Options

Caroline Aherne diagnosed with lung cancer

BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27389409

I really like her but I have lost three members of my family to lung cancer and the prognosis is usually not good.

Best wishes Caroline Aherne. xx

Comments

• Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really like her but I have lost three members of my family to lung cancer and the prognosis is usually not good.

You may have missed it BritFlicks, but there is a thread where posters have since posted well wishes and thoughts regarding this already in progress!
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also lost too many family and friends to cancer. None to lung cancer but I know it's not good.

Best wishes to Caroline and to all suffering from and otherwise affected by this dreadful condition.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You may have missed it BritFlicks, but there is a thread where posters have since posted well wishes and thoughts regarding this already in progress!

I just realised that. Thanks.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Hope she gets well soon, but like others have said the survival rates are not good for Lung Cancer, something like 10% survive for 5 years which is really low, lets hope Caroline Aherne is one of the lucky one's.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just realised that. Thanks.

No worries. I wasn't having a go, just thought it nicer to have these messages all in one place. x
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor woman. She's had her fair share of problems in her life. Hope she gets better.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Aww no! I think she's such a talent & has undergone enough - I do wish her well ASAP as I know most of my Mother's side have undergone cancer/treatment.
    Keep going and keep well CA!:)
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admire for her carrying on working,I wonder if she was really bad during the Last run of Gogglebox, when Craig took over.

Hoping as she has done this series, she is over the worst of it, quite surprised the Gogglebox Thread, hasnt been busy,
  • Options
    ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare I even suggest a lot of her life's problems are her own doing. Heavy drinker which probably contributed to the end of her marriage to Peter Hook. She's a smoker, so the danger of lung cancer is always there. Wish her well.
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Dare I even suggest a lot of her life's problems are her own doing. Heavy drinker which probably contributed to the end of her marriage to Peter Hook. She's a smoker, so the danger of lung cancer is always there. Wish her well.

Are you related to the other poster who wrote something similar and mean minded on the other thread ??
    Not only are your comments tasteless but unless you personally know her (which I do incidentally )
    What gives you the right to speculate ??
  • Options
    Par6Par6 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I think it's widely documented that yes, she is/was a heavy drinker and that yes, she is a smoker, mean minded ? Tasteless ? Speculation ?...... No its the truth! I fail to see what mikebuk said that was so wrong ?
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member

How can you even begin to possibly surmise that?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've said in one of the other threads, she was born with eye cancer. Her brother has been similarly affected. Her subsequent bladder cancer and lung cancer are believed to be connected. She could have lived like a nun and still be in this position.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Im not suprised she used to smoke no end in The Royale Family.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    How can you even begin to possibly surmise that?
    Some folk need nothing at all to surmise - they have nothing else better to do than speculate how people live their lives behind closed doors. I think many of us would be in for a big surprise if we really knew what happened behind some closed doors.

I wish Caroline the very,very best - she has brought me laughter many times over the years _ they say laughter is the best medicine so I hope Caroline is self medicating.
    xx

GORTONIAN, - if you see her please will you tell her there are lots of people who wish her well
  • Options
    ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news. I hope she beats this. Sadly I lost my Mum to lung cancer over a year a go. My Mum never smoked, no doubt if she had that would have been blamed for it.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that's the operative word.

Otherwise it's just nasty supposition and vicious rumour.

Unless you know them both intimately?

Perhaps you know if he has/had a drinking problem or not?

Perhaps you were privy to the daily minutaie of their marriage and know for a fact that her drinking problem (which could be attributed to all sorts of factors) was PROBABLY the sole cause of their marriage breakdown?

C'mon - don't be shy - tell us!

Nice - but ultimately disingenuous - to wish her well after such mean spirited, pious and ultimately unfounded words.

Hope it's not *too* chilly up there on the moral high ground.
  • Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why some smokers take offence when it's mentioned that their lung cancer may be due to smoking.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    I wonder why some smokers take offence when it's mentioned that their lung cancer may be due to smoking.

I'm not a smoker.

But I get tired of the moralising.

What about people that regularly sky dive and become paralysed?
    People that sunbathe and get skin cancer?
    Women that have a high number of sexual partners and get cervical cancer?
    Drinkers that get liver cirrhosis

etc. etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »

Because all smokers are ignorant!

All they care about is their puff and they dont give a s**t about people around them breathing it in.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Caroline has had very rough time over the years. Instead of making unsubstantiated speculation about her divorce, the backyard janglers should appreciate her brilliant writing, characterisation and acting which have given pleasure to millions over the years. If this horrible disease hasn't touched them, then Im pleased for them. However for most of us who have, like me, lost a young Dad and brother to it, our hearts and prayers go out to her. God bless girl.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Best of Irish to Caroline Aherne, one of Britain's top comedy writers and comedy actresses.
    I'll be a bit more than annoyed if she doesn't beat it (ie, devastated)
    Her body of work is top notch.

Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat, a Chearúilín!
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wished her well, or did you miss that bit. I would have thought it was common knowledge that she liked her vices. Why do so many people take offence on others' behalf ?
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Blueju wrote: »
    Poor Caroline has had very rough time over the years. Instead of making unsubstantiated speculation about her divorce, the backyard janglers should appreciate her brilliant writing, characterisation and acting which have given pleasure to millions over the years. If this horrible disease hasn't touched them, then Im pleased for them. However for most of us who have, like me, lost a young Dad and brother to it, our hearts and prayers go out to her. God bless girl.

And god bless you as well
    We lost my mum eight years ago to it and totally empathise with what you and the other posters who agreed with my comments about what this poster and the one on the showbiz thread have said
    I hope with all my heart they never endure what my mum did xxxx