Dead Corsair SSD

GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My Corsair Force 120 drive died today. I hard powered off the laptop yesterday, and today it is no more. It was purchased August 2011 - anyone know offhand what warranty period Corsair offered at the time?

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    My Corsair Force 120 drive died today. I hard powered off the laptop yesterday, and today it is no more. It was purchased August 2011 - anyone know offhand what warranty period Corsair offered at the time?

I think it was three years if I remember rightly.
    Do the bios reconise the drive?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

5 seconds of Googling says 3 years.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/cssd-f120gb2-brkt

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/corsair-force-series-f120-120gb-solid-state-drive-review/
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. No, the disk isn't recognised anywhere, by Windows repair or in my other computer via a caddy. Defo Dodo territory.

Am just going to order the Samsung 850 EVO 256 as replacement, which offers 5 years / 75 TB written (I assume so, their website actually says 75 Total Bytes Written which is a bit on the low side for my needs.... :D). Actually, does any

But for now I am back to spinning platters, plodding through the updates for a 2012 version of Windows :cry::cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. No, the disk isn't recognised anywhere, by Windows repair or in my other computer via a caddy. Defo Dodo territory.

Am just going to order the Samsung 850 EVO 256 as replacement, which offers 5 years / 75 TB written (I assume so, their website actually says 75 Total Bytes Written which is a bit on the low side for my needs.... :D). Actually, does any

But for now I am back to spinning platters, plodding through the updates for a 2012 version of Windows :cry::cry::cry:

My corsair force 3 is getting on now, over fours years and still going strong.
    I am thinking of going for the higher end corsair at some point.

spinning platters, yes, I do not envy you :)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    My corsair force 3 is getting on now, over fours years and still going strong.
    I am thinking of going for the higher end corsair at some point.

spinning platters, yes, I do not envy you :)

I think anyone using an SSD would think the same. HDDs are the equivalent to dial-up internet.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think anyone using an SSD would think the same. HDDs are the equivalent to dial-up internet.

Utter nonsense.
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with xk50...going back to spinning disks is very painful :-(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Utter nonsense.

I didn't mean literally, but just meant that a HDD is the dial-up of the storage world. SSDs would be the broadband of the storage world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with xk50...going back to spinning disks is very painful :-(

I won't be going back to them for an operating system if I can help it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are not that bad, I still use spinny drives for storage and they still do the job.
    I want a larger SSD drive so I can put video on when I am working on them,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mean literally, but just meant that a HDD is the dial-up of the storage world.

I am going to use dial up at the end of the week, got to sort a computer out which is still on dial up internet, should be fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not that bad, I still use spinny drives for storage and they still do the job.
    I want a larger SSD drive so I can put video on when I am working on them,

Yes, for storage. I'm talking about when opening programs.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be going back to them for an operating system if I can help it.

I've half a gig SSD as boot disk and 8TB of spinnies for data storage and my machine runs very fast and smooth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I've half a gig SSD as boot disk and 8TB of spinnies for data storage and my machine runs very fast and smooth.

I was talking about for an operating system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, for storage. I'm talking about when opening programs.

I have a fair bit of software on a 500GB hybrid spinny drive and they open pretty quickly, not as fast as if they was on the SSD, but fast enough.
    My steam games, the few I have is on the spinny drive, so is MS office. sony Vegas, photoshop and after effects are on the SSD

I also have a 2TB drive for storage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a fair bit of software on a 500GB hybrid spinny drive and they open pretty quickly, not as fast as if they was on the SSD, but fast enough.
    My steam games, the few I have is on the spinny drive, so is MS office. sony Vegas, photoshop and after effects are on the SSD

I also have a 2TB drive for storage.

How many average computer users have a hybrid HDD though? I'm talking about the HDD that you'll find in averagely priced computers/laptops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many average computer users have a hybrid HDD though? I'm talking about the HDD that you'll find in averagely priced computers/laptops.

I do not think the hybrid drive makes a lot of difference as a second drive. I have used another computer with the same sort of software I have got and it runs using a 4 year old seagate 1TB drive and it is usable, boot up takes longer, but not a huge amount, Vegas loads in pretty quick. again not as fast as the SDD, but not that much slower and the computer itself is a lesser spec than mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not think the hybrid drive makes a lot of difference as a second drive. I have used another computer with the same sort of software I have got and it runs using a 4 year old seagate 1TB drive and it is usable, boot up takes longer, but not a huge amount, Vegas loads in pretty quick. again not as fast as the SDD, but not that much slower and the computer itself is a lesser spec than mine.

Do you defragment it very much? The HDD I had in the last desktop I built wasn't that fast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you defragment it very much? The HDD I had in the last desktop I built wasn't that fast.

i don't defrag mine as windows 8 is suppose to do that. My mate have to defrag his now and again as he have Windows XP still.

I do not defrag my SSD.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My crucial M4 is just over 3 years old with 15% health lost, the performance of it could be better as it hangs sometimes when using the OS especially xp, example i click the start menu then programs it will hang for about 10secs before i can access it again and then ok.

I'm wondering whether to replace it even though it still works good otherwise. the firmware is currently 070H with no further update since 2013.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't defrag mine as windows 8 is suppose to do that. My mate have to defrag his now and again as he have Windows XP still.

I do not defrag my SSD.

No, that's supposed to quickly shorten the lifespan of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    My crucial M4 is just over 3 years old with 15% health lost, the performance of it could be better as it hangs sometimes when using the OS especially xp, example i click the start menu then programs it will hang for about 10secs before i can access it again and then ok.

I'm wondering whether to replace it even though it still works good otherwise. the firmware is currently 070H with no further update since 2013.

XP doesn't have trim. Are you using any software that trims it?