You never see athiests doing this!

UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Clashes over Bangladesh protest leave '15 dead'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22423815

Chanting "Allahu Akbar!" ("God is greatest!") and "One point! One demand! Atheists must be hanged", the activists marched down at least six main roads as they headed for Motijheel, AFP news agency reported.

Athiests may have many faults, but we've never demanded the religious hanged.

Comments

• PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    Clashes over Bangladesh protest leave '15 dead'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22423815

Chanting "Allahu Akbar!" ("God is greatest!") and "One point! One demand! Atheists must be hanged", the activists marched down at least six main roads as they headed for Motijheel, AFP news agency reported.

Athiests may have many faults, but we've never demanded the religious hanged.

You don't think the fact that they're Islamists and therefore likely fanatic fruitcakes has anything to do with it then? Open your eyes man.
  • UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    You don't think the fact that they're Islamists and therefore likely fanatic fruitcakes has anything to do with it then? Open your eyes man.

So it's ok to demand death if you're a fanatic?
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Twenty million killed? :(
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, but they're hardly representative of religion per se, which is what you are wanting to have a pop at.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member

Nice stretch, Armstrong.

Nobody said that being a fruitcake makes it okay to demand hanging. The point is that being a fruitcake means that their point of view is not to be taken seriously.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Atheists may not always go to that extreme, but they do try and trample all over people's beliefs eg (selective) banning of religious symbols or expressions.

Are the protesters themselves defaming Islam. or are they showing it up for what it really is? If it's not the latter then they must be falsely representing(ie defaming) Islam.
  • dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fink wrote: »

"I am Muslim and 90% of the population is Muslim too but the protesters do not represent our views," he said.

And, the rest are mostly Hindis.

So a tiny percentage of fanatics.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Closer to home, I am yet to have an atheist knock on my door and try and sell me their way of thinking.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Closer to home, I am yet to have an atheist knock on my door and try and sell me their way of thinking.
    They don't have time to do that, they're too busy doing it on internet forums and youtube. :D
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that atheists don't do bad, but that atheism can't be a reason for why anyone would do something like this.

"I will kill you because no god told me to" or "beacuse you don't not serve the same no god as I don't".
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if we didnt have religion what would we argue about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Atheists may not always go to that extreme, but they do try and trample all over people's beliefs eg (selective) banning of religious symbols or expressions.
    Oh the religious organisations do that all the time, even if the bulk of their own congregation disagrees with them usually.
    Are the protesters themselves defaming Islam. or are they showing it up for what it really is? If it's not the latter then they must be falsely representing(ie defaming) Islam.
    It depends on whether another Muslim agrees with them or not surely?. If they agree with the extremists then yes, this group are representing their views. If they disagree with them, then they aren't. Simple.
  • copthis1copthis1 Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Price of beer...
    Forum Member

Benefit claimants. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Food and land. And shiny things.

But we might get on with developing technology and expanding our knowledge more rapidly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He/she isn't saying that, they're just stating that you can't just generalize an entire religion based on a few nutters for your own agenda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't have time to do that, they're too busy doing it on internet forums and youtube. :D

Which is by far the more appropriate place for it.

Your door is always there. Unless someone steals your door. But you and everyone else, has to actively seek out the web pages to be exposed to what's on there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    It's not that atheists don't do bad, but that atheism can't be a reason for why anyone would do something like this.

"I will kill you because no god told me to" or "beacuse you don't not serve the same no god as I don't".

The bit in bold is obviously true, but it's also tautologous. An atheist can't use God as a reason, because by definition, they don't believe in God.

Atheists can however believe that "religion is a cancer and must be eradicated, even if that means killing the religious". And that is really a subset of the kind of thinking that says "beliefs other than mine are a cancer and must be eradicated, even if that means killing people of other beliefs".

What really matters is not whether people are theists or atheists, but whether they have totalitarian or violent interpretations of their worldviews.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What really matters is not whether people are theists or atheists, but whether they have totalitarian or violent interpretations of their worldview.

My point is that atheism isn't a worldview at all, that it's nothing. You have to go beyond atheism to see cause for you to behave a certain way.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Twenty million killed? :(

And that's before you count Pol Pot, Mao, et al.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    My point is that atheism isn't a worldview at all, that it's nothing. You have to go beyond atheism to see cause for you to behave a certain way.

If it was nothing, it would be called nothing. Atheism is the belief that there are no gods. It says something fundamental about how that person sees the world they inhabit.

You have to go beyond mere theism to see cause for you to behave in a certain way too. That's what I meant when I referred to violent and totalitarian interpretations.
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    The faith, dogma, and fanatical devotion to a figurehead that we usually have in mind when referring to Stalinism, Maoism or Nazism seems to me to have more in common with religion than it does with atheism.
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is not the nature of a vacuum.
    Create a vacuum and it will be filled by the thing closest to it.
    Take away the worship of a higher power (whether it exists or not) and what you are left with is self-worship.
    When man worships himself all things become permissible.
    Forum Member
    The bit in bold is obviously true, but it's also tautologous. An atheist can't use God as a reason, because by definition, they don't believe in God.

Atheists can however believe that "religion is a cancer and must be eradicated, even if that means killing the religious". And that is really a subset of the kind of thinking that says "beliefs other than mine are a cancer and must be eradicated, even if that means killing people of other beliefs".

What really matters is not whether people are theists or atheists, but whether they have totalitarian or violent interpretations of their worldviews.

Couldn't agree more.