Who Killed Archie? - On reflection..

big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
Forum Member
Now that Stacey has left, effectively completely finishing this story, do you think she was the right choice of killer? If no, who would you have liked to have seen killed Archie? And how would you have played out the story differently?

Personally, I'm not sure Stacey was the right choice. I don't think she shown enough remorse for her actions, in fact any at all. Yes, he raped her so obviously she will hate him, but I just didn't buy that the character would be so calm about living her life as a killer, especially tarnishing her dead husband's memory with the blame of the crime. It's been said that Peggy was the original choice, I don't know why they didn't just stick with her.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I thought they always planned it to be stacey from the off set?
    I thought the most obvious one would be Ronnie.
    But Peggy would be an interesting choice. Cause a family divide and that could have been het reasoning for leaving the square instead of just randomly walking away from her whole life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peggy should've been the killer & died in the fire.
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was fine with it. Becuse it led to all that stuff about Archie being a rapist, and incesting his daughter. Explains why he was the way he was with her. he didn't care much about Roxy, he even said so. But he loved Ronnie. in some sort of sick twisted way.
  • Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stacey being the killer was done for shock value and made no sence
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've admitted that Peggy was supposed to be the killer but that they changed it to Stacey when Barbara told them that she was leaving. It doesn't really make much sense now as Lacey was only on screen for a few more months after Barbara left.

Looking back now I understand why they made Archie rape Stacey so that they could add Stacey, Bradley and possibly Max as potential killers, however I don't think it made much sense for it to be Stacey. She was with Bradley and having the baby with him, and so to kill Archie jeopardised all of that. I did guess it was her though because she wasn't talked about as a suspect by DS.

Personally I'd rather it had been Peggy and that they had then killed off Peggy in the fire since Barbara isn't coming back. I didn't like the aftermath with Stacey getting with Ryan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviation fuel.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I think they should of kept it as Peggy which was Originally planned Stacey was good but Peggy would of been better as said above they then could of killed her off in the fire.

stacey still could of had a decent storyline by keeping Archie as the Father of Lily.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nearly every EE plot was done for shock value and made no sense

typo corrected....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it made sense for her to be killer. He raped her whilst she suffered from bi-polar. I don't see who else could have killed him, apart from Janine. Ronnie would be too obvious IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stacey being the killer was done for shock value and made no sence

This. I also hate how it's dragged on for this long, the storyline has just been tedious since the reveal imo.

This storyline should not have happened. No long-term thought had been put into it; and it was out of character for Stacey to kill Archie.

Perhaps they should've kept Danielle about, and made her the killer?
  • Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This. I also hate how it's dragged on for this long, the storyline has just been tedious since the reveal imo.

This storyline should not have happened. No long-term thought had been put into it; and it was out of character for Stacey to kill Archie.

Perhaps they should've kept Danielle about, and made her the killer?

agreed, also we wouldn't have to see this bullshit baby swap S/L
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Awful decision - I personally don't think they should of killed him off for a start, but to make it Stacey was just stupid.
    It would of worked out better in the long run for Peggy's exit for her to kill Archie etc.
  • ManOfEastManOfEast Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the worst, if not the worst, high-profile plot Eastenders has ever done. I make this point a lot, and I know it's not a popular nor commonly-held view but I feel it's a storyline that gets a lot more praise than it deserves and actually did more to damage the show than anything else last year.

No disrespectful to Larry Lamb, but on his second stint in particular, Archie was a rubbish character. A complete paper cut-out plot device so they could have a big storyline for the 25th.

Maybe I wouldn't be so harsh on it if it had ended there, but thanks to their choice of killer, the storyline proceeded to ruin the rest of the year as well.

2010 has been a very mixed bag, and the poorer parts of that mix are generally down to the Archie stuff, the dragginess in January and February (due to the build up to the reveal), the lull and feeling of "filler" during March-April-May (which in part, it seems was down to focussing on the Archie reveal) and most recently the mostly dull Ryan/Janine/Stacey storyline and the ruination of Stacey's character.

Very glad this period of the show is finally over. :)