old films that have aged the best

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In your opinion, what films of the '30s '40s and '50s have held up the best over the years? What do you like about them, and what do you feel is the reason for them still being enjoyable/ relevant, or just plain entertaining?

I'll start things rolling with my list

1930s

It Happened One Night

Midnight

My Man Godfrey

1940s

The Philadelphia Story

Citizen Kane

Woman of the Year

Adam's Rib

Notorious

The Third Man

1950s

On the Waterfront

12 Angry Men

Some like it Hot

All About Eve

Comments

• pete137pete137 Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roman Holiday (1953)

A timeless classic.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Quiet Man

The humour in this movie was way ahead of it's time and I enjoy it as much now as I did the first time I saw it.

Its so wonerfully romantic and If I ever turn over the TV and this is on, I always end up watching until the end.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,163
    Forum Member
    1940's - The Lady Eve - my all time favourite film, a brilliant screwball comedy that is as fresh today as it was when I first saw it 60 years ago, and it was 13 years old then!

1950's - All About Eve - my second all time favourite film, with the most literate script ever, and with every actor playing their roles to perfection.

Apart from both having the same name in their titles, they do have a connection.

Mary Orr, the author of The Wisdom of Eve (the original title of All About Eve) was a friend of director Preston Sturges. She admired his film The Lady Eve so much that she named her title character after the character that Barbara Stanwyck played in the film. So Jean Harrington/The Lady Eve Sidwich became Eve Harrington.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brief Encounter.

So romantic in an old fashioned way.
    It depicts a time long gone, railway stations as they used to be.
    The ending is always so sad, even though I've seen it countless times.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The special effects in 2001 still look great today.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1940's - The Lady Eve - my all time favourite film, a brilliant screwball comedy that is as fresh today as it was when I first saw it 60 years ago, and it was 13 years old then!

1950's - All About Eve - my second all time favourite film, with the most literate script ever, and with every actor playing their roles to perfection.

Apart from both having the same name in their titles, they do have a connection.

Mary Orr, the author of The Wisdom of Eve (the original title of All About Eve) was a friend of director Preston Sturges. She admired his film The Lady Eve so much that she named her title character after the character that Barbara Stanwyck played in the film. So Jean Harrington/The Lady Eve Sidwich became Eve Harrington.

I've never been able to get into 'The Lady Eve' and I love screwball comedies. I think I find the premise a bit hard to swallow. The bit where she meets him again, and passes herself off as someone else! hmmmm!
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any film with a good story that still works today, in the past they seemed to make fewer "of it's time" films, if that makes sense.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wizard of Oz. Way ahead of its time.
    Forum Member
    I've never been able to get into 'The Lady Eve' and I love screwball comedies. I think I find the premise a bit hard to swallow. The bit where she meets him again, and passes herself off as someone else! hmmmm!

That is a shame, I have probably watched it more than any other film. I really find it easy to see why he would believe that she was a different person, even though they look the same. To me, Jean Harrington and Eve are two totally different personalities, I still think that it is Stanwyck's greatest performance, and I have seen all 87 of her films
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    casablanca
    high society
    sunset boulevard
    seance on a wet afternoon
    sabrina
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His Girl Friday
    Psycho
    The Apartment
    An Affair To Remember
    North By Northwest
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star wars (the untinkered version) still looks good for a 40 year old sci fi movie, compared to say Logans Run made just a year earlier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a shame, I have probably watched it more than any other film. I really find it easy to see why he would believe that she was a different person, even though they look the same. To me, Jean Harrington and Eve are two totally different personalities, I still think that it is Stanwyck's greatest performance, and I have seen all 87 of her films

haha! I like you Walter, you know your stuff.:p I will give TLE another chance and watch it again sometime.

Have you seen My Man Godfrey? there is a scene in the kitchen with Carole Lombard helping William Powell ( who I think was an actor very much underrated, and way ahead of his time in regards to natural acting style) to do the dishes, and their acting in this scene is timeless. She tells him he looks cute in his apron, and their byplay is so modern.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    His Girl Friday
    Psycho
    The Apartment
    An Affair To Remember
    North By Northwest

omg i love Psycho, definitely one of my favorite movies. It is the FIRST slasher flick, not 'Halloween' which I feel has dated MORE than Psycho, and which copies the former so much.
    Forum Member
    haha! I like you Walter, you know your stuff.:p I will give TLE another chance and watch it again sometime.

Have you seen My Man Godfrey? there is a scene in the kitchen with Carole Lombard helping William Powell ( who I think was an actor very much underrated, and way ahead of his time in regards to natural acting style) to do the dishes, and their acting in this scene is timeless. She tells him he looks cute in his apron, and their byplay is so modern.

