Options

Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• Options
    RobbomanRobboman Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    So I carefully avoid watching the trailer for Next Week and find you lot are all talking about it. Surely that's what Spoilers are for?

Yeah me too, I always avoid the "next time" on every programme I watch.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I carefully avoid watching the trailer for Next Week and find you lot are all talking about it. Surely that's what Spoilers are for?

Me too!

I wonder how many people rush for the remote control as the "next week" trailer starts!
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed this series, up until last night, thought it plodded along a bit. Can't enjoy them all I suppose:)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too!

I wonder how many people rush for the remote control as the "next week" trailer starts!

I try to avoid "next time" trailers for serials like Silent Witness (2-part stories) and The Wrong Mans. Not such a problem for a series.

This trailers make me think of Al Murray's stock question on his chat show to any guest with a film or TV drama to promote. "Tell us what it's about so we don't have to watch it." :D ( See also the soap pages in TV Times. 15 minutes of reading can save you from having to sit through seven and a half hours of dreary soap operas as they spell out the entire plot for the forthcoming week in minute detail.)
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oops. That was me, sorry.

I'd considered spoilers to be for situtions where someone knew something that wasn't in the public domain, and not just for stuff that someone had decided not to watch until later.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my OH adore this programme.

I think Kris is an excellent replacement, I actually prefer him now!

We love the Caribbean so the whole premise of the programme is a winner for us straightaway.

OH is in love with Camille, not that I blame him!

And yes, we have a competition, not so much 'who', as there are usually so few suspects, its hardly difficult most of time, but we like to guess 'why' and 'how' as early into the programme as possible.

I know, we need to get out more! :D
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just surprised none of you have reported near-coronaries when Camille (jokingly) suggested playing strip poker. ;)
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    I'm just surprised none of you have reported near-coronaries when Camille (jokingly) suggested playing strip poker. ;)

TBH, i didn't think it was a joke. I thought 'Camille finally sees Humphrey is looking at her in the way she wanted and she's going for it'.
    Of course, i expected something to happen to prevent them from doing it.

Then i thought ' they wouldn't do it in the middle of a case'. Not with the commisionner alone at the station taking the calls!
    Then she says 'it's a joke'.
    The brain goes very fast when there's talk of strip poker :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think it is hilarious that every week, just after the shocking discovery of a murdered body, the oh so jolly title music begins, breaking any tension they've managed to create?

Love the show anyway, this just makes me smile and dance in my sofa a little every time it happens. Oh no, a body... ta dah dee da da...
  • Options
    lindenlealindenlea Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone think it is hilarious that every week, just after the shocking discovery of a murdered body, the oh so jolly title music begins, breaking any tension they've managed to create?

Love the show anyway, this just makes me smile and dance in my sofa a little every time it happens. Oh no, a body... ta dah dee da da...

Yes. Every week. :D

My son and I watch the beginning .... Oh dear, horrible murder .... Yay! Jolly calypso ... Cue the sofa dancing. OH doesn't laugh as much as we do though. :blush:
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    lindenlea wrote: »

My son and I watch the beginning .... Oh dear, horrible murder .... Yay! Jolly calypso ... Cue the sofa dancing. OH doesn't laugh as much as we do though. :blush:

I found it most incongruous in Richard's episode... but yes... I am also guilty of jigging about during the opening credits! :blush: (Maybe not that one though!)
  • Options
    Twenty10Twenty10 Posts: 419
    Forum Member

That bit with the exercise machine was so telegraphed, it wasn't funny.

I find those slapstick parts embarrassing and almost amateur. Seem to get about one each episode now.

Apart from that the show's ok.
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Twenty10 wrote: »
    I find those slapstick parts embarrassing and almost amateur. Seem to get about one each episode now.

Strangely, it is the inept slapstick moments that endear the show to me - they really make me smile.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lindenlea wrote: »

Are you ready?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkVeXEShxm4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twenty10 wrote: »

Sallysally wrote: »
    Strangely, it is the inept slapstick moments that endear the show to me - they really make me smile.

