Options

The 2015 Oscars Thread

Comments

• Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Thanks. What matters is that who will be the first to win an Oscar? Hardy, Fassbender or DiCaprio?

We were having a discussion about Hunger (Fassbender), Bronson (Hardy) and Revolutionary Road (DiCaprio) when Nick said he was 99.9% sure that DiCaprio will win an Oscar for Revolutionary Road. I said Fassbender was born to be an Oscar magnet, so he will probably get it before DiCaprio whenever that may be. Third colleague disagreed by saying Tom Hardy had a better chance than both Fassbender and DiCaprio.

That's when we made the bet. This was around five years ago. It'll stand until one of them wins. :D

Lol! Sounds like brilliant fun!:D Difficult one to call, mind. My heart says Fassbender; my head says Leo; and the rest of my body says that Hardy probably needs a couple of decent films under his belt for him to wipe Bane off our collective memory. ;-):p:kitty:
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There will be huge pressure on him to win for The Revenant, especially off the back of Birdman's Oscar success (I wonder if it'll matter that Keaton missed out on Best Actor). Aside from Macbeth, Fassbender also has Jobs (though I think he looks terribly miscast).

There are plenty of other A list actors who don't have lead Oscars that have notable movies coming out this year too like Jake Gyllenhaal, Christian Bale and Ryan Gosling.

Inarritu has just won so I don't he will strike twice in succession. The subject matter is not really Oscar bait material either.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inarritu has just won so I don't he will strike twice in succession. The subject matter is not really Oscar bait material either.

Maybe not as a major contender for BP again but I still expect The Revenant to gain nominations. And it maybe not be Oscar bait in the purest sense but if the performances are genuinely great, Leo and Hardy will get nods. Probably because the voters may want a change from the usual biopic/characters with disability performances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not as a major contender for BP again but I still expect The Revenant to gain nominations. And it maybe not be Oscar bait in the purest sense but if the performances are genuinely great, Leo and Hardy will get nods. Probably because the voters may want a change from the usual biopic/characters with disability performances.

I doubt it. Westerns aren't usually that popular with the Academy.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessica Chastain is doing Blonde, the Marilyn monroe biopic. Another oscar bait role.

J-Law has teamed up with David O'Russell again for a film called Joy. Playing a woman who created The Miracle Mop. A typical rags to ritches tale.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Dicpario will be likely be one of those eventual oscar winners who wins for it for the wrong performance. He will be an overdue pity win. Like Kate Winslet and Julianne Moore.

Or Al Pacino. An Oscar for Scent Of A Woman? I still shake my head.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced we can predict next year's Oscars already, after all Unbroken was many people's favourite this year until they actually saw it.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reasons I was so lukewarm towards the Oscars this year. Slept through the whole show and didn't bother watching the replay - especially after knowing that Boyhood flopped

That said, I am happy for Moore. Finally. I feel bad for Keaton as well.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    For some reasons I was so lukewarm towards the Oscars this year. Slept through the whole show and didn't bother watching the replay - especially after knowing that Boyhood flopped

That said, I am happy for Moore. Finally. I feel bad for Keaton as well.

The Oscars have been rather bland and tedious for more than a few years now, haven't watched it since 2000 but did catch some of it this year as I never sleep before a flight, Redmayne was a WTF moment, never been enamoured by his acting, Birdsong would have been better without his presence.

Went to the Oscars once as a guest of a past nominee and that was back in 1995, Letterman was host and you had winners such as Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump and Jessica Lange for Blue Sky, Peter Capaldi won an Oscar for Best Live Action Short that year. Never saw a man look so happy, like he had the keys to the sweet shop. Coincidently Capaldis short tied with another short called Trevor for the Oscar

Twenty years later the show is unimaginative, the nominees on the most bland and the winners mostly unworthy of the Oscar.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,893
    Forum Member
    I thought the presenter done alright. I think the stars were initially not into his jokes because they wanted to get through the early non heavy awards and then seemed more receptive to his jokes in the second half.

