Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anonandon wrote: »
    In 1992, I returned for the second year of university, when through unforeseen circumstances, I found out I had no place to stay. I had the address of some friends so knocked on the door, no one in, tried calling but the phone was disconnected. We were students, not international company reps, so no one had a mobile. I went to the pub.
    Every hour, I picked up my kit bag and headed off to try my friends again, only to turn up at the same spot in the bar.
    After the third time a voice chirped up "Are you locked out mate?" Sarcasticly, I replied "No, I'm homeless.".
    "It's a bit more serious then." Came the reply. I then explained the situation and this complete stranger, picks up the pay phone and Yellow Pages, starts shoving change into it and phoning up B&B's and guest houses and hotels. He did this for a good half an hour before giving up and turning to me and saying "If you can't find your friends, come back here at 9pm and either me or my girlfriend will see you have a place for the night." Now, I was 6'3, 16 stone, with a crew cut, not some pretty little student type. But the former lead singer of The Housemartins and the then lead singer of The Beautiful South, Paul Heaton was willing to offer, his sincere help, to a person that needed it. It's good to know not all successful people are pricks.

What a lovely story. :)
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a Brian Adams concert at Celtic Park in Glasgow in 1992 with a mate. My pal waited outside for hours in the pouring rain on Adams coming out so he could get his autograph. I went home. F'ck that, what's the big deal about somebody's signature? Anyway, when Adams came out, surrounded by minders, he was an arrogant. miserable arsehole. My buddy asked him to sign his programme and white tee shirt. Adams refused, saying he'd only sign one and not both so pick which one. What sour faced pr1ck. to have that attitude with fans that've waited for ages after spending loads of money. F#cking bellend.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    I went to a Brian Adams concert at Celtic Park in Glasgow in 1992 with a mate. My pal waited outside for hours in the pouring rain on Adams coming out so he could get his autograph. I went home. F'ck that, what's the big deal about somebody's signature? Anyway, when Adams came out, surrounded by minders, he was an arrogant. miserable arsehole. My buddy asked him to sign his programme and white tee shirt. Adams refused, saying he'd only sign one and not both so pick which one. What sour faced pr1ck. to have that attitude with fans that've waited for ages after spending loads of money. F#cking bellend.

Nothing about that story says to be that Adams is a "sour- faced prick", etc- but it does say a lot about the attitude of fans.
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they dont always have tme to sign two things eeach what if everyone asked the same
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When Dave Walliams came to our town bookshop, he'd only sign books, and just one per person/group. There was a massive queue. It was about time versus all getting served.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Nothing about that story says to be that Adams is a "sour- faced prick", etc- but it does say a lot about the attitude of fans.
    they dont always have tme to sign two things eeach what if everyone asked the same
    When Dave Walliams came to our town bookshop, he'd only sign books, and just one per person/group. There was a massive queue. It was about time versus all getting served.

Because it was pouring with rain there was hardly anybody outside waiting on him emerging. I think there only was a handful of fans. In those circumstances yes he was a sour face prick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it was pouring with rain there was hardly anybody outside waiting on him emerging. I think there only was a handful of fans. In those circumstances yes he was a sour face prick.
    No one forced them to stand in the pouring rain. How can you sign autographs in the pouring rain anyway? It would have been completely understandable if he hadn't signed any.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    No one forced them to stand in the pouring rain. How can you sign autographs in the pouring rain anyway? It would have been completely understandable if he hadn't signed any.

:D......How you doing, Brian? Planning any more tours...? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D......How you doing, Brian? Planning any more tours...? :D
    Ha! I'm not even a fan.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    kelvo wrote: »
    Not met as such but was outside ITV studios back last year when Charlotte Hawkins was leaving one morning, think it was about September so she was quite pregnant then. Didn't get to speak to her as she was getting into her car and there was quite a gaggle of photographers around her - although I did get my own snap, but she came across as very lovely, chatting to everyone - she looked beautiful and having only ever seen her on TV was surprised how tall she is. I think everything I've ever heard about her being so friendly is very true.

