Can you pop a boil?

potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
Forum Member
I have 2 quite large boils on my back and they are really hurting.
There are no heads on them. Can I pop them with a sterilised needle without leaving scars?

Comments

• madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    potatolegs wrote: »
    There are no heads on them. Can I pop them with a sterilised needle without leaving scars?

Leave it to the professionals go the walk in center for some advice. I had emergency surgery under a general on Thursday as 3 boils turned out to be a cyst which burst under the skin.
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    madnes wrote: »
    Leave it to the professionals go the walk in center for some advice. I had emergency surgery under a general on Thursday as 3 boils turned out to be a cyst which burst under the skin.

Ouch that sounds very painful...

If these don't get a head soon I'm going to have to pop them if the professionals don't give any real advice as they are hurting so much.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried this with a small red lumpy spot, stuck a needle in and all that came out was blood, if you are expecting a vulcano of pus to conveniently flow out you might be disappointed, boils can be dangerous and you might spread the infection.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Boils need medical attention.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they haven't come to a head, you can't pop them anyway, as there's nothing to pop. Try soaking a cloth in very hot water, as hot as you can bear, and laying that on the boils, it sometimes encourages them to come to a head, when they'll probably pop themselves anyway. I wouldn't advise using a needle, sterile or otherwise, particularly for a boil on the back, where you can't see it properly. You'll just spread the infection. You need professional advice, as you might require a course of antibiotics.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    You could try drawing it to a head with magnesium sulphate paste from the chemist.
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boils need medical attention.

No they don't, you leave them alone, the body will deal with boils and will dissapate in a few days in their own good time, if you burst or lance them they will leave a pock-mark.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    No they don't, you leave them alone, the body will deal with boils and will dissapate in a few days in their own good time, if you burst or lance them they will leave a pock-mark.

From experience that is a load of bollocks ...
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No leave them alone, go and get some medical help, dont do anything your self.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try drawing it to a head with magnesium sulphate paste from the chemist.

That was the treatment I had. It took some days and then it was lanced.
  • madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch that sounds very painful...

If these don't get a head soon I'm going to have to pop them if the professionals don't give any real advice as they are hurting so much.

A 3 cm width and 1.5 cm deep open wound which is being packed daily. Not painful just annoying. I started antibiotics today. Next time I am getting them sorted before getting to the stage of an op! HA HA
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I believe you lance a boil, so firstly you'll need to source a thermic lance.