On Selma, when was the film released? If it was just recently, shouldn't it have been considered for next years Oscars instead? I'm pretty sure the English Patient was released in February/March 1996 and it won a whole bunch of Oscars in 1997, not the 1996 one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    On Selma, when was the film released? If it was just recently, shouldn't it have been considered for next years Oscars instead? I'm pretty sure the English Patient was released in February/March 1996 and it won a whole bunch of Oscars in 1997, not the 1996 one.
    Films released in the US at the end of the year (and therefore within the terms of Oscar eligibility) are often not released in the UK until the start of the following year. This is why the BAFTA eligibility window ends around March rather than at the stroke of midnight on 31 December.

The English Patient won awards in 1997 because it was released in 1996 (in the US; it was February 1997 in the UK).
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,893
    Forum Member
    Films released in the US at the end of the year (and therefore within the terms of Oscar eligibility) are often not released in the UK until the start of the following year. This is why the BAFTA eligibility window ends around March rather than at the stroke of midnight on 31 December.

The English Patient won awards in 1997 because it was released in 1996 (in the US; it was February 1997 in the UK)

I looked it up after posting my post and I noticed it said Feb 1997 as the UK release date but I used to work in cinema at the time and I thought it was a Feb 96 date and maybe it was and whoever put it as 97 did so because that was the year when it won the Oscars and they got mixed up?

I could be wrong but I really don't remember it being an early 1997 film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    First look at Eddie Redmayne as Einer Wegener in The Danish Girl. I thought it was Florence Welch. :D

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/first-look-at-eddie-redmayne-as-the-danish-girl-112185097057.html

Looks like another Oscar nom is in the bag next year. Or else it could be unintentionally funny.
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the Best Supporting Actress is.....Annie lennox as Eadie Redmayne.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    and the Best Supporting Actress is.....Annie lennox as Eadie Redmayne.

lol :D Maybe he'll win the best actress award next year. A first in Oscars history.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First look at Eddie Redmayne as Einer Wegener in The Danish Girl. I thought it was Florence Welch. :D

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/first-look-at-eddie-redmayne-as-the-danish-girl-112185097057.html

Looks like another Oscar nom is in the bag next year. Or else it could be unintentionally funny.

Looks a bit like Tootsie!
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D I think we can safely say DiCaprio will never win one unless it's an honorary Oscar.

I am pretty confident he will win one eventually, actually. ;-)

He is hardly on his last legs or anything...:p

When you look at the performances he lost out to, it's pretty understandable why he didn't win, imho. In the best actor category, he lost out to Matthew McConaughey for the Dallas Buyers Club,Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland, and Jamie Foxx for Ray. Now personally I would have given it to him over Foxx, but only by a narrow margin. They are all really strong winners for me. Then in supporting actor category he lost out to Tommy Lee Jones for The Fugitive, and that year I'd say it's pretty shocking in retrospect that Ralph Fiennes didn't win for Schindler's List.

I think he has just been unlucky thus far to have tough competition, and I think his time will come.

If he gets to eight nominations and no win like Peter O'Toole, then he can start to grumble....:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I am pretty confident he will win one eventually, actually. ;-)

He is hardly on his last legs or anything...:p

When you look at the performances he lost out to, it's pretty understandable why he didn't win, imho. In the best actor category, he lost out to Matthew McConaughey for the Dallas Buyers Club,Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland, and Jamie Foxx for Ray. Now personally I would have given it to him over Foxx, but only by a narrow margin. They are all really strong winners for me. Then in supporting actor category he lost out to Tommy Lee Jones for The Fugitive, and that year I'd say it's pretty shocking in retrospect that Ralph Fiennes didn't win for Schindler's List.

I think he has just been unlucky thus far to have tough competition, and I think his time will come.

