Options

Can I leave my French doors open whilst I'm at work...

gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm a divorced dad and work full time, monday till wednesday the house is empty whilst I work, the kids scone on Thursday but that's another thread..

Question is it's very hot ant the moment and I worry about my furniture I'm the conservatory which is not the old fashioned wicker type, I have a wood table and chairs and a leather 2 seat couch..

Can I leave the French doors open all day as long as the conservatory door is locked, it's a regular upvc door with a security lock...

I've been leaving the sash window open but the heat is ridiculous

Comments

• Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check it won't invalidate your insurance if you are burgled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't want to get robbed, I've a food alarm but the fact there was two sets of doors to get through was comforting

Not that it's a bad area, it's not, it's just everyone works and it's quiet in the day

New build estates can be targeted
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A burglar can spend all the time he needs at your inner door,, as he/she will be hidden from sight, not that anyone would bother looking anyway.
    I would advise against it.
  • Options
    scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't.

Do you have blinds or curtains you can leave closed to keep the direct sun light out.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scott789s wrote: »
    I wouldn't.

Do you have blinds or curtains you can leave closed to keep the direct sun light out.

Same here. I think the idea of some sort of blinds is the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have blinds all round but it's still roasting...I've decided to lock them and leave the sash open
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It will invalidate your insurance is the simple answer.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During spells of hot weather I find an oscillating fan very good. I keep it on 24 hours a day and it really keeps the place cool.

Start it while it's cool though, such as early morning, otherwise it just blows hot air around.
  • Options
    debidebi Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a divorced dad and work full time, monday till wednesday the house is empty whilst I work, the kids scone on Thursday but that's another thread..

Question is it's very hot ant the moment and I worry about my furniture I'm the conservatory which is not the old fashioned wicker type, I have a wood table and chairs and a leather 2 seat couch..

Can I leave the French doors open all day as long as the conservatory door is locked, it's a regular upvc door with a security lock...

I've been leaving the sash window open but the heat is ridiculous

I wouldn't even leave a sash window open, even that may invalidate your insurance. A row of houses all locked up and one with a window or french doors open? You may as well stick an advert on the door to any passing bored burglars. Sorry to be so blunt but to be honest I would rather risk damaging the furniture rather than losing it! Good luck and hope you keep cool , we have another couple of weeks of this left!
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try having a couple of decoy measures in full view at the front of your house. A fake CCTV camera, a dog sticker on your front door, plus a (real) burglar alarm, all help to deter opportunistic and career crooks.

That said, would leaving you door open help? I mean, if the rear of your house is sheltered from the wind, would there even be much of a noticeable draught coming through your conservatory?
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying the French doors are between the house and the conservatory? And that the conservatory itself has proper locked doors? Then yes of course you can, that shouldn't effect anything?
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or just buy new furniture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    Are you saying the French doors are between the house and the conservatory? And that the conservatory itself has proper locked doors? Then yes of course you can, that shouldn't effect anything?

That is correct,
  • Options
    collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fit one of these. I've had one for about 5 years in a south facing conservatory and it works a treat.

Won't stop your furniture being faded by uv though.
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    As soon as you get in from work just turn the air conditioning on, problem solved.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    You can leave your front door open too.

Just dont expect your stuff to be there when you get home
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't it make your house inside hotter if the air from the conservatory can get through there? Just get some reflective car cover thingys to protect the furniture.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on where you live, we can go to bed or go shopping and leave house unlocked, the locking system on car packed up a year ago and nobody has touched it. I think you're right about insurers though they would wriggle out of out of paying at the slightest excuse.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    Depends on where you live, we can go to bed or go shopping and leave house unlocked, the locking system on car packed up a year ago and nobody has touched it. I think you're right about insurers though they would wriggle out of out of paying at the slightest excuse.

Looks like he's in Liverpool. As a Mancunian, I'll refrain from further comment....!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    So the outer door is locked all day then? What you're talking about leaving open are the interconnecting French doors between the kitchen (or wherever) and the conservatory?

Well that should be absolutely fine. It's the same as leaving any inner interconnecting doors open.
    The door between my hall and sitting room has a lock (all the inner doors do as it's a Victorian house) but I don't lock these when I leave the house.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conservatory Window Film?
    DIY Conservatory window film - Reduce solar energy and glare entering your conservatory by up to 80%. Make the most of your extra space for entertaining, dining, working, reading, relaxing and watching TV.
    Heat reflective, anti glare, solar control films applied to your conservatory glass, polycarbonate and/or plastic you can reduce temperatures, reduce glare and help reduce fading.

During the Summer internal conservatory temperatures can reach over 120 Degrees(F) and in the winter fall to near freezing, thus creating an uncomfortable room for plants and people. The glare from the sun will make reading and viewing computer screens difficult causing eyestrain, The sun’s UV rays will increase fading on furnishings and fabrics.

With conservatory window film - heat reflective, anti glare, solar control films applied to your conservatory, you can reduce temperatures, reduce glare and help reduce ultraviolet u.v. burning and fading of curtains and furniture.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    If the french doors are not the outside doors, then of course you can leave them open, however as someone else has mentioned, the heat from the conservatory will just go into the house which will just make it even hotter!!
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is correct,

Ahhh, I thought you meant the other way round. In that case ignore everything I said.