable if detected earlier and need to have regular screenings myself. I could donate directly to CRUK but by being involved with the foundation I get to be part of team that's specifically raising money to run the Cancer Awareness buses and it's been a very rewarding experience. I don't personally expect Peter to be off doing extreme challenges like Eddie Izzard or Davina when he has a new baby at home but as the foundation is a long term commitment I expect he's going to be raising money by sponsored events in the future. He's run marathons for charity in the past and also took part in the bike ride around Zanzibar for HIPZ. The NYCC coffee jars and Ideal Home Show collections and events will all be raising money and I've no doubt there's more initiatives to come. I think I'll leave you all to it at that point.

Sensei
    The foundation has been going for almost a year and Andre has done NOTHING personally to raise money..he has got lovely people like yourself to do that and he is the one claiming the "glory" all he appears to do is ask his followers to give give give...when is he going to do the same?
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    I like how they say "singer turned family man" (I'm leaving out "sexy" and "suave" because he is not now and has never been either) as if family man was actually a career. Then again, Peter and his fans seem to think it is.

Although, I suspect that article might actually be a piss take since all it achieves is proving what a utter wet blanket PA is.

If I might humbly suggest 7 other things that make Peter cry:

1. Not winning DOTY
    2. Nobody recognising that he is a serious and credible artiste, and truly the Bob Dylan of his generation
    3. People finding out about the glamma models he shoved over his garden wall
    4. Not having an equally dramatic birth story as KP - I mean, how can a few days early compete with a dramatic horse box dash across Europe to a hospital lit only by candles and staffed by incomprehensible hillbillies? (I paraphrase)
    5. His hair failing to compensate for his height difference with Emily
    6. People failing to understand how terribly well connected he is - he had his photo taken with Chris Brown and was once possibly in the same room as David Cameron, for God's sake! (Poor David Cameron).
    7. Not being hailed as a great philanthropist on the scale of Dr Barnardo

(Legal Disclaimer: I cannot confirm that any of these things actually make Peter Andre cry)

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sensei
    The foundation has been going for almost a year and Andre has done NOTHING personally to raise money..he has got lovely people like yourself to do that and he is the one claiming the "glory" all he appears to do is ask his followers to give give give...when is he going to do the same?

I don't think it's about who gets the 'glory' Betty it's about keeping the buses on the road doing their work. I'll agree the foundation got off to a slow start but I found it understandable in the circumstances. He first talked to CRUK about setting it up in 2012 when Andrew was alive and responding well to treatment so it was meant to have an inspiring story of recovery at the heart of it. When he died it sounds like Pete was too grief-striken to have the right energy for launching it which I can empathise with. It's not true that he's doing nothing. He's involved in the planning, goes along to give personal support to the roadshow and gives a lot of encouragement and publicity to fundraisers on his entrago channel. The coffee project was first mentioned last year and it's clearly taken time to get the right deal with a supermarket in place. I'll be surprised if he doesn't personally participate in a sponsored event in the future but as long as the money is raised it really doesn't bother me.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sensei

You'd think, if he's not actually doing anything physically that takes effort and commitment, he'd at least donate some of the interview fees he gets to CRUK. Or the proceeds from 'Kid'. Or have some ongoing promotion at his coffee shops - eg. a % of certain products going to CRUK. Just one small gesture to show he's putting his money where his mouth is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's about who gets the 'glory' Betty it's about keeping the buses on the road doing their work. I'll agree the foundation got off to a slow start but I found it understandable in the circumstances. He first talked to CRUK about setting it up in 2012 when Andrew was alive and responding well to treatment so it was meant to have an inspiring story of recovery at the heart of it. When he died it sounds like Pete was too grief-striken to have the right energy for launching it which I can empathise with. It's not true that he's doing nothing. He's involved in the planning, goes along to give personal support to the roadshow and gives a lot of encouragement and publicity to fundraisers on his entrago channel. The coffee project was first mentioned last year and it's clearly taken time to get the right deal with a supermarket in place. I'll be surprised if he doesn't personally participate in a sponsored event in the future but as long as the money is raised it really doesn't bother me.

