Episodes – BBC2 – Mondays 10pm

Comments

• mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, it's been a series too many, they should have quit while they were ahead.
    I like all the actors individually and there is still the odd gem to be found in the dialogue..mostly from Matt. But they seem to be really struggling to find any kind of storyline, it's become very dull.

Yes. A series too far, I'm afraid. I said towards the top of this page that I was enjoying the Castor Sotto character. I'm such a poor judge. Can they really not find him anything better to do than masturbate the programme away? Do they really think that's clever comedy?

A spin-off based around Carol, maybe? Perhaps involving Matt, but not romantically? But the rest of the characters can go hang, I'm afraid, along with the writers

I suppose I'll keep watching to the end, but it's all rather sad.
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's weird but it's actually become like the fictional comedy (Pucks) and the lazy TV writing it was trying to lampoon!

Another poor character they've done nothing with in three series is the 'Head of Comedy' who does nothing but croak and pull a silly face every episode. It was mildly amusing in the first episode of series 1 (the head of comedy doesn't have a sense of humour haha) but to repeat the joke in every episode since is ludicrous. Why not develop the character? The actress is actually pretty good and has done a lot of comedy in UK sketch shows.

Like many, I'm still watching because I like Tamsin Greig, Stephen Mangan and Matt LeBlanc. There's enough to amuse me in each episode to make it worth watching but it could be so much better.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's probably supposed to be a satire of the TV industry, getting in some young hipster when there was a perfectly suitable person there to take over but atleast with Merc we saw some work.

The new guy has nothing to add to the show, which is about Pucks. He wanted to cancel it and Carol stopped that but that was it. What's his involvment supposed to be now?
  • plopoplopo Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I hate to be critical as I've watched it from the start - but Episodes just isn't funny this time round – I can't think of anything that made me laugh in the last couple of episodes, not even a smile – it was just lame and unfunny, in fact cringe worthy with the tugging off – what was that all about!

What is going on – one of the co-writers is from Friends – one I the cleverest written TV comedy series of modern time IMO – this is drivel - sorry!

I wonder if at the read through there were people clapping and fake laughing at the script, who were just not brave enough to tell them - it's not very good!

I like the concept – I think the Matt character is just genius – I like the behind the scenes stuff, but this season is maybe just too in! Lets hope the writers read this board and take note! They could even included it in the next season lol!
    Forum Member
    ^ I think Le Blanc has been the only funny character this series.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    I thought series one (and maybe two) were filmed at Ealing Studios . Stephen Mangan said on POG show that filming took place in Wimbledon. Maybe he was being ironic. Nothing looks like West London to me.

Nearly all of the interior scenes are recorded in the UK. I know quite a bit of series three was recorded at The Wimbledon Studios (previously known as the TalkBack Thames Studios where The Bill was made). Then they shoot most of the exterior scenes on location in Hollywood. I think its 90% recorded in the UK, and 10% in the US from what I remember.
  • RollerbabeRollerbabe Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Last night there were some great laugh out loud moments - cringing at the therapist sessions, and laughed at the paintings returned at the end. I agree Matt Leblanc is the best thing about this, but I still find it very enjoyable to watch.
  • Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rollerbabe wrote: »
    Last night there were some great laugh out loud moments - cringing at the therapist sessions, and laughed at the paintings returned at the end. I agree Matt Leblanc is the best thing about this, but I still find it very enjoyable to watch.
    I agree, I think this episode is a return to their previous heights.

Loved the scenes with the Therapist and the Yoda sequence ,it managed to be funny and really touching at the same time (well not the Yoda bit :D)
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another poor character they've done nothing with in three series is the 'Head of Comedy' who does nothing but croak and pull a silly face every episode. It was mildly amusing in the first episode of series 1 (the head of comedy doesn't have a sense of humour haha) but to repeat the joke in every episode since is ludicrous. Why not develop the character? The actress is actually pretty good and has done a lot of comedy in UK sketch shows.

Couldn't agree more. An absolutely criminal waste of Daisy Haggard. Unforgivable. Especially when they get in a crappy new character - the new Head of Studio.