Yeah I've always thought she comes across as genuinely nice! Good to hear!
  • catboy71catboy71 Posts: 471
    Forum Member

A friend of mine met Bryan Adams before a gig at the Edinburgh Playhouse many years back . They ended up in a local bar having a few drinks together before the gig , and by all accounts seemed a pretty decent chap . Sorry to hear about your friends experience though.
  • PorterjohPorterjoh Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Anonandon wrote: »
    In 1992, I returned for the second year of university, when through unforeseen circumstances, I found out I had no place to stay. I had the address of some friends so knocked on the door, no one in, tried calling but the phone was disconnected. We were students, not international company reps, so no one had a mobile. I went to the pub.
    Every hour, I picked up my kit bag and headed off to try my friends again, only to turn up at the same spot in the bar.
    After the third time a voice chirped up "Are you locked out mate?" Sarcasticly, I replied "No, I'm homeless.".
    "It's a bit more serious then." Came the reply. I then explained the situation and this complete stranger, picks up the pay phone and Yellow Pages, starts shoving change into it and phoning up B&B's and guest houses and hotels. He did this for a good half an hour before giving up and turning to me and saying "If you can't find your friends, come back here at 9pm and either me or my girlfriend will see you have a place for the night." Now, I was 6'3, 16 stone, with a crew cut, not some pretty little student type. But the former lead singer of The Housemartins and the then lead singer of The Beautiful South, Paul Heaton was willing to offer, his sincere help, to a person that needed it. It's good to know not all successful people are pricks.

Great story, better guy.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,442
    Forum Member
    robborocks wrote: »
    Ah wow, very jealous but also very pleased to hear how great they are.

How was their show btw?

Their show was brilliant, though I annoyed my boyfriend by constantly asking how things were done lol (my bf is not a magician so I don't know why I thought he'd know)
  • AnniedAnnied Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I come from a family of female opera buffs and in 1991 myself, mum and my aunt bought tickets to see Jose Carreras in concert in Sydney as we were riding high after the Three Tenors smash hit the previous year. We spent a small fortune between the three of us on an overnight at the Park Hyatt hotel booking a suite overlooking the opera house and the harbour. A real treat for us and we were so excited at seeing our hero in concert and staying at this wonderful hotel. Concert was great, hotel was everything we expected. We found out Jose was staying at the same hotel in the Govenor Suite the floor above us - wow :p.

Next morning after checking out we stood outside waiting for a taxi and saw a flash looking car parked at the door with 'Jose Carreras' printed on a card in the windscreen - his personal car - again...wow :p.

Just before our taxi arrived the man himself emerges from the VIP exit and someone holds his door open, my aunt was absolutely beside herself with excitement and said 'Im going to say hello before he gets in!'. She walks the few steps over, says 'Mr Carreras we were at the concert last night and we just want to say thank you for coming to Sydney'. Carreras stopped with raised eyebrows, looked at her like she was something he'd scraped off his shoe and then got into the car and was whisked away. He was with his then German girlfriend.

To say my aunt was devastated and embarrassed to the point of being upset is an understatement. At the end of the concert the night before when taking his bows four old dears stood at the foot of the stage with flowers for him, directly under his nose, and he completely ignored them. Mum said because he'd been very ill for a few years he was probably still not himself. Not likely - rude little bugger >:(

I was amazed when I read this as my experiences were completely different. I was lucky enough to have a ticket for one of the first recitals Carreras gave after he recovered from leukaemia. The atmosphere was absolutely unbelievable, I remember the standing ovation continued for a full half an hour when he first stepped onto the stage and before he'd even sung a note. He was in tears and so were half of the audience. The next morning, he was at Tower Records in Leicester Square for a record signing. He must still have been exhausted, both emotionally and physically and there was a very long queue. A lady a couple of places ahead of me told us that several years previously she'd been a dresser at the Royal Opera House and had worked with Carreras a few times. She didn't expect him to remember her as it had all been so long ago. She told us what a lovely man he was and how pleased she'd been that he'd made such a good recovery and was able to start performing again. In fact, he recognised her immediately (I saw his face light up), and by the time he'd signed her CD, she was walking on air. He did came across as rather shy, I got the impression that he would have liked to chat more to the rest of us, but just didn't know what to say.

A few months later I was at a concert he gave at the Dominion. At the last minute, it was decided to record it for television. The television crew repeatedly asked Carreras to do things over again and were pretty disruptive as far as the smooth running of the show was concerned. Carreras was extremely polite all the way through, did everything that was asked of him, but by the end he was clearly shattered. I can remember the large dark circles under his eyes. Nevertheless, he still made the time to meet the considerable number of fans who were waiting at the stage door. A table and chair were set up for him just inside the theatre, so that every one was able to have an individual word with him.

