Options

That was unrealistic with Abi Branning last night

KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,278
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Word autosaves with a good frequency to protect you in case of a power launch. Unless Abi was saying that she left the entire assignment until the last day

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Word autosaves with a good frequency to protect you in case of a power launch. Unless Abi was saying that she left the entire assignment until the last day

Yes Word does do that indeed, very handy and Abi did type up a bit of her assignment as I saw text on her document and the camera showed her typing.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I thought about too, unless that feature was somehow switched off :p

I just kept imagining if Max were around he'd have found a way some to save the day. Max knows where the fuse box is, Max will save Abi's assignment.

That said, I couldn't quite work out why the laptop would havbe been that badly affected. Surely it was battery powered even if was connected to the mains. That's enough time to think, "blimey the powers out, I'd better save my work before the battery drains".
  • Options
    Glitter03Glitter03 Posts: 2,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was using a laptop. Fair enough if it was plugged in but it wouldnt have auto switched off lol it would have had some battery life in it especially if being plugged in for so long!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Yes I thought about too, unless that feature was somehow switched off :p

I just kept imagining if Max were around he'd have found a way some to save the day. Max knows where the fuse box is, Max will save Abi's assignment.

That said, I couldn't quite work out why the laptop would havbe been that badly affected. Surely it was battery powered even if was connected to the mains. That's enough time to think, "blimey the powers out, I'd better save my work before the battery drains".

Yeah, battery should have saved it, what do they take us for, Tech Illiterate morons?
  • Options
    kaz80kaz80 Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

exactly and if word crashes it recovers your document too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, it seemed quite ridiculous for her to blame her losing her assignment on Max being in prison when all she had to do was save it :D
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pretty much said all these comments last night when watching it with my Mum
  • Options
    BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utterly ridiculous. The laptop would not have turned off with the power cut. It also wouldn't have magically turned back on that quickly if the battery had been drained.

Nonsense. It makes me wonder what the writers write on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. I mean lets face it, at University (Granted she is not there but still), it is drilled into you to save it yourself every five minutes or so. Also, its not entirely Max's fault, Kirsty and Cora both seemed to agree that neither of them could be bothered with the electricity bill
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used paper and a Bic biro back in my day, don't remember that ever crashing because the old man was in the big house.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Also rather unrealistic that not one of them knows where the fuse box is. It is hardly the first time Max has been absent from the house for months at a time is it.
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abi and her studies are so over dramatic.
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,397
    Forum Member
    Benllech wrote: »
    Abi and her studies are so over dramatic.

Abi in 2084 http://feminine1st.com/wp-content/uploads/FFF-Rose-87-year-old-student.jpg
  • Options
    BloodRayneBloodRayne Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Bertypop wrote: »
    Utterly ridiculous. The laptop would not have turned off with the power cut. It also wouldn't have magically turned back on that quickly if the battery had been drained.

Nonsense. It makes me wonder what the writers write on.

BIB On Abi's Laptop :D
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most laptops which use an external battery you can use them without a battery so it isn't actually unrealistic.

http://pcmadeeasy.tumblr.com/post/16323319059/can-i-use-a-laptop-without-a-battery
    http://www.ask.com/question/can-a-laptop-work-without-a-battery

Also, we don't actually know what word processor Abi was using so it might not even have auto save?
  • Options
    LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use a laptop with a battery in it as it ruins the battery but yeah austosave seems pretty obvious lol
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have been way more realistic if they showed even half of the text was recovered, but the rest of it was lost.
    The whole "blank page on screen" thing is fast becoming a complete soap cliche:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But in 2085 she finally makes it as a vet!
  • Options
    meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Most laptops which use an external battery you can use them without a battery so it isn't actually unrealistic.

http://pcmadeeasy.tumblr.com/post/16323319059/can-i-use-a-laptop-without-a-battery
    http://www.ask.com/question/can-a-laptop-work-without-a-battery

Also, we don't actually know what word processor Abi was using so it might not even have auto save?

It was Word 2010 (I am sad but I can tell). However you can have the auto save turned off, but even if it was turned on, if the laptop died and went off anything typed since the last save might not remember the auto save.

On the subject of the battery, my laptop has to be used plugged in because the battery needs replacing and I haven't got the money to replace it. The battery symbol says full but it will die after 5 mins if it is unplugged.
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,397
    Forum Member
    But in 2085 she finally makes it as a vet!

:D clever
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is theoretically possible. BUT what would have happened is that Abi has and old or secondhand offf ebay laptop with a dodgy battery and pirate copy of word 2010 with no autosave (or it switched off and she doesn't know how to turn it on.)

But I'm pretty sure that while I would expect Biancas kids to have the above set up, I expect the brannings to have legit BNIB stuff that they paid over the odds for on the high street.
  • Options
    garthwest89garthwest89 Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Because Abis laptop is the most unrealistic thing about eastenders... :cool:
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    Being realistic overcharging your battery is bad for the battery. I take mine out and run off the mains when its charged and I am near a power point. Was she using word? I don't use Microsoft Office unless its for work preferring the free usually better alternatives.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    When I used to type my assignments, I'd be that paranoid, I'd save the doc every 5 minutes. So she typed a whole assignement and didn't save it anyway? I'm getting sick of her anyway and her annoying voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose we should have embraced this 'laptop' story instead of slating it.

At least it wiped that stupid, inane grin off her face for a couple of minutes.