Options

ALDI - Good and bad

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    They're the new trend for burgers, even in chain pubs.

Well I have got some rolls and burgers from Aldi and I will try it tomorrow,, not sure about it to be honest mind you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    [/B]
    Maybe that's because they have everything they need?

Maybe so, but choice is still limited. It is ok for basic stuff I suppose.

Take Squash for instance, I see in Aldi, Orange and maybe blackcurrant. that is about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I tried the brioche burger buns and they were good although ot as good as the M&S ones. The Aldi buns were a little less substantial and squished a bit more when I put the burger and toppings on.

99p for 4 compared to 99p for 2 from M&S.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrovegni wrote: »
    Well I tried the brioche burger buns and they were good although ot as good as the M&S ones. The Aldi buns were a little less substantial and squished a bit more when I put the burger and toppings on.

99p for 4 compared to 99p for 2 from M&S.

You sometimes pay more for better quality. the thing i am worried about is a sweet brioche with a burger, seems a bit strange. but I will give it a go tomorrow.

As for quality i got a beef and onion slice from Aldi a few days back, 99p for two compared to Sainsbury's £1.80 for two. No comparison, first of all no mention on the Aldis one where the meat is from, if it is British or not and secondly the pastry was soggy and the meat was bland. I know a minced beef and onion slice is not going to be great quality meat, but the Sainsbury's was better and worth paying the extra 80p for.
    if money was a real issue then I would buy the Aldi one at a push.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brioche burger buns aren't as sweet as actual brioche, it's more about the texture compared to that of a regular white bread bun. I'll be interested to know how you find them.

Next thing I'm going to try is making my own.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    You got to shop around, but some people do go too far. i remember a few years back someone going Tescos for a couple of things, then going to Safeway and then maybe going to another store. they said they saved money, but I think they wasted more on petrol.

Sainsburys sell coconut oil, but it is expensive, about £6 for a small jar, and they sell Tahini, both in special selection

I agree, if people are using petrol to go from place to place to place it's probably not saving them much money in the end. As we walk I don't have that factor to account for. :)

I'm not sure we have a Sainsbury's in Blackpool. If we do it must be a fair distance as I've never seen it and I do a lot of walking. I'll get my husband to check out online prices and then go to Booth's for a comparison. It might end up being something I can't really afford, we'll see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrovegni wrote: »
    Brioche burger buns aren't as sweet as actual brioche, it's more about the texture compared to that of a regular white bread bun. I'll be interested to know how you find them.

Oh right, I still not tried it, i had dinner out, so not cooking tonight.
    Next thing I'm going to try is making my own.

I have made Brioche bread before now, but not for a long time.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I do not see how anyone can get all they want from these cheap shops? They do not have the variety, yet I see people with a trolley load of stuff

I do my shopping at different places, the only place I don't go to is Asda, because
    (a) it is too far away
    (b) I hate our Asda and not fond of Asda as a company either.

I shop at Iceland, Aldis for a few things, Sainsburys, Morrisons for a couple of things, I love their own baked sausage rolls. Iceland for a lot of my frozen stuff. I go to Tesco once in a blue moon, for some reason if I stay in their store for more than half a hour it makes me ill.

Farmfoods is another one I use once in a blue moon, i normally get stuff from there if I am down that way as it is on the other side of the town, just below where Asda is.

We got a home bargain now and that is cheap for some food. Because i don't drive and it is only a 10 min walk from my house, i got myself a shopping trolley and I am going to pop in there and get a a load of stuff.
    If it saves me money i do not care what people say about the trolley, but at least it is black.

We use Aldi for cheapness its 7 miles from where we live. We rarely use the two Co Ops in our village (one used to be Somerfield which was obv bought out by Co Op so we have two, pointless really) and they are way too expensive! the stuff on offer is not usually the stuff we eat. We even got all our xmas shopping at Aldi's the past few years, I think if people actually try it there is a lot you can get there :) the brands are pretty much the same any way and when you taste certain things you cant really tell the difference I kid you not! we live on a budget and manage to get a hell of a lot for £40 for a weeks shopping yet if we went to Tescos or anywhere else it'd be nearly £100 a week! silly money! so we really do manage very well, guess it just depends on life styles and what people like.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sainsburys sell coconut oil, but it is expensive, about £6 for a small jar, and they sell Tahini, both in special selection

I popped into Booths today while I was out for a walk, they sell coconut oil but it's pretty pricey. £6.99 for 283 ml or £9.99 for 500 ml. Online prices, even with delivery, are much better. I'll probably get my husband to order some this week.:)
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I popped into Booths today while I was out for a walk, they sell coconut oil but it's pretty pricey. £6.99 for 283 ml or £9.99 for 500 ml. Online prices, even with delivery, are much better. I'll probably get my husband to order some this week.:)

You can get Biona organic virgin cold pressed coconut oil on Amazon. Love it.
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a couple of weeks they are going to build a new Aldi (Nord) at the spot where they build one just 10 years ago, a 3 minute walk from my home.
    It's going to be one of the New Concept stores. A bakery will be included, just like in some Lidl stores. Do they have bakeries in Aldi stores in Britain. If so, are they any good?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    We use Aldi for cheapness its 7 miles from where we live. We rarely use the two Co Ops in our village (one used to be Somerfield which was obv bought out by Co Op so we have two, pointless really) and they are way too expensive! the stuff on offer is not usually the stuff we eat. We even got all our xmas shopping at Aldi's the past few years, I think if people actually try it there is a lot you can get there :) the brands are pretty much the same any way and when you taste certain things you cant really tell the difference I kid you not! we live on a budget and manage to get a hell of a lot for £40 for a weeks shopping yet if we went to Tescos or anywhere else it'd be nearly £100 a week! silly money! so we really do manage very well, guess it just depends on life styles and what people like.