I'm middle ground; i like them but there are some that don't work, like the exercise machine (so unoriginal and you could see it coming from miles away). That one was the second worst, after falling out of a window in the first ep. of this season. But many others made me laugh.

As for the dancing on the couch, i thought i was alone since i asked that question a few weeks back and nobody answered. So glad it was just a case of it slipping by; i felt a bit guilty of rejoicing the death of someone, even if just fiction :)
    Now i know i'm not the only dancing viewer :)
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those of you who missed the little green guy this week, here's how Harry the Lizard broke the hammock!:)

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/standard.aspx?slug=2014-02-11%2Fdeath-in-paradise-meet-harry-the-lizard
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good thing with Ben Miller was that he gave you the impression that he was the kind of character who was smart enough beneath the quirkiness to find the solutions he did. The huge flaw with his successor is that he never gives you the sense that there's anything going on in his head at all. He's just a buffoon who suddenly gets a bit of dialogue that tells you what happened. It's not as if his character has actually been thinking. That's what really spoils it for me. It's just:

1) a death
    2) about 40 minutes of larking about
    3) 'Kris' recites a bit of script that reveals the culprit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those of you who missed the little green guy this week, here's how Harry the Lizard broke the hammock!:)

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/standard.aspx?slug=2014-02-11%2Fdeath-in-paradise-meet-harry-the-lizard

'It turns out Harry isn't actually real.'

Did anyone actually thought otherwise?
    I spotted that in the very first show (i do CGI but i was not alone to see it).

Having said that, it was very interesting, thank you :)
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    S3E4- air hostess one - lots of back and forth with times so probably YES

I'd say that one was a NO.

The plan never required misleading people over the time of death, that was never in doubt (after her lover left her room, but before she was found in the morning).

Instead it relied on the murderer having a cast iron alibi (being at 10,000 feet) at the time of death.

The only misleading about time was removing the room key first thing in the morning to give the impression it had actually gone missing sometime during the night (i.e. at the time of the murder).

:D
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anybody noticed a slight change in style with the direction? More conversations in the car with Camille & Humphrey and more flashbacks during the programme of conversations characters had.

Does it feel slightly different or is it just me?
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'It turns out Harry isn't actually real.'

Did anyone actually thought otherwise?
    I spotted that in the very first show (i do CGI but i was not alone to see it).

Having said that, it was very interesting, thank you :)

Yes, but I think it's better to imagine the real Harry having a stunt double to do his scenes where he jumps out of the way as Humphrey falls towards him. Either that or a pet shop full of replacement Harrys for when one gets squished.
  • Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good thing with Ben Miller was that he gave you the impression that he was the kind of character who was smart enough beneath the quirkiness to find the solutions he did. The huge flaw with his successor is that he never gives you the sense that there's anything going on in his head at all. He's just a buffoon who suddenly gets a bit of dialogue that tells you what happened. It's not as if his character has actually been thinking. That's what really spoils it for me. It's just:

1) a death
    2) about 40 minutes of larking about
    3) 'Kris' recites a bit of script that reveals the culprit.

Agree with this I'm afraid. I've only just seen the air hostess episode, and I miss Richards DIY forensics. It's still watchable but it's no longer on my must see list. Series one and two I was hooked on, I'm not on this one
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I miss Richard's mad activities with chemistry kits and things ordered off the web, Harry watching him as he toils through the night to get something to happen under a plastic shroud.

This series, though, allows the others to contribute to the investigation. It's more of a team effort than a stand-back-and-gasp-at-the-end one. Which is good, although I feel Kris Marshall is a touch wooden in his delivery of lines. I wonder if he's playing posher than he naturally is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »
    Agree with this I'm afraid. I've only just seen the air hostess episode, and I miss Richards DIY forensics. It's still watchable but it's no longer on my must see list. Series one and two I was hooked on, I'm not on this one

There was DIY forensics this week with the cocoa powder to get finger prints and comparing bullets.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More opportunities for you to enjoy the show/miss Richard/hate Humphrey etc. :p

"@BBCOne: Fans of #DeathInParadise will be pleased to hear that the show will be definitely be returning for a fourth series."