So far his foundation has raised less than 3k ...which won't keep a bus on the road for more than a week..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can empathise too. I gave up my entire life for 3 years to provide in-house 24/7 care to my disabled mum who had terminal cancer. When she died I wanted nothing to do with cancer, I wanted to run away from cancer and have a life again and go shopping for clothes and meet friends and go on dates and earn money and be a woman not a carer who could only leave the house to go to the chemist or the hospital or the supermarket. I always give money to friends who do fun runs etc and I give all my unwanted clothes to the call-out hospice nurses charity shop without whom I could not have cared for my mum in her home. But I haven't done anything big to raise money for cancer yet because I'm still on the run from it. It took all my time and energy for so long that I need some time away form it. Sometime in the future I will, when I feel like life is back on track and the anger, fear, frustration, dispair and grief have turned into happy memories - then a determination raise money to combat this terrible illness will no doubt set in and I will do something big to raise money for cancer. So when it comes to understanding people who want nothing to to with cancer in the couple of years after a loved one dies, I totally, totally empathise and fully understand.

My problem is this. I don't have the time today to look for the article in question but I remember Pete saying he wanted to distance himself from cancer for a bit but that his management had pointed out that it was a great opportunity to raise awareness and funds for cancer...which is CANspeak for 'he have to capitalise on this opporunity to make you look good'. 3k on Justigiving (unsure about other monies) and wittering 'know your body' a few times is neither. PA's heart isn't it it - that is obvious, however the 'aww isn't Pete a saint for setting up a cancer Foundation' mileage he's got out of it has been huge. I did not understand why he needed to set up a foundation when all he was doing was fundraising for CR like millions of other people(answer: ego/halo polishing) - now I don't know why he has his own charity if all he is doing is fundraising for CR, effectively making himself a pointless middleman. There must be something in it for himself and CAN - perhaps it's generous expenses or able business opportunities to cash in on with CR's permission, who knows. It certainly gives them the freedom to raise what they like without any assurances that it will go to CR. Perhaps if they want to raise more - true motivation to the cause, clarity of fundraising targets and money raised is the way forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisy
    I was the opposite to you after my sister in law died of cancer..she left behind a 10 week old baby... I and my family decided to do things to raise money in her name...but that was through choice..I think Peter isn't doing this through choice after reading your post and perhaps that's why he isn't pushing his foundation so much. If his management have pushed him into this that's wrong..but Peter is an adult and could have and should have said no..I'm not ready ...

Grief is an individual thing and we all deal with the death of loved ones in a different way. I feel sorry for Peter if he hasn't been allowed to do it his way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisy
    I was the opposite to you after my sister in law died of cancer..she left behind a 10 week old baby... I and my family decided to do things to raise money in her name...but that was through choice..I think Peter isn't doing this through choice after reading your post and perhaps that's why he isn't pushing his foundation so much. If his management have pushed him into this that's wrong..but Peter is an adult and could have and should have said no..I'm not ready ...

Grief is an individual thing and we all deal with the death of loved ones in a different way. I feel sorry for Peter if he hasn't been allowed to do it his way

I know I have a slightly different take on Peter than other critics of his career in that most people think PA is a grown man and all the decision around his career are his own. I see it slightly differently - I see a man so consumed with the idea of being famous that he willingly lets his manager micromanage no only his career but his life as well, as he trusts her absolutely with her ability to maintain his fame. Without Claire - post-fame breakdowns, no money, anonymity. With Claire - everything..so he does what he's told. Sometimes we catch him out - like when he said he didn't want to have botox but his manager said he must. Or when he says he didn't want anything to do with cancer for a while - but he was persuaded otherwise by his management. He's not in control of his life or career - but he's fine with it as he'll so anything to remain famous..including selling the proverbial grandmother.

So yeah. I don't think PA wanted to do anything to soon for CR, he said so himself. Which is probaby why there is no drive or passion behind it.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Daisy and Betty as someone who lost my Mum to this bloody disease my love thoughts and prayers go to you and your respective families,xxx
    I have to agree with Daisy on this occasion if only for the fact that my niece and her friend who were both actresses on a very well known Channel four series are both spokespersons about ovarian cancer which claimed my Mum
    They have helped raise many thousands of pounds more than "loves his Kids" without his me me me atitude preferring to do it in a less showbiz fashion
    Any money raised to fight the disease is welcomed but is it any wonder that people are cynical given his track record??
This discussion has been closed.