If he gets to eight nominations and no win like Peter O'Toole, then he can start to grumble....:D

Leo is to play a character with multiple personality disorder in The Crowded Room. Billy Milligan was the first person to be acquitted of a crime using multiple personality disorder as a defence. Kerching!! Osca ca ca ca. :D

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a632187/leonardo-dicaprio-to-play-multiple-personality-disorder-role.html
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leo is to play a character with multiple personality disorder in The Crowded Room. Billy Milligan was the first person to be acquitted of a crime using multiple personality disorder as a defence. Kerching!! Osca ca ca ca. :D

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a632187/leonardo-dicaprio-to-play-multiple-personality-disorder-role.html

Damn, you beat me to it, lol!:D:D Oscar-bait! Oscar-bait!:D Personally, it will test his range which is what he needs to justify an OScar win and not one given to him because 1)he is due one or 2)for the wrong role. Also, I often think that these days he plays different roles in the same way with very little variation between one and the other. So I wasn't really surprised he didn't win for Wolf. There wasn't much of a character to the role to play, tbh.

ETA: So the question is which Oscars will this film be targeting: 2016 or 2017? I must admit I get really freaked typing out dates that are nearing 2020.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Damn, you beat me to it, lol!:D:D Oscar-bait! Oscar-bait!:D Personally, it will test his range which is what he needs to justify an OScar win and not one given to him because 1)he is due one or 2)for the wrong role. Also, I often think that these days he plays different roles in the same way with very little variation between one and the other. So I wasn't really surprised he didn't win for Wolf. There wasn't much of a character to the role to play, tbh.

ETA: So the question is which Oscars will this film be targeting: 2016 or 2017? I must admit I get really freaked typing out dates that are nearing 2020.

This film could end up being a car crash. A lot of those films featuring people with multiple personality disorder are cringeworthy.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2018, I'm willing to bet. Well, during the Oscars in February 2019*. In pre-production at the moment for DiCaprio:
    Mean Business on North Ganson Street -- adaptation of S. Craig Zahler's crime novel
    Blood on Snow -- adaptation of Jo Nesbo's crime novel, originally published under Nesbo's other pen name, Tom Johansen.
    Not yet in pre-production, but are showing signs it'll enter soon:
    The Ballad of Richard Jewell -- adaptation of Marie Brenner's magazine article
    Satori -- adaptation of Don Winslow's crime novel

*It is freaky to see it nearing 2020.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you make a good point here, just lately I think his performances have lacked variety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think you make a good point here, just lately I think his performances have lacked variety.

Everytime I see him in a movie it's like watching a boy in a mans body. His voice is too boyish to play characters like Jay Gatsby, Howard Hughes and others. He sounds even worse when he starts shouting in films like Wolf Street, Revolutionary Road, J Edgar, Django Unchained and Shutter Island. He never convinces me he is these characters in his movies. Not sure he has the ability to go deep into a role. It's all surface showy acting.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Everytime I see him in a movie it's like watching a boy in a mans body. His voice is too boyish to play characters like Jay Gatsby, Howard Hughes and others. He sounds even worse when he starts shouting in films like Wolf Street, Revolutionary Road, J Edgar, Django Unchained and Shutter Island. He never convinces me he is these characters in his movies. Not sure he has the ability to go deep into a role. It's all surface showy acting.
    Completely agree. Unfortunately for him his youthful looks are wrong for his career.
  • Options
    Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    I looked it up after posting my post and I noticed it said Feb 1997 as the UK release date but I used to work in cinema at the time and I thought it was a Feb 96 date and maybe it was and whoever put it as 97 did so because that was the year when it won the Oscars and they got mixed up?

I could be wrong but I really don't remember it being an early 1997 film.

It definitely came out in March 1997 in the UK.
    http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/afcdb391e7a343c19b9d1e94f50105e8

A February 1996 release date would have been around the same time as Jumanji, Sense & Sensibility and Trainspotting.