Thanks Ben, yes, do give it another try, her comic timing is just stunning, and the scene where she seduces Fonda in her cabin without even removing an item of clothing is sublime.

Incidentally, British actress Heather Thatcher coached her with the upper crust accent, and that must have been quite a struggle for the girl from Brooklyn. ;-)

I haven't seen My Man Godfrey for many years, I will take a look on YouTube.

I too am a big admirer of William Powell, I have the boxed set of The Thin Man series, I thought that he and Myrna Loy were a great team. He was also terrific in How to Marry a Millionaire and Mr Roberts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ben, yes, do give it another try, her comic timing is just stunning, and the scene where she seduces Fonda in her cabin without even removing an item of clothing is sublime.

I haven't seen My Man Godfrey for many years, I will take a look on YouTube.

I too am a big admirer of William Powell, I have the boxed set of The Thin Man series, I thought that he and Myrna Loy were a great team. He was also terrific in How to Marry a Millionaire and Mr Roberts.

He was so skilled as a comedic actor, his timing was effortless. Every-time I see him in a scene he makes me smile, he is so likeable. I can't think of any film stars today that make me like them so much. He was of his time, but also he's very much of ours too. I feel so sad that he is mostly forgotten today except by us movie buffs.
    Forum Member
    He was so skilled as a comedic actor, his timing was effortless. Every-time I see him in a scene he makes me smile, he is so likeable. I can't think of any film stars today that make me like them so much. He was of his time, but also he's very much of ours too. I feel so sad that he is mostly forgotten today except by us movie buffs.

I don't recall that there was ever a biography written on him, so it was a nice surprise when I received my "Thin Man Collection" to see that one of the seven discs contained fascinating biographies on the two stars.: "William Powell - A True Gentleman" and "Myrna Loy - So Nice to Come Home To."

Sadly, it is not only the stars of the Golden Age of Hollywood that are forgotten. I was chatting about films to my gym manager, a lovely guy who is coming up to 30. I got a big shock when I mentioned that Paul Newman was one of my favourite actors. He looked at me blankly and admitted that he had never heard of him.
    I know that his hey day was in the 1960's and '70's, long before my young friend was born, but it was still very depressing to hear. :(
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Sunset Boulevard and All About Eve hold up especially well today. Two exceptional films both released in the same year - 1950.

In particular Sunset Boulevard in regards to ageing and the desire to be young and successful again. Also it shows how destructive the need for fame and stardom can be.
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Sunset Boulevard and All About Eve hold up especially well today. Two exceptional films both released in the same year - 1950.

In particular Sunset Boulevard in regards to ageing and the desire to be young and successful again. Also it shows how destructive the need for fame and stardom can be.

Apart from both being magnificent films, this is why they seem so fresh and modern more that 60 years later.

The frightening need to stay forever young seems to start even earlier these days, with some scary and depressing results. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just remembered 'Sullivan's Travel's' 1941. Still very relevant today, and a great satire on Hollywood. Fantastic snappy dialogue, and Veronica Lake is brilliant, a very contemporary performance. Even though the scene in the church, with convicts laughing at a pluto cartoon may seem a bit corny now, the movie holds up well, and the message is still an important one. It is actually a message picture that satirizes message pictures wow!:)
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Wonderful Life - I just love everything about this movie, especially James Stewart's tremendous performance.

Let's Make Love - Still an hysterically funny movie.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    The 39 Steps(1935)
    Psycho
    All Quiet On The Western Front(1930)
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried mention some others that have been missed.

(1920s
    Metropolis
    Battleship Potemkin)

1930s
    Gone With The Wind
    The Bride of Frankenstein
    King Kong
    Angels With Dirty Faces
    Stagecoach
    Duck Soup
    Grand Illusion

1940s
    Double Indemnity
    Casablanca
    The Best years of our lives
    The Maltese Falcon
    White Heat
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Odd Man Out
    Spellbound
    Cat People

1950s
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    The War of the Worlds
    the Thing from Another World
    It came from Outer Space
    Forbidden Planet
    Rebel Without a Cause
    Seven Samurai
    A Streetcar Named Desire
    Touch of Evil
    Rashomon
    The Searchers
    The Seventh Seal
    Wild Strawberries
    The Asphalt Jungke
    The Wild One
    Bad Day at Black Rock
    The Night of the Hunter
    High Noon

There's a great many really.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    omg i love Psycho, definitely one of my favorite movies. It is the FIRST slasher flick, not 'Halloween' which I feel has dated MORE than Psycho, and which copies the former so much.

*eyebrow*

Have no doubt, Psycho is a huge influence on the sub-genre, but the first? Nope.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peeping Tom was way ahead of its time. Much of the content so reviled by the contemporary audience is standard fare these days.