is you tube a good or bad thing?

workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just saw a soldier in Iraq abuse a puppy,its on you tube (dont look for it as it will upset you if you have a heart)and feel annoyed it is available to see,I was looking at puppy videos and it popped up,I wasn't wanting to see abuse.i hate that soldier and would love if he was punished for it.please tell me people can't get away with this.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    They should restrict or enforce tighter guidelines on content submission. Like we have for films and games.
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah like on the news your warned if there is going to be upsetting scenes.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think YouTube is a good thing, mostly.

It is a Troll's paradise and the comments section is not for the faint-hearted... nor is a lot of the content.

Buuut, I think that in itself is a good thing. I'm not an advocate for heavy moderation of content.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has its pros and cons. The best thing is it brings attention to incidents like that one, which would force an organisation or military force to address the problem (that video, if it's the one I'm thinking of, was already two years old when it went mainstream, but both guys were eventually disciplined over their actions).

The bad thing is it might encourage some to film similar incidents to attract traffic. Difficult, really, but I think the former is more likely than the latter. If this is true, then I'm all for it to create policies for organisations and such to end certain practices as well as to provide ways to prevent some from doing it. Abuse against people and animals was apparently a way for some soldiers to cope with boredom or psychological issues.

I remember feeling horrified when I read Michael Herr's Dispatches . He described one American soldier who in Vietnam carried a puppy everywhere he went and from time to time, he purposely abused the puppy,
    like twisting its limb or similar, until it yelped in pain,
    just to find an emotion as he was numbed from being engaged in intense battles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on my phone so didn't see the comments.i have seen weird comments on yt on my computer but just assume their mental cases.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very very good thing. I love you tube.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    takae
    Thanks for your reply to say they were punished.i feel a bit better now.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's great for listening to music. Especially old music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    A very very good thing. I love you tube.

I loved it untill tonight,I like puppy and kitten videos.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's great for listening to music. Especially old music.

yeah I've used it for that to and some good jokes.the old ones are the best
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to be the way to go if you want to get noticed. (£1 fish anyone?)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    takae
    Thanks for your reply to say they were punished.i feel a bit better now.

I'm glad. Here's one to cheer you up a bit: Puppy vs. Orange. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I'm glad. Here's one to cheer you up a bit: Puppy vs. Orange. :D

that was cute thanks.you've done your good deed for the day and made me happy.nite nite.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Youtube is pretty much my music player - even relatively obscure songs (videos) are on youtube.

I also like watching clips from films from time to time, however I notice they have been trying to turn this into a money making scheme which means the importans bits are cut out and your redirected.

Then there's the amateur uploads of humorous happenings and footage of current affairs that can tell a different story to how the mainstream press report them i.e. riots...overall it's one of my most frequented sites and for good reason.
  • ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mixed opinion - not specifically about You Tube (which is now heavily censored anyway)..

Over the years I have seen horrible things on the internet, images that will stay in my mind for many years, some of which I could have quite happily lived without.

Do we get desensitized if we see too much - maybe.
    Do we get horrified by some of the things that go on in the world - maybe.

Should we face the horrors of what goes on - maybe.
    If we are disgusted - does that stop us turning a blind eye to the things we just don't want to know about - maybe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like youtube but only use it for music.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I upload music and clips of film. YouTube is good fun in my area - but then I don't go up the deep end.