Options

Prime Minister: Fill your fuel tanks in preparation for strike!

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
Call-me-Dave handing out sage advice....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17533151

Comments

• Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As they say at the races: "And we're off......"
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, he also said that
    "There is no imminent strike. The unions would have to give seven days' notice of any strike so there is no need to queue to buy petrol."

But I guess that doesn't grab as many headlines as reporting it in a way that makes him sound like he's advocating panic buying.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uncle David in ten years time.

No need to panic - race you to the pumps. I've nearly run out of petrol but I'm buggered if I'm going to wait for 30 mins in a queue of people topping up the half gallon they used this morning.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely rediculous advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Absolutely rediculous advice.

Actually, it's not. It's perfectly sound. There may be a petrol tanker strike in a week or so's time. In the eventuality that there is (and you rely on your car for work), it makes sense that when you do your normal trip to the PFS, you fill up to cover you for as long as reasonably possible. He's not saying go and buy a load of fuel straight away.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    You can only put so much in your car so whats the point of stocking up. And storing cans of petrol is downright dangerous, some muppet will probably store it in the house and have a **** and blow themselves up. Stories like this start the panic buying meaning the petrol stations run out quicker. I have half a tank and will fill up on Friday when that gets near the bottom and I have been paid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shut up Dave.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The great UK public do not need any ecouragement to panic buy that is one thing the we are still world class at.:eek:
  • Options
    The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Actually, it's not. It's perfectly sound. There may be a petrol tanker strike in a week or so's time. In the eventuality that there is (and you rely on your car for work), it makes sense that when you do your normal trip to the PFS, you fill up to cover you for as long as reasonably possible. He's not saying go and buy a load of fuel straight away.

Actually as to your last sentence they are.

"PM David Cameron said motorists need not queue but should top up their tanks, and Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude advised storing petrol in a jerrycan in their garage."

Because that is really really safe. What an idiot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I reckon Dave wants the public to panic buy so the prices will go up on the forecourts and he will get in more taxes.

Doesn't really matter if a few poor plebs torch themselves and their homes in the process.
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's against the law to store over a certain amount anyway if I remember right. Some wiser FM than me will be able to confirm or deny this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    As they say at the races: "And we're off......"
    I totally agree. It's the most daft irresponsible advice an MP has given out yet. So we are actually being advised to panic buy and store cans of petrol in our garages at home.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    How do you panic buy petrol anyway? Fill containers in the garage? Stash it away? I mean, filling your tank is something you would do regularly anyway, so that's hardly panic buying. :confused:
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Yeah, he also said that

But I guess that doesn't grab as many headlines as reporting it in a way that makes him sound like he's advocating panic buying.

I thought that.

Why does the media love scaremongering so much?
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    Actually as to your last sentence they are.

"PM David Cameron said motorists need not queue but should top up their tanks, and Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude advised storing petrol in a jerrycan in their garage."

Because that is really really safe. What an idiot.

A Jerrycan as seen in countless War films for storing fuel, or water.

And just what would be wrong in storing petrol in a proper (metal) Jerrycan? :confused:

Years ago my dad used to keep a full one of these under the drivers seat with no problem.

Although it's might not advisable to store petrol, longterm, in a plastic petrol can.

I wouldn't advise keeping in wine bottles or you might get nicked as a terrorist. :D
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's reasonable advice spun into something else by Labour and the press. The way I look at it is that for the short term I will no longer allow my tank to drop below half. That means filling up every 220miles or so it seems. Every other week instead of every third week.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Jeez whats worse, the panic buying or the "outrage" from some posters. Loads of people store small amounts fuel in a jerrycan in the garage for their petrol mowers or for emergencies. Loads of people also store flammable paint and solvents and aersosols and everything else which could burn a house down. Nobody advocated panic buying and nobody with half a brain would think Maude advocated keeping gallons of it under a tarpaulin in the shed.

The GBP really are a sorry bunch of bloody sheep with alarming amounts of haemorrhaging common sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    And just what would be wrong in storing petrol in a proper (metal) Jerry Can? :confused:

Years ago my dad used to keep a full one of these under the drivers seat with no problem.

Although it's might not advisable to store petrol, longterm, in a plastic petrol can.

I wouldn't advise keeping in wine bottles or you might get nicked as a terrorist. :D

You don't have to take my word for it Nans the Firebrigade think he's an idiot too and are demanding he retracts the "advice"
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Well the last time we had a tanker strike I had two metal jerry cans stored in a bunker outside

I was also the only one in the village who had transport

I dont think my customers would have been very pleased that I could not attend their events after paying me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Jeez whats worse, the panic buying or the "outrage" from some posters. Loads of people store small amounts fuel in a jerrycan in the garage for their petrol mowers or for emergencies. Loads of people also store flammable paint and solvents and aersosols and everything else which could burn a house down. Nobody advocated panic buying and nobody with half a brain would think Maude advocated keeping gallons of it under a tarpaulin in the shed.

The GBP really are a sorry bunch of bloody sheep with alarming amounts of haemorrhaging common sense.

I have some in the shed for my lawnmower.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Sky News are not helping the panic buying situation

every couple off mins they are saying no need to panic while reporting of panic buying and petrol stations running out
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    You don't have to take my word for it Nans the Firebrigade think he's an idiot too and are demanding he retracts the "advice"

Somehow I doubt it will be petrol stored in proper metal Jerrycans that will be the problem. It will be petrol stored in plastic bottles and old tin cans that will be.

After last years riots I wonder how many petrol stations would allow you to fill one anyway?

Garages refuse to sell petrol to garden businesses after riots
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do you panic buy petrol anyway? Fill containers in the garage? Stash it away? I mean, filling your tank is something you would do regularly anyway, so that's hardly panic buying. :confused:

Exactly. The PM is saying there is NO NEED to panic-buy. Just top up when you do buy.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky News are not helping the panic buying situation

every couple off mins they are saying no need to panic while reporting of panic buying and petrol stations running out

Just saw this myself, reports of queues and some petrol stations running out.

Great advice from Dave! Still, with record prices at the pumps maybe it will help boost the economy a bit - perhaps that's the plan...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dai13371 wrote: »

It's basic maths. Being told to top up small and often will mean people will top up more often hence creating queues.

The Prime Minister and Maude are idiots.