Options

100's of people go missing every year; why does the Media focus on just one ?

BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,286
Forum Member
✭✭
Obviously it is very sad when any person goes missing but why is it that some missing people get headline news for nearly a week while others don't get reported at all.

Quite confusing, I know they can't report all missing people in headline press but always makes you think about the families of missing people who don't get hardly any publicity to find them

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Obviously it is very sad when any person goes missing but why is it that some missing people get headline news for nearly a week while others don't get reported at all.

Quite confusing, I know they can't report all missing people in headline press but always makes you think about the families of missing people who don't get hardly any publicity to find them

Yes there really should be more consistency in who gets reported on and who doesn't.

Not forgetting that some relatives might not want things being reported.
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes there really should be more consistency in who gets reported on and who doesn't.

Not forgetting that some relatives might not want things being reported.

Yeah that's very true. There doesn't seem much inbetween its either a main headline story or not reported at all
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attractive, successful girl from middle class background is far more likely to get heavy media attention than an unemployed, ugly, chav from Gleadless Valley. If only because foul play is much more likely to be involved in the former case
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I've also wondered why we don't have pictures of missing persons on Milk cartons and the like as happens in the states.

Missingpeople UK, just to give you an idea of the numbers, we're dealing with.

I can guess the Police contact the media about cases that they think will hit the 'right buttons' with the media.
    Photogenic child, nicely spoken family or friends to provide the backstory.

Slightly random aside (popped into my head) anyone remember what happened to the nurse who was locked in the boot of her car over Christmas, I think it was last year.
    Pretty sure it was in Scotland and they thought she'd gone missing, found after 6 days or something like that.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've wondered the same OP and asked so on the thread that has now been deleted.

I was guessing that press conference for a missing person is held when there's some vulnerability is involved (e.g. suffering depression, missing without meds, or very young aged) or there is no linkage to some other crime (e.g. two other missing persons have been found dead and another similar person is reported as missing).
    With the latest case, I was wondering if there is something the police has told us for her case to receive so much publicity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think that it would be down to the relatives of the person not wanting publicity for fear of (pardon the pun) skeletons in the closet being released.
    Maybe there are children's feelings to condsider.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    I would imagine the recent case has had so much coverage purely because of the time of year, because it's a female and because it hasn't really been a heavy news week.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The stange thing is, every now and again in a shop window you might see a missing person poster, and when you read it the person has been missing for 6 months with zero news coverage.

Why is one disapperance more important then another.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly hundreds of people go missing every year. If they are a child or the circumstances are very strange then it is more likely to get media coverage. Some people go missing because they want to - they can't cope with families, jobs, life etc...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is part of your answer OP.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly hundreds of people go missing every year. If they are a child or the circumstances are very strange then it is more likely to get media coverage. Some people go missing because they want to - they can't cope with families, jobs, life etc...

Exactly. It's only when foul play is supected that it hits the media, or a young child. Teenagers often go missing and return within a few days. Adults can go missing for a variety of reasons, rarely due to anything sinister.

I see the latest Jo Yeates thread has also been deleted btw
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the Jo threads wouldn't be deleted, I find the discussion interesting. If people agreed not to guess 'who did it' would DS keep the thread up?
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got this from the support team regarding those disappearing threads... doesnt go into detail but I would guess it is the in poor taste speculatory posts that are breaching the T&Cs
    Unfortunately numerous posts in the thread did not satisfy our Terms and Conditions and the thread was therefore removed.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Just got this from the support team regarding those disappearing threads... doesnt go into detail but I would guess it is the in poor taste speculatory posts that are breaching the T&Cs

I can understand why it was deleted, it's a shame people couldn't have stuck to facts rather than libellously speculating, as it was an interesting thread.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    From what I'd seen of that previous thread the allegations and speculations being made were so extreme and potentially libellous that its deletion was inevitable. People should try and control themselves.
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does the missing girl in Bristol thread keep being censored / pulled .
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    *Clem* wrote: »
    I wish the Jo threads wouldn't be deleted, I find the discussion interesting. If people agreed not to guess 'who did it' would DS keep the thread up?

Its not a soap opera - there are real people in real pain involved.

And it wasn't discussion - it was tasteless, un-necessary, speculation.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was the same as the Madelaine thread. People do love to gossip/talk, its just there appears to be certain rules you got to apply by on the internet. Ie I guess like not accusing the McCanns kind of thing.
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »
    Its not a soap opera - there are real people in real pain involved.

And it wasn't discussion - it was tasteless, un-necessary, speculation.

I'm aware of that. Yes some of the posts were un-necessary and tasteless. It's a pity the threads couldn't stick to the facts.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you all know what's being said here.

Why is one missing person's life more 'worthy' than anyone else (who's missing) ? Is there a certain criteria one has to fulfil in order to make the headlines ?

How sad :(
  • Options
    blackdogblackblackdogblack Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who are you talking about? I don't know anyone that is missing?
  • Options
    TolstoyTolstoy Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    I think you all know what's being said here.

Why is one missing person's life more 'worthy' than anyone else (who's missing) ? Is there a certain criteria one has to fulfil in order to make the headlines ?

How sad :(

Where foul play is suspected the media are informed right away. In the case you appear to be referring to it's clear they were 100% correct.
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why start a new thread ? There already is one on here ; http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1414946
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tolstoy wrote: »
    Where foul play is suspected the media are informed right away. In the case you appear to be referring to it's clear they were 100% correct.

Fair enough.
    Why start a new thread ? There already is one on here ; http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1414946

Apologies.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is usually because foul play is suspected, and more often than not those cases involve women and children.