I know several people who went to hear him a lot more often than I did, one of whom could be rather intrusive. (She once approached him from behind as he was getting into a car, grabbed him and gave him a kiss.) Carreras was never anything but courteous to her, which was actually more than she deserved!
  • BarrymorefanBarrymorefan Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Lee Hurst - waited two hours in the freezing cold in Barnsley waiting for him to turn up only for him to say "I don't sign before the show, but I will after". So I went off to the pub, saw the gig and waited after and he signed my things and had a quick photo so that's fair enough.
    Al Murray - very funny show, has an after show signing after every show and he was very funny and a great bloke. Took the time to talk to everyone and had photos and signed things.
    Billy Bragg- Saw him outside a debate in Manchester and asked him for a photo and for him to sign something. Even though he was late he posed for the photo and signed my things. We were going to the same place so we walked in together, chatting away. Then we shook hands, later on he tapped me on shoulder whilst I was queuing and said hello again. Later saw him at a gig and we spoke again. In my experience, he was a top bloke.
    Paul Weller - was very hard to meet him outside Halifax Victoria Theatre but managed to get him to sign a record and he also made sure he had a photo with everyone that was waiting - and there must have been 40+ people. It was very brief but fair play to him.
    Kermit (rapper from Black Grape) - Saw him outside a Black Grape gig and asked him to sign a couple of things, he obliged and we had a quick chat and a photo. Nice geezer.
    Ian Aspinall - actor from East is East and Holby City. Saw him at the same gig and asked him who he was as I recognised him. He was very unassuming and a nice bloke. Had a quick chat with him.
    Clint Boon - Keyboard player in Inspiral Carpets, at the same gig, he was DJing but took the time to have photos. We had a good laugh at the pissed up bloke who was trying to take the photo!
    Andy Kershaw - DJ, went to see his one man show in Cleckheaton and he went on for three hours! Very funny and interesting bloke. Had a quick chat after the show where he was signing books, I had been run over by a car about two week before so he asked me about my injuries! Great bloke.
    Bruce Foxton - Bass player from The Jam, very brief, he signed some of my old records and had a quick picture and shook my hand. One of my heroes.
    Jeremy Hardy - Comedian, I was sat in the pub next to the venue, quite fresh as I remember! and saw him entering the venue and had a quick picture and he signed some of my things. Very small man in the flesh!
    Rick Buckler - Drummer from The Jam. Went to his book signing in Derby and we were talking for about 5 minutes about The Jam, why Paul Weller doesn't speak to him and what Rick is up to these days. Very nice bloke and could have talked for hours if there hadn't have been a queue!

In the next few weeks and months I am hoping to try and meet Ranking Roger, Dave Wakeling, Alan Carr, Johnny Rotten, Ed Byrne, Jim Davidson, Sean Hughes, Alan Davies, Harry Enfield, Paul Whitehouse, Shaun Ryder, Bez, Bill Bailey and Paddy McGuinness. Any stories?
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watching the who i met roger once lovely man

Though perhaps not so lovely as a husband, I saw him on TOTP 1980 recently and he said of his wife " I do what I want and she does what I say!", which apparently includes him bonking groupies when out on tour, not sure if his wife's allowed to play the field whilst he's away, I suspect not! They have been married a long time so she must be happy with this arrangement, after all it affords her a very comfortable lifestyle.
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well thats up to her isnt it like i say this about 91 and he was very pleasanr
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well thats up to her isnt it like i say this about 91 and he was very pleasanr

I'm not saying Roger Daltrey's an all round bad bloke, just not the kind of marriage a lot of women would want, but rock n' roll seems to have it's own rules when it comes to wedlock and wives having to put up with their husbands indiscretions! Roger's done lots of good work with the Teenage Cancer Trust over the years.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Hardy - Comedian, I was sat in the pub next to the venue, quite fresh as I remember! and saw him entering the venue and had a quick picture and he signed some of my things. Very small man in the flesh!?

I met him twice - the first time was in the bar after his show at Chorley Little Theatre - just a quick word from me to say how much I enjoyed the show - he was very appreciative and seemed to be chatting to anyone. The second time was again at Chorley Little Theatre - this time my friend and I had a great long chat with him. He really is a nice chap - you're right though - he is tiny! BTW - his shows are hilarious!
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Brad from The Vamps whilst having a drink in a pub. He's originally from my area and we were sort of with the same circle of friends, he was lovely. Didn't speak much but seemed very grounded and kind.

