"Israeli's may be responsible for war crimes" UN High Comissioner

Comments

• Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamas shouldn't fire rockets into Israel.
    shackfan wrote: »
    Yup. In a nutshell, this. You don't wander into a Lions den and start waving a stick at it. Bloody idiots.

I agree totally about Hamas not firing rockets, but I can also see that the continuing Israeli settlements in occupied territory (which by far the majority of the international community considers illegal), is always going to make peace a virtually impossible to attain.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »
    I would be tempted to wave one at a lion who entered my house though - until it ate me or moved away.

Or shoot it. That's reasonable in the circumstances. When someone invades your space it is normal to fight back. It's as silly blaming Palestinian fighters fir thus situation as blaming Russia and Britain for shelling Germany to bits. If they did to want the reaction they shouldn't have attacked / invaded.

Palestinians didn't go to Europe of the US and steal a part. It was Zionist that attacked and continue to threaten their way of life.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    no

They do it because there is nothing else left for them to do.

It's easy to sit in your nice, cozy, safe home thinking how you could just say "OK enough's enough, lets shake hands and start again. Forget about the past etc". Think that objective thought is possible.

In the real world horizons have narrowed, options are limited. For them it's a case of turn over and die or bring someone else down with you.

They have the option not to do it, and if they hadn't, all those Palestinians killed wouldn't have been killed.

We have to go a long way back to understand how this situation is now, but it is what it is, and unless all concerned are prepared to totally change their outlooks, and way of life, it will continue.

They know that firing rockets into Israel for months and months is going to get a reaction like this at sometime. They are doing it from civilian areas, knowing civilians will get killed, and not caring a jot, because they're hoping that at some point international sympathy will help then get what they want, but we all know it wont happen.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They should quit firing rockets indiscriminately into Israel and from within civilian populated areas, it's asking for a response.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Rule 14. Launching an attack which may be expected to cause incidental loss of civilian life, injury to civilians, damage to civilian objects, or a combination thereof, which would be excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated, is prohibited."

http://www.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docs/v1_cha_chapter4_rule14

Seems likely to me.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched Channel 4 News last night where Jon Snow spoke to both an Israeli and Palestinian and attempted to get some kind of sense out of them. Futile. >:(

Despite the death and destruction going on around them they both behaved like silly children bickering over a toy with neither agreeing 'yes we have to start talking'.

They need their heads banging together. >:(

Unforgivable. >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Watched Channel 4 News last night where Jon Snow spoke to both an Israeli and Palestinian and attempted to get some kind of sense out of them. Futile. >:(

Despite the death and destruction going on around them they both behaved like silly children bickering over a toy with neither agreeing 'yes we have to start talking'.

They need their heads banging together. >:(

Unforgivable. >:(

This pretty much sums it up I'm afraid, and also goes someway to explaining why there wont be a resolution any time soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    I thought hamas were in control.
    who's firing the rockets..

shhhhhh!!! Its not PC to mention that their being hidden behind the schools of the Palestinian children
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's be clear about this. The Israelis are the good guys.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what constitutes a 'war crime'?, can someone define what Israel has supposedly done to be accused?
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do not seem to have mentioned the hundreds if not thousands of rockets that have been fired by Hammas on Israel for many months. Do they not count?

Just large fireworks, what damage haver they done,? they knocked a bit of render of an Israeli house. and made a 6" hole in a road, as seen on t.v. news. The Israelis are replying with missiles, gunfire from ships killing kids playing on the beach, and sending in tanks, they have attacked a hospital and have killed more children. 300 plus Palestinians killed, just 30 Israeli soldiers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

You forgot to type 'In my opinion' in your post.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have been disproportionately killing Palestinians for years without much criticism. The current death rate is a repeat of previous savage phosphorous bomb supported incursions that solved nothing. Gaza and the West Bank are blockaded by the Israelis and have descended into something similar to what the Germans did in Warsaw in the 1940s. One has to wonder how Russians and East Germany could be relentlessly attacked and taunted for decades about building a wall to separate communities by the West, yet when the Israelis build the same it's supported!

With increasing land grabs and settlement expansion by the Israeli government there looks to be no basis for peace in the short to medium term.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like Israel gives a damn about what anyone thinks apart from their American pay-masters
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Like Israel gives a damn about what anyone thinks apart from their American pay-masters

At the funeral of an Israeli soldier, his sister sounded American.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You forgot to type 'In my opinion' in your post.

It's always my opinion unless I say otherwise.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Not sure what constitutes a 'war crime'?, can someone define what Israel has supposedly done to be accused?

Bombing a hospital, schools, houses, media, collective punishment, targeting families .,. Take your pick. That's just over the last couple of days.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    You would have thought the Jews had learnt a lesson. Its the Support by the US and UK that lets them get away with it.

Woe btide if you say anything negative against Israel in some parts of the US. Theres a lot of High-power Jewish connections.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on previous similar occasions the evidence will disappear
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    You would have thought the Jews had learnt a lesson. Its the Support by the US and UK that lets them get away with it.

Woe btide if you say anything negative against Israel in some parts of the US. Theres a lot of High-power Jewish connections.

I think it's rather inaccurate to simply blame US support on the Jewish population. Plenty of American Jews oppose Israel's crimes while plenty on the Christian and conservative right are supportive. I think the key area of influence is more likely to be the military and the weapons industry.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    the Israelis may be responsible for war crime.

You calling my missus a war criminal?
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Gaza is a concentration camp , one big camp controlled by the Israelis , even their own Zionists condemn what is happening in Gaza.

Egypt could save them all from this horrible existence by opening its border with Gaza and letting them enjoy life in Egypt.
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bombing a hospital, schools, houses, media, collective punishment, targeting families .,. Take your pick. That's just over the last couple of days.

When it is indescriminate bombing, but one hospital destroyed had been closed with doors locked and empty of patients, but was being used by Hamas, so after confirming the hospital was empty it was destroyed killing all Hamas inside and destroying the rockets stored there.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    You would have thought the Jews had learnt a lesson...

I think that someone's learned something all right but unfortunately that might be...

"Might makes right".
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

"The good guys"? I'm afraid real life's a little more complex than that.