I know some people got to watch their budget, I am one of them. But i will not buy just because it is cheaper.

My shopping in Aldis normally consist of their butter as it is cheap and not bad, saying that Iceland butter is nicer and only a couple of pence more, so I am starting to get that now.

Part baked rolls and baguettes as they are good.
    Their ground coffee for the percolator, it is fine for that but I would not use it in the espresso machine.
    Their raspberry ripple ice cream, while it is not what I would call cheap, it does taste ok and we for some strange reason don't sell it at work.
    Their Aberdeen Angus burgers, they are ok, I buy them now and again, but prefer the ones from the butchers.
    Something I have tried at my mates place a couple of days back and I got yesterday was a bottle of their St clemants drink. Not as fizzy as some and a nice taste and cheap.

that is normally all I get from aldis, I got some of their more expensive sausages a couple of days back to put into a roll, never again, I tried their cheap ones and i tried the more expensive ones. i will stick to the butchers or Sainsburys Irish pork and beef.

I am amazed of the type of people that goes into Aldis, people with Audis and BMW's. Maybe that is how they can afford to keep those cars on the road.

My main coffee comes from Ross on Wye, I don't mind paying extra for decent coffee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Online prices normally are, it is just if you can be bothered to wait.
    I get my coffee online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    breppo wrote: »
    In a couple of weeks they are going to build a new Aldi (Nord) at the spot where they build one just 10 years ago, a 3 minute walk from my home.
    It's going to be one of the New Concept stores. A bakery will be included, just like in some Lidl stores. Do they have bakeries in Aldi stores in Britain. If so, are they any good?

They just done our Aldis up, expanded it, but no bakery. i expect they will follow Lidls in that the bread will be delivered frozen. Nothing wrong with that, the bread our Lidls sell is pretty good from the couple of time i tried it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They just done our Aldis up, expanded it, but no bakery. i expect they will follow Lidls in that the bread will be delivered frozen. Nothing wrong with that, the bread our Lidls sell is pretty good from the couple of time i tried it.

I spoke to the manager of the temporary store they set up on an industrial estate. Alas, no bakery. It's going to be a wall of baguettes, rolls, baps, buns etc like Lidl, but without in-store baking. But al least it's a step up from what they had... nothing apart from loafs in a dozen varieties.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    They had put forward plans to open a huge aldi in the town next to me but apparently Tesco and Asda put their foot down and its been scrapped :( The current aldi in Milton Keynes is far too small considering how popular it is. People are actually deciding not to go any more because of how crowded it is.

Sorry, slight OT but its really annoyed me >:(
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had put forward plans to open a huge aldi in the town next to me but apparently Tesco and Asda put their foot down and its been scrapped :( The current aldi in Milton Keynes is far too small considering how popular it is. People are actually deciding not to go any more because of how crowded it is.

I've walked out of my local one, a few times, as the queues were just too long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've walked out of my local one, a few times, as the queues were just too long.

I don't have a problem with queues (which I know makes me a rare one) but I get why people do. The worst thing for me is when it's just over crowded in the aisles and they're restocking the shelves so you've got the dollies and those gigantic boxes everywhere. It's not going to stop me going to aldi but I get why some people have given up.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know some people got to watch their budget, I am one of them. But i will not buy just because it is cheaper.

My shopping in Aldis normally consist of their butter as it is cheap and not bad, saying that Iceland butter is nicer and only a couple of pence more, so I am starting to get that now.

Part baked rolls and baguettes as they are good.
    Their ground coffee for the percolator, it is fine for that but I would not use it in the espresso machine.
    Their raspberry ripple ice cream, while it is not what I would call cheap, it does taste ok and we for some strange reason don't sell it at work.
    Their Aberdeen Angus burgers, they are ok, I buy them now and again, but prefer the ones from the butchers.
    Something I have tried at my mates place a couple of days back and I got yesterday was a bottle of their St clemants drink. Not as fizzy as some and a nice taste and cheap.

that is normally all I get from aldis, I got some of their more expensive sausages a couple of days back to put into a roll, never again, I tried their cheap ones and i tried the more expensive ones. i will stick to the butchers or Sainsburys Irish pork and beef.

I am amazed of the type of people that goes into Aldis, people with Audis and BMW's. Maybe that is how they can afford to keep those cars on the road.

My main coffee comes from Ross on Wye, I don't mind paying extra for decent coffee.

Why are you amazed? I love Aldi, its round the corner and the quality of food, in my opinion is so much better than the other big supermarkets. I wouldnt buy food just because its cheap. The other local supermarket is Waitrose and the few thing I have bought from there recently have been rubbish.

Audi all the way for me, sorry I mean Aldi ;-)
  • Options
    roniandfredroniandfred Posts: 33
    Forum Member

Are you sure it's been scrapped, on Friday I was told by a local counsellor thT the decision had nit been made yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you sure it's been scrapped, on Friday I was told by a local counsellor thT the decision had nit been made yet.

:o Hopefully the person who told me was wrong. An aldi in Wolverton would be perfect for me :D
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    breppo wrote: »

Where do you live? We have Aldi Nord in Spain and they are no way near as good as Aldi in UK - which are owned by the other Aldi brother.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew about the split in the company. I wonder if the Twix advert was based on this knowledge?!
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

Why they split the company.

The logo on the left with a white background is the one that operates in Spain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Where do you live? We have Aldi Nord in Spain and they are no way near as good as Aldi in UK - which are owned by the other Aldi brother.

Netherlands, therefore also Aldi-Nord. Nord stores have always been a lot more "downmarket" than the Süd stores. But they are changing that with their New Concept stores. The store in my neighbourhood is going to be one of the first NC stores in the Netherlands. Almost double the size and more fresh produce.