Never met her personally but I know someone who served Emma Willis in Selfridges, she was buying a pair of shoes to wear on her first night on hosting Big Brother. She was lovely apparently, couldn't have been kinder to the staff working there - asking for opinions on what she was wearing and whatnot. She also served Katy Perry once, who was also nice.

I met Travie McCoy from Gym Class Heroes once, outside a gig. He was wandering around outside and a friend asked for a picture. He refused, saying he was with a child which I guess is fair enough. He seemed very shy.
  • TTTangoTTTango Posts: 7,619
    Forum Member
    Claypio wrote: »
    Met Daniel Radcliffe in a nightclub on the Kings road before the summer. He was quite happy to pose for pictures with people and was very apologetic and polite when he wobbled into me at the bar. He was absolutely hammered which I found funny having watched him talking about being tea-total on Graham Norton a few weeks before .

Dan is only young, so I will let him off, but he/(or maybe it is the press) should not go around saying he is a recovering alcoholic.
    Being labelled as such means anytime he is seen drinking, people will comment, whereas people would not normally comment on a 25 year old out enjoying themselves, it is what people his age do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    You can disregard my celeb experiences if you like but I felt like including them to the list

-I have met two X Factor contestants, the first one being Aiden Grimshaw who referred to me as beautiful and Joseph Whelan who got to judges houses who was lovely but also complimentary of my boobs
    -I have also met Louis Walsh's boyband Hometown at a record signing. They were lovely. One of them asked me if I was okay and I replied, "I am now I've met you"
    -I went to school with Irish rugby player Simon Zebo who seemed like a nice enough guy
    -I met Britain's Got Talent contestant Ryan O'Shaughnessy. I got to hug him and he smelled really nice

Luckily, all my celeb experiences have been good
  • seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of mine:

Met Adam Garcia at the stage door when he was in Wicked on the West End. He was lovely to the fans and even hugged a girl who was so overcome she cried when she spoke to him ...

Kevin Eldon near Piccadilly Circus. I was really awkward and just said I thought he was a funny guy. He smiled and said thank you, seems like a nice guy

Meera Syal at a press event for Tetley Tea (I attended because I won a competition). They were running a new ad campaign so had someone talk about the launch, then there was an afternoon tea. I sadly wasn't sitting near her but she was making the people on either side laugh, I hadn't realised how tiny she is in real life though (and I am not exactly tall myself!)

Ann Widdecombe, who spoke at my university (and I got to speak to her after the event.)

On the not so nice side, someone I know met Barbara Windsor when EastEnders was filming on location in Spain (they worked in a bar that was used for filming) and says she was a huge diva
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Meera Syal at a press event for Tetley Tea (I attended because I won a competition). They were running a new ad campaign so had someone talk about the launch, then there was an afternoon tea. I sadly wasn't sitting near her but she was making the people on either side laugh, I hadn't realised how tiny she is in real life though (and I am not exactly tall myself!)

Ann Widdecombe, who spoke at my university (and I got to speak to her after the event.)

Love Meera Syal, and nice to hear that she is apparently as lovely as I think she is.

Not surprised about Ann Widdecombe. Have heard quite a few people say that she is a very nice person. Even people who are politically her polar opposite have commented on her generosity and good humour.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Met quite a few celebs over me 50+ years!

Nice
    Robbie Williams - bumped into him in local wine bar
    Boy George - used to live near me
    Dennis Bergkamp - got his autograph in Brent Cross shopping centre
    Ray Wilkins - at Chelsea in the 70's
    Alan Smith - at the Emirates Arsenal
    Alan Shearer - at the Emirates
    Patrick Mower - used to live down my road
    Ronald Regan - at a hotel where my dad worked
    Charlton Heston - same hotel
    Russell Crowe - in Pizza Hut (yes) with his kids
    Telly Savalas (Kojak) - came to my school
    George Best (twice) - Dover Street wine bar
    Max Wall - on a train
    Tom Conti (used to see and chat to him loads in my local supermarket)
    Audrey (from Corrie in same supermarket)
    Jade Goody - west end
    Danny Dyer - Islibgton
    Dan Ackroyd - Dublin Airport
    Ian Beale (don't know his real name), but did the conga in a music venue with him :blush:
    Brian Blessed, Bonnie Langford & Paul Nicholas - when they were in Cats
    Johnny Rotton - in my local Hospital!

Can't think of any that were unpleasant really but my friend worked for a record company many years ago and said Cilla Black wasn't nice, but she also met Michael Caine who she was was adorable.