Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Yeah, they're probably the same people who 'win' Pointless every day on here.

Ooooh... miaow!! :)

Actually, I did not get who dunnit it this week (I thought it was the son) but I am quite happy for those who did to "brag" about it.
    Surely one of the points about a show like this is for people to have a guess?
    To be honest, I sometimes guess, and sometimes switch my brains off and just wallow in the story. Either way, it is enjoyable hokum.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As fake suicides go it was a bit rubbish, set up a fake death and then at some later point officially use your passport? :p
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    As fake suicides go it was a bit rubbish, set up a fake death and then at some later point officially use your passport? :p

I think they said he'd hitch a ride off one of his arms dealer buddies on their boat to Mexico but he wouldn't be going on a Thomson all inclusive packages any time soon!! Mexico for the rest of his days....or until he gets a fake passport.

We put way too much thought into this!! Every week I say 'Where's the prison? Why do we never see the prison - there must be one' :D
  • RobbomanRobboman Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    We put way too much thought into this!! Every week I say 'Where's the prison? Why do we never see the prison - there must be one' :D

St Lucia?
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    In this series, instead of Camille slowly falling for a Richard who is completely oblivious to her, we now have a clumsy Humph becoming infatuated with Camille - "Fidel do this, Dwayne do that, and me and Camille..." was used twice, plus asking her out for a meal. I'm not sure how they can move this forward. Humph will carry on trying to get together with Camille, until either she emphatically rejects him, or accepts. Either would spoil the series, unless, as someone suggested earlier in the thread, his wife turns up just as he and Camille are starting to get involved.

I don't think Richard was totally immune but probably the character was too buttoned up to consider a relationship with a subordinate... the writers had moved them on well in the second series (and both BM and SM had made comments about that in the run up to the second season airing, so at that time I guess BM hadn't made his decision to quit, and they and the writers guessed that's where those two characters would be headed).

I noticed that "Me and Camille" thing twice and whilst she didn't reject him, she still has a sense of distance - for now.

I don't know that they will advance much in the next two episodes (especially given the spoiler at the end for next week's eppy) but I do think Mrs Humph will appear at the end of the series as a plot device to push them together in another series (IF they pick it up again).

If the ratings stay steady, it could well be a fourth series development...
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    I don't think Richard was totally immune but probably the character was too buttoned up to consider a relationship with a subordinate... the writers had moved them on well in the second series (and both BM and SM had made comments about that in the run up to the second season airing, so at that time I guess BM hadn't made his decision to quit, and they and the writers guessed that's where those two characters would be headed).

I noticed that "Me and Camille" thing twice and whilst she didn't reject him, she still has a sense of distance - for now.

I don't know that they will advance much in the next two episodes (especially given the spoiler at the end for next week's eppy) but I do think Mrs Humph will appear at the end of the series as a plot device to push them together in another series (IF they pick it up again).

If the ratings stay steady, it could well be a fourth series development...

I don't think that Richard would have considered a relationship with a subordinate out of order... maybe perhaps when he first went to the island, but then the character obviously began to fit in more with the St Marie life than London.

I also think that had Richard stayed, and not been bumped off, that the first episode in this series would have been a really good starter for developing Richard/Camille further than series two.

I do hope they are not going to get Humph and Camille together, or to be honest even portray either one of them after the other one. We've seen it before with Richard, and to trot out a different version of it is just lazy script writing.

I can understand to some extent that Humph is after a new Mrs, and it would be interesting to see Camille find him a new woman, but that's the limit of it.

I wont be overly fussed or not if there is another series or not. Yes its watchable, but I am not glued to it anymore.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A series best overnight rating of 7.19m for DIP last night. I'm sure we can expect an announcemnet of a fourth series any day now.

:)
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I think they said he'd hitch a ride off one of his arms dealer buddies on their boat to Mexico but he wouldn't be going on a Thomson all inclusive packages any time soon!! Mexico for the rest of his days....or until he gets a fake passport.

They did yes, but if you are planning to flee through your handy gun runners and then set up a fake identity why would you need your passport? Do shady Mexican criminals demand to see your passport before issuing you with a fake one? :D

You would only need to take your passport with you if at some point in the the future you intended to officially prove who you were to the authorities or at a border checkpoint...thereby well and truly blowing your faked suicide out of the water. :D
  • sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    They did yes, but if you are planning to flee through your handy gun runners and then set up a fake identity why would you need your passport? Do shady Mexican criminals demand to see your passport before issuing you with a fake one? :D

You would only need to take your passport with you if at some point in the the future you intended to officially prove who you were to the authorities or at a border checkpoint...thereby well and truly blowing your faked suicide out of the water. :D

I wondered that, but my husband said he either wasn't thinking straight-and thought that if he used it in South America the authorities there might not know about his 'death' in St Marie. Alternatively, maybe he thought he could sell it at some point-there's quite a trade in fake/stolen passports and these sometimes use the identities of dead people (usually long dead people but even so...).

Although I still miss Richard Poole, I do like Humphrey Goodman. I can't see Humphrey and Camille as romantically involved (I think they'd make great best friends) I suspect that's the way the writers may take it, though. They could of course leave it as unrequited lust/love on Humphrey's part. At the moment, for Camille at least, I think it's too soon after losing Richard.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given his (overly) obvious infatuation with Camille, I’m wondering if the plan is for him to almost succeed in a relationship with her, before realizing that it’s a rebound after his wife left him, and they then settle to be become good friends?
    Forum Member
    Although I still miss Richard Poole, I do like Humphrey Goodman. I can't see Humphrey and Camille as romantically involved (I think they'd make great best friends) I suspect that's the way the writers may take it, though. They could of course leave it as unrequited lust/love on Humphrey's part. At the moment, for Camille at least, I think it's too soon after losing Richard.
    Given his (overly) obvious infatuation with Camille, I’m wondering if the plan is for him to almost succeed in a relationship with her, before realizing that it’s a rebound after his wife left him, and they then settle to be become good friends?

