Options

The return of Catchphrase

MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,463
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see that Catchphrase is set to return but why oh why with Stephen Mulhern :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Do ITV not realise the reason the original series tanked after 2000 was due to replacing much loved Roy Walker as host.

Why don't they simply bring back Roy Walker as host as most desire???

It also goes to highlight that ITV are an ageist broadcaster with the majority of shows and programmes hosted by under 40s, older celebs do not have a chance on ITV anymore.

Comments

• Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen bloody Mulhern :(
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The days of this kind of naff game show are over. I bet this is a celebrity version. That's ITV's default setting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy Walker was a legend. Having said that, he was only good for his time on TV. This type of show, as pointed out, is more or less outdated. The fact that Stephen Mulhern is set to present the show makes it much worse!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    May be Walker didn't want the gig. Could be he just doesn't want it, he doesn't like the concept of a remake, he doesn't like the ITV celeb obsessed remakes.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer Telly addicts to be brought back despite how much I loved catchphrase.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Show's like this have had its day Roy Walker is better of away from it! No doubt it will be a celebrity version that feature Someone from TOWIE and Joe Swash! :sleep::sleep::sleep:
  • Options
    steven walkingsteven walking Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Stephen bloody Mulhern :(

Another bland insipid untalented gonk, ah the fern cotton effect in action.:D
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I would prefer Telly addicts to be brought back despite how much I loved catchphrase.

Only if it's early catchphrase. Noel has a track record of getting programmes pretty much spot on early on, then pratting about with it and ruining them.

In Telly Addicts, once he introduced the fake old fashioned continuity announcer, it turned to utter rubbish. On House Party, once he started to flog Mr Blobby into the ground, it turned rubbish. On DoND, once they extended it's length and started peddling the contestants sob stories for all they were worth, it turned rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »

I would love Telly Addicts to return...get Noel off DOND and back to presenting that - the first few years way...we need this show back
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was muted a few weeks ago that Catchphrase was to be Challenge TV's next remake I suppose this puts pay to that idea.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I'm glad they aren't bringing back Roy Walker, he overdid it with the terrible jokes.

No doubt it will be Celebrity Catchphrase instead.
  • Options
    paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Star Celebrity Catchphrase? Give me the Roy Walker version any day.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I love watching catchphrase but couldnt stand roy walker! Its a good answer but its not right. Well its not good then!!
  • Options
    robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it possible Roy didn't want to do it?
    Not excited by Mulhern at all..but then the last two presenters of Catchphrase did nothing for me either
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Mulhern will NOT have the same spark that Roy had all those years ago on Catchphrase. I doubt he will anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I love watching catchphrase but couldnt stand roy walker! Its a good answer but its not right. Well its not good then!!

A good answer, as in, answering Roy's question of what the catchphrase is.
  • Options
    Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Mulhern! :confused: Who he?

It wouldn't be so bad if ITV's idea of celebrities were bright enough to make the bottom of the Z list, but they're a long way from that. :(
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the presenters you could choose, why Stephen F***ing Mulhern?! :mad:
    If this does happen they will no doubt ruin it by making it an hour long, having celebs play it, shoving in a lame competition, having breaks every 8 minutes and replacing the Catchphrases with ugly CGI. :(
    Why couldn't Challenge have got this instead? They did fantastic with Blockbusters.
    Also, why would you put this on ITV2 in amongst all the Z-list celebrity tripe?! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Y Me wrote: »
    Stephen Mulhern! :confused: Who he?

It wouldn't be so bad if ITV's idea of celebrities were bright enough to make the bottom of the Z list, but they're a long way from that. :(

I haven't a clue who he is either and after looking him up on Google I still can't recall ever seeing him on the telly. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben P wrote: »
    I haven't a clue who he is either and after looking him up on Google I still can't recall ever seeing him on the telly. :o

He presents a behind the scenes programme of Britain's Got Talent when it's on. Or he did, anyway.
  • Options
    Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good news

But it's not right without Roy
  • Options
    Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that ITV only have 3 gameshow presenters..

Vernon Kay
    Ant+Dec (count as one)
    Stephen Mulhern

The other two must've had other commitments hence Mulhern getting the gig. :rolleyes::(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am i missing something? i know catchphrase is coming back but i am sure they new presenter has not been confirmed yet? yes i know Stephen Mulhern is one host lined up but nothing is confirmed yet regarding presenter or is it?

saying that i think Stephen is a good choice as Nick Weir was not good, Marc Curry was slightly better.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith Lemon should definitely be doing this! And it should be a late night version where you can have any phrase you like. e.g. Built Like A Brick Shithouse, I dare you to imagine that one onscreen...;)

Mulhern...you look at him and there's just a vacuum...;)
  • Options
    Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith Lemon should definitely be doing this! And it should be a late night version where you can have any phrase you like. e.g. Built Like A Brick Shithouse, I dare you to imagine that one onscreen...;)

Mulhern...you look at him and there's just a vacuum...;)

No No No Keith I do everything for attention Lemon should not be allowed anywhere near a legendary gameshow like Catchphrase.