Options

Installing Windows on a Mac

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to install and run Windows on my IMac using the boot camp facility. This requires me to have a physical DVD with Windows 7 or higher. Any ideas where I can purchase this at a reasonable price, should I wait for Windows 10?
    Thanks.

You don't need a physical DVD, you can use a virtual disc called a .iso file
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've installed VM Fusion + Windows on a number of Macs as our corporate VPN only supports IE :( Works pretty well and you can have windows and mac apps running at the same time. You can install Windows via ISO image so no need for a physical DVD drive.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    Get with the times you grey haired fossils, it's now Snapchat vs. Instagram. :)

Whatever it is you're talking about sounds a bit school playground to me! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I've installed VM Fusion + Windows on a number of Macs as our corporate VPN only supports IE :( Works pretty well and you can have windows and mac apps running at the same time. You can install Windows via ISO image so no need for a physical DVD drive.

VM Fusion has been pretty much eclipsed by Parallels these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Its never stopped, its gone from counting cpu cycles of power pc versus intel for anti virus to much more aesthetic stuff so really when you're arguing over the wallpaper you can tell pretty much both sides are equal and all it is now is just two twins fighting over who gets the presents first

Where Windows falls down is the fact that not one manufacturer can seem to put all that hardware/software together in a pleasing well designed well built unit.

Apple go for aesthetically pleasing and well built whilst Windows manufactures prefer cheap and nasty.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Where Windows falls down is the fact that not one manufacturer can seem to put all that hardware/software together in a pleasing well designed well built unit.

Apple go for aesthetically pleasing and well built whilst Windows manufactures prefer cheap and nasty.

Its much easier to have everything designed by one company, i remember when apple did allow 3rd party devices like graphics cards etc it was a windows style nightmare crashes as apple wouldn't allow access to core routines or would literally patch out support with no notification so in the end pretty much everyone gave up which was what apple wanted in the end.

Apples a closed ecosystem pretty much where as with windows its a wild west where if you fancy it then you can give it a go but don't expect angels singing from behind their turtle necks
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's honestly a load of crap, £ equivalent machines, there's plenty of great Windows machines: Dell XPS 13 and 15, HP Spectre x360, Acer Aspire S7, Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1, Lenovo Yoga Pro series, Surface Pro and Surface 3 are just to name a few great machines.

There's plenty more out there including in the All-in-one space. But good on you for living in the 2000s comparing £1,100 machines with £450 machines.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    VM Fusion has been pretty much eclipsed by Parallels these days.

I use both on my main Mac laptop and I don't think there's much to choose between them.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I use both on my main Mac laptop and I don't think there's much to choose between them.

Agreed. They're much the same. Both do the job very well.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    That's honestly a load of crap, £ equivalent machines, there's plenty of great Windows machines: Dell XPS 13 and 15, HP Spectre x360, Acer Aspire S7, Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1, Lenovo Yoga Pro series, Surface Pro and Surface 3 are just to name a few great machines.

There's plenty more out there including in the All-in-one space. But good on you for living in the 2000s comparing £1,100 machines with £450 machines.
    I agree, there's a lot of good Windows laptops if you choose from the same or even lower price bracket as Apple laptops. They give Apple run for their money. I have the new Dell XPS 13 with QHD touch screen, i7 processor, and it looks very pretty, too. I am very happy with it, not sure if Apple offers anything even near this one.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an old Macbook which I have to use windows on as it's no longer supported by Apple. It's such a lovely machine to just bin, the original 17" macbook pro but as its only 32 bit nothing works on it other than Windows. Silly really
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »

Jeez! not ghastly laptops! I hate those whoever makes them. I have however auditioned a number and whilst they are an improvement, many still have creaking chassis, poor or indifferent keyboards or inferior displays.

I have yet to see a Windows AIO that comes anywhere near the iMac for design or build quality.

The other consideration of course is resale value - prices of Windows machines just bomb before you've even managed to leave the store.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other consideration of course is resale value - prices of Windows machines just bomb before you've even managed to leave the store.

The prices of Apple stuff second hand are nowhere near as mental as they once were, now everyone and their dog are buying them to pose in starbucks the rarity value is dropping pretty fast compared to some of the stupidity i saw on fleabay probably 5 or 6 years ago when even a 68k mac was listed for about 500 quid and PPC stuff started at about 900-1000 quid mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    The prices of Apple stuff second hand are nowhere near as mental as they once were, now everyone and their dog are buying them to pose in starbucks the rarity value is dropping pretty fast compared to some of the stupidity i saw on fleabay probably 5 or 6 years ago when even a 68k mac was listed for about 500 quid and PPC stuff started at about 900-1000 quid mark

This is true. However, there is a world of difference between a correction in the market and a product not having a market at all, which tends to be the case for Windows boxes.