Re. the latest episode, I liked Merc's line to Le Blanc ("You bastard! Did you have to tell her about the paintings?!") LOL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. An absolutely criminal waste of Daisy Haggard. Unforgivable. Especially when they get in a crappy new character - the new Head of Studio.
    Yes, It seems bizarre she's fantastic in 'Uncle' although it probably helps that she looks hot in that ;-)
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really ? I thought it was awful. I dont mind crude if it's funny-crude, but that was just purile nonsense in my opinion. New boss (one of the worst comedy characters I've ever seen) gets a raging erection from watching some guy sucking a straw. Interview with a sex therapist and a talking vagina joke (which could have been funny if the writing was better). I felt embarrassed for Stephen and Tamsin..both fine comedy actors, they deserved better.
    Matt had a few decent lines, and the return of the paintings at the end was quite funny. But where's all the smart dialogue and witty one-liners we used have in the earlier series ?
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New boss (one of the worst comedy characters I've ever seen) gets a raging erection from watching some guy sucking a straw. ?

Agreed. One of the most pitifully unfunny scenes in any Sitcom I've ever seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really ? I thought it was awful. I dont mind crude if it's funny-crude, but that was just purile nonsense in my opinion. New boss (one of the worst comedy characters I've ever seen) gets a raging erection from watching some guy sucking a straw.
    I'm in agreement about the boss, I had to fast forward that because I just thought it was ridiculous, and not in the Seinfeld "The Opposite" funny type.
    Forum Member
    Rollerbabe wrote: »
    Yep th painting thing was funny. Shame about the rest of it.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stone Free wrote: »
    Yes, It seems bizarre she's fantastic in 'Uncle' although it probably helps that she looks hot in that ;-)

Thought she was the Mum in Uncle!

And I agree that the sex therapist scene was cringey to say the least
    Forum Member
    She is the mum in Uncle. Mum's can't look hot?
  • rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not watching anymore because I wasn't blown away by series 1 (I think it was that that I saw rather than series 2) - just didn't grab me as that amusing. I don't watch crappy BBC1 comedies like Miranda either though, just to be clear.

Thanks for letting us know youre NOT watching it I will sleep better tonight
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Yoda vagina was hilarious and the switch from funny to serious as Sean spoke about trust well handled.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's episode had the c word in it. I think it's the first time I've ever heard the c word comparatively early on in the evening. Well, before 10 30 pm mark. Not sure the c word was necessary. I suppose if you say these words enough times they lose their shock value but I think the show would be just as funny or unfunny (if you don't think it is funny) without the constant swearing. Oh well.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear this show is 15 minutes long. I start watching it, laugh a lot and then 15 minutes later it`s over. How do they consistently make 30 mins feel like 15? No other show does it.....
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Tonight's episode had the c word in it. I think it's the first time I've ever heard the c word comparatively early on in the evening. Well, before 10 30 pm mark. Not sure the c word was necessary. I suppose if you say these words enough times they lose their shock value but I think the show would be just as funny or unfunny (if you don't think it is funny) without the constant swearing. Oh well.

What 10:30 mark? There's only 2 watersheds, 9pm and 10pm?

Bit over dramatic
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Made me laugh. It's the unexpected. Sean is a nice bloke and the assistant is frustratingly useless. Matts comment that "we are ploughing our way through that family" had me howling with laughter.
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Made me laugh. It's the unexpected. Sean is a nice bloke and the assistant is frustratingly useless. Matts comment that "we are ploughing our way through that family" had me howling with laughter.
    That's the same quote I was going to post :D
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does everyone think that Andrew Lesley's wonderful pilot script is going to turn out to be that old script of Sean and Beverley's that Eileen was asking for a copy of?
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    Does everyone think that Andrew Lesley's wonderful pilot script is going to turn out to be that old script of Sean and Beverley's that Eileen was asking for a copy of?
    Good point.
    It would make a good ending to the series.
    Episodes already has a season 4 doesn't it?
    It could be them working on the old script with Matt getting his dream role.