the country is the Netherlands

Comments

• cas116cas116 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Very good and detailed but concise explanation of the situation:

The difference between Holland and The Netherlands

That is fantastic, thanks for posting :)

It makes Great Britain/United Kingdom seem so simple!

Many moons ago I lived in Rotterdam for a year and ever since have always had a soft spot for anything Dutch related.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as your name is 'Anne', do you think you could manage a 'Eh-eh-ehhhhhhh!' while you wipe? ;-)

Eh eh ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Lifts me nightie and flashes me genitals :o
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of Dutch people actually say Holland when talking English, and several other languages use a variant of Holland instead of Netherlands. I don't think it's the same as saying England instead of UK. It's just it has two names in English.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Eh eh ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Lifts me nightie and flashes me genitals :o

:o

Lol! :D
  • cas116cas116 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas116 wrote: »

Many moons ago I lived in Rotterdam for a year and ever since have always had a soft spot for anything Dutch related.

BIB - OK i've just watched the GB/UK one and I take back what I said - brain officially mashed!
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB - OK i've just watched the GB/UK one and I take back what I said - brain officially mashed!

Haha :D

Yeah, I think things are just a little simpler in The Netherlands..
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    sej17 wrote: »
    I love the Netherlands.

So do I. Lovely people. Mind you, it's been many years since I was last there.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netherlands is a wonderful country, very quirky place indeed. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I like it too. I went up the hill once.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the Netherlands the "low" lands meaning all that "area" of low countries near each other Holland, Belgium etc but Holland itself is actually a country in its own right?

I don't know this for sure, just some foggy memory of reading this somewhere.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    Isn't the Netherlands the "low" lands meaning all that area of low countries near each other Holland, Belgium etc but Holland is actually a country in its own right?

I refer you to post #43
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the Netherlands the "low" lands meaning all that area of low countries near each other Holland, Belgium etc but Holland is actually a country in its own right?

Shoot your geography teacher.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh get a life.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just shows what misinformation you can pick up.

I wish that YouTube guy had been my Geography teacher (on post 43), lol.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    A lot of Dutch people actually say Holland when talking English, and several other languages use a variant of Holland instead of Netherlands. I don't think it's the same as saying England instead of UK. It's just it has two names in English.

No, Holland is a province within the Netherlands, just like Friesland, Gelderland and Zeeland are etc.

Holland (both north and south) is the most populous province, and the most well-known cities of the Netherlands are found there e.g. Amsterdam, Haarlem and the Hague.

Perhaps Dutch people sometimes say Holland when speaking English as they know this is the common (but mistaken) name for the country in English.
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Well as they speak Dutch there and we are speaking English we can use any English names we want. Do the Germans insist we call Germany Deutschland, or Spain Espana, Russia Rossia or South Korea DeHanMinGuk? What difference does it make if we call Nederland Holland? When referring to the UK do the Dutch use United Kingdom? Or do they use Verenigd Koninkrijk?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »
    not Holland, Holland is a province in the Netherlands....so that's sorted, no one will call the Netherlands,Holland any more.

I'm pretty sure some Americans will... Probably confuse Austria and Australia too :D
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, this is rubbish. He's called "Netherlands' Monster". "Netherlands" was the name of the scientist who created him. Jesus, how many times...?
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch this old clip of The DJ Kat Show on SKY were Linda de Mol is asking viewers to send in their mail, and address she gives is Holland.
    Forum Member
    Well as they speak Dutch there and we are speaking English we can use any English names we want. Do the Germans insist we call Germany Deutschland, or Spain Espana, Russia Rossia or South Korea DeHanMinGuk? What difference does it make if we call Nederland Holland? When referring to the UK do the Dutch use United Kingdom? Or do they use Verenigd Koninkrijk?

Not the same though is it. We have a word for Nederland, it's the Netherlands.

They are probably as guilty in that they often call the UK 'Engeland', even the bits that aren't in England.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    No, Holland is a province within the Netherlands, just like Friesland, Gelderland and Zeeland are etc.

Holland (both north and south) is the most populous province, and the most well-known cities of the Netherlands are found there e.g. Amsterdam, Haarlem and the Hague.

Perhaps Dutch people sometimes say Holland when speaking English as they know this is the common (but mistaken) name for the country in English.

Yes, as far as English-speaking people are concerned, Holland is just an informal term for the Netherlands.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone told Peter Pan about this yet?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the Netherlands the "low" lands meaning all that "area" of low countries near each other Holland, Belgium etc but Holland itself is actually a country in its own right?

The word you are looking for is Benelux
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The word you are looking for is Benelux

Directly translated the word Niederlände means the low lands.
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Directly translated the word Niederlände means the low lands.

Some good Germanic clarity there!

I like what Queen Beatrix said in one of her speeches: "God made the world, but man made the Netherlands".

Quite true considering how much of the country has been reclaimed from the sea.