I can see those scenarios quite easily especially based on last night's eppy...
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or perhaps his wife will appear, wearing shorter shorts than Camille...:)
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Or perhaps his wife will appear, wearing shorter shorts than Camille...:)

Is that even fabrically possible?!
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was vary watching this new series, coz obviously no Richard and i liked him, and also like the whole Richard/Camille thing

But last week i finally watched the episodes till now, and i liked it, i think Humphrey has fitted in well.. and i think him and Camille are kinda equal in working together, then her and Richard were

And i do like Humphrey's crush lol... and how he was with her last nights episode, about her mother

Humphrey already said he found Camille beautiful even before his wife broke off with him...
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that even fabrically possible?!

I don't mind if they want to try... :D
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that Camille didn't throw herself at Humphrey like in the other episodes can be explain by her turmoil over her father. And Humphrey's interest in her as frienship for the same reason.
    Don't know if they'll keep Camille waving a flag at Humphrey to get notice as she did so clearly before.
    We'll see.
    But that should be secondary. They should concentrate on better plots. I hadn't thought about that but the fact the minister burried his bag instead of bringing it with him is not very logical.
    Also, when at the beginning, they discover that all three were in different part of the house and had seen nothing, not one of the investigators postulated they may be all acomplices in the murder. It didn't turn out to be that but i'm quit surprised they didn't consider it a possibility!
    It was not a locked room mystery since discovering later the minister was a gun smuggler is a complete game changer.

As mentionned before, it has to be a death.
    Too bad. There's a disapearance arch-story developping.
    Where's Harry?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty10 wrote: »
    Don't want to be picky, but don't they have forensics which can tell if someone has fired a gun recently?

I also wish it wasn't a murder every week. Don't detectives investigate other crimes too?

Why stop there, Midsomer (no-murders). For a start, as all the other crime, murder series, No, without a murder it would be boring,
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or possibly he might realise it's the mother he wants. She's very smart, and more attractive than Camille.

Or maybe it's just that she's nearer my age. :blush:
    ...............Also, when at the beginning, they discover that all three were in different part of the house and had seen nothing, not one of the investigators postulated they may be all acomplices in the murder. It didn't turn out to be that but i'm quit surprised they didn't consider it a possibility!....................

I think it would be more reasonable to wonder whether they were in a conspiracy if they'd said they were all together. Hence providing alibis for each other.
    ..............It was not a locked room mystery since discovering later the minister was a gun smuggler is a complete game changer.............

I can't remember whether or not the room was locked, but if it were then it was indeed a classic locked room mystery. With a much-used explanation.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did Marlon recognise Camille if he hasn't seen her since she was six.
    True.
    She was probably still trying to shake out all the biscuits that Mr Obvious spluttered over her.
    Ewwww wasn't that just nasty LOL! I would have told him where shove them biscuits since they weren't fitting in his mouth!!
    Always tickles me how many posters on this thread feel the urge to share with us the news that they 'guessed the killer straight away' - don't worry guys, your medal from the Queen is in the mail :)
    LOL! Personally I got it completely wrong, so no medal for me. :D
    Although I enjoyed the hour, I felt the plot was less contrived and planned than in previous episodes. Normally the way the plot is pieced together and explained is quite an eye opener, but this one was pretty straightforward IMO, I thought it would have a bit more 'twists and turns' in it. Still, loved the part in this episode where Camille and the two officers said something in patois, and Humphrey went to say the same thing but corrected himself before finishing! Well, it was a giggle for me!

Roll on next week's episode - I think Paul Barber's in it, it would be nice to see him after all this time (especially for an ex-Only Fools & Horses regular!).
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

I think it would be more reasonable to wonder whether they were in a conspiracy if they'd said they were all together. Hence providing alibis for each other.

I can't remember whether or not the room was locked, but if it were then it was indeed a classic locked room mystery. With a much-used explanation.

Agree with that. Still think it a bit weird it wasn't considered but you're right.

For the second point, perhaps i didn't use the expression properly. To me a locked room mystery doesn't have to have a locked door. I meant that the entire mystery could be solved with clues contained in the room were the crime took place. The fact the minister was a gun smuggler wasn't discovered using clues in the murder room (he had removed them). It is a big game changer for knowing what kind of man he was and what he's capable of. Character psychology is an important factor for making assumptions that leads to other clues and then to a real theory. For me, it changed my entire perception of the victim, therefore, imo, not a locked room mystery. According to my perhaps incorrect use of the expression 'locked room mystery'.

:)
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed in this episode as it seemed that all Camille's "short shorts" must have been in the wash.
    Forum Member
    I was disappointed in this episode as it seemed that all Camille's "short shorts" must have been in the wash.

Possibly just as well - Humphrey might have exploded in pent up frustration!
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly just as well - Humphrey might have exploded in pent up frustration!

Could it be that they had written all of the script for series three before BM quit, and have just altered them slightly to fit humph in, rather than re-writing everything?
  • sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »
    Could it be that they had written all of the script for series three before BM quit, and have just altered them slightly to fit humph in, rather than re-writing everything?

I wondered that. A few times, when Humphrey is speaking his lines, I thought that that was something that DI Poole would say. I even heard RP's/BM's voice in my head! Which means, I am hearing voices now...:o
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did Humph suss out the buried bag and know exactly where it was?