Options

How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally Hanson Mega Shine is all kinds of amazing. I always use it. I toyd with Seche Vite but got irritated with the major shrinkage that it causes. Really noticable with dark colour polishes.

I picked up two shades of the new Barry M sequin polishes which are great value dupes for the Illamasqua speckled range- slightly different but same idea. Going to try them at the weekend :)

I got the white and the pink. I really want some of the confetti nail effects but Boots didn't have them. Might check Superdrug.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Epic Barry M fail!

The sequin effects polishes are HORRIBLE. Lumpy, uneven and the sequins stay on the top rather than subtly sitting between the layers of polish. The polish the sequins are in is streaky too. It looks like a child in my class has painted my nails with PVA glue and then chucked a pot of glitter over them. Really really horrible.

I wish I had stumped up the cash for the proper illamasqua ones :(
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    currently got my trust models own utopia :) But with models own pink fizz as an accent nail on each hand :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry M sequin look terrible...not seen a single good photo of them! The confetti ones are quite good though imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they look awful! I've not seen anyone (on blogs etc) who's been pleased with them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    Barry M sequin look terrible...not seen a single good photo of them! The confetti ones are quite good though imo.

I really like the confetti ones! Disappointed in the sequins :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the confetti ones ad they are fab. Really lovely.

Barry M posted a pic that a blogger had done of the sequin ones on their FB page and got a barrage of negative comments and complaints from people who thought they looked awful, and people who had bought them and found them to be terrible to use. I think they know they've done wrong!

I took mine back to Boots and got a refund.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the confetti ones ad they are fab. Really lovely.

Barry M posted a pic that a blogger had done of the sequin ones on their FB page and got a barrage of negative comments and complaints from people who thought they looked awful, and people who had bought them and found them to be terrible to use. I think they know they've done wrong!

I took mine back to Boots and got a refund.

I didn't see that! I really hope they will reformulate them!
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like to just come in here to push my blog, but you may be interested in my nail polish art canvas that I made last weekend:
    http://elanorsnails.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/nail-polish-dotfest.html
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    The Barry M confetti effect is fab; I can vouch for that. Best way to do it is wear it over a coloured polish. The one in the yellow-ish bottle is actually pastel coloured confetti which looks great over either dark polish or a different coloured pastel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Barry M confetti effect is fab; I can vouch for that. Best way to do it is wear it over a coloured polish. The one in the yellow-ish bottle is actually pastel coloured confetti which looks great over either dark polish or a different coloured pastel.

I love the confetti effect!
  • Options
    ChemistryChemistry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Not really into nail varnishes, so might be best to ask you lot :)

I love the new neon highlight colour tend in nail varnishes. I have seen 'Model's own' versions which look like pretty colours, but so any other brands sell such colours? Or maybe a better formula?

Also I would love to make it ''Matte''. Any good matt overcoat varnishes?

I honestly have no clue and can't afford to waste money :(

xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barry M do some neons, I think they're better formula than Models Own, personally (MO are really really smelly!). Wear neon over a white base to make it brighter and less likely to stain.

Best matte topcoat out there by a mile is the Rimmel one.
  • Options
    moogiechompymoogiechompy Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just giving you the heads up that Ciate have a 24 hour 50% off sale on their website today only, with free p&p :) have just treated myself this morning to:

antique brooch http://www.ciate.co.uk/whats-new/antique-brooch

chinchilla http://www.ciate.co.uk/chinchilla?filter_name=chinchilla

Maybe baby http://www.ciate.co.uk/maybe-baby?filter_name=maybe%20baby

I've also had a splurge on Essie this week :o and was tempted by Revlon Moon Candy, has anyone tried these out? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've finally set up a blog!

http://getting-out-of-hand.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck with it Beth! Don't forget to add some ways for people to follow you! I can't follow you at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how do I do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends which formatting you're using, and what methods you'd like to use for people to follow you. Which do you use for the blogs you follow? I'd use the same, plus add some others. Most bloggers seem to be using GFC (although that's being discontinued allegedly) and Bloglovin, although there are lots of others.

Depending how you're formatting your blog, there should be lots of different widgets and bits available - again, see what the blogs you're following have, and add the ones you like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Depends which formatting you're using, and what methods you'd like to use for people to follow you. Which do you use for the blogs you follow? I'd use the same, plus add some others. Most bloggers seem to be using GFC (although that's being discontinued allegedly) and Bloglovin, although there are lots of others.

Depending how you're formatting your blog, there should be lots of different widgets and bits available - again, see what the blogs you're following have, and add the ones you like.

I don't "follow" anyone, I just have their url's on my browser's favourites :confused: Absolutely technologically challenged!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, ok!

I think it's worth openly following, partly because people can find other blogs through your blog, and partly to show that you're part of the community. Nail blogging is quite a small world really.

You're using Blogger/Blogspot, which is what I have, so it'll be the same. Go into your Layout tab, and there you can move things around, make your layout the way you want it, and add gadgets where you want them - for example showing your tags (cloud format? List format? Drop down box?) or your list of blogs you follow (names/icons/post titles? etc) and ways for people to follow you. There are all sorts of things you can add, so have a play around. It'll all be easier to see how it looks once you have a few posts up too.

Then if you follow people publicly, then instead of having to think ok, I'm going to look at Nailasaurus's blog now, and going there, or I'm going to look at Fashion Polish or whatever, you just click on your blogroll and see all the most recent posts from everyone you're following in one big list with teaser photos, and can click through to see the full post if you want to. Bloglovin is also good for that, and I know a lot of bloggers use that for reading blogs too. It makes it much faster to see if people have posted something, so you don't miss posts, and you can see trends emerging (is everyone posting the new China Glaze collection for example, has everyone suddenly done stripes today, etc) rather than having to go to someone's blog to see if they've posted or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i am starting to grow my nails again , i bite them right down to the stumps :D, but want nice longish ones again..I used to have nice ones when i used to go out clubbing, and paint them all different colours, :D so am gonna try and stop..I need that clear polish to start with to make them stronger..Where is best place to buy it from ? a cheap one maybe, from Poundland lol.at the minute i have an old pink colour painted on then so i dont nibble them at the weekend :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I have loads of Barry M nail varnishes. My newest purchases have been a confetti one and teal.

I have also used seche vite the last few times I have used my Barry M nail varnishes and I am finding it chips or peels after a day. Does anyone else have this problem or can recommend a better top coat?
  • Options
    moogiechompymoogiechompy Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never got on with Seche vite, I always seem to get shrinkage and then lots of chips, I use Sally hansen inst-dri when in a hurry or the china glaze no chip top coat.

I use OPI nail envy as a base coat, have never bothered with specific base coats and don't get too much staining, the pay off is that they do grow quite strong and rarely break, when I first started growing them after years of nibbling them to stubbies they were very soft and flakey, not anymore :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i got some clear polish off me sister tonight..so i painted 2 coats on and hope they grow lol

i loved all those glittery nail varnish, but i think i was allergic to some as hands used to itch like mad, maybe it was the remover stuff, its lethal :D
  • Options
    lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://s22.postimg.org/k31amuael/photo_6.jpg

Love this colour. Shame I've done it very cack-handed but oh well!