Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 9)

Comments

• gingerjackgingerjack Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are the relevant bits from the reply I received today from the ASA today:

So there you go folks, being ' light-hearted and mischievous' goes some way to excusing the ad and because in their opinion most viewers wouldn't consider it sexist or sexual harassment then there's nothing wrong with it.

If we look most adverts they put the man down and make him look an idiot, but maybe us blokes can take the joke better, it s a bit like take me out....never be allowed the other way around....the worst is the condoning of violence again men,on tv films and adverts the man does or says something the woman doesnt like and its bang, a slap accoss the face, drink in the face, push in the pool or worse
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    They're all horrendous - even more so that current one: does anybody actually think that a vet would mistake a hood for a cat?

I found that very funny the first time, not so the more I see it.:D
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other advert I really hate is that silly Pearl du Lait advert which implies your entire face/hair/outlook will spring to life after...eating a yoghurt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    The Bertolli advert is absolute sexual harrassment and I hate its guts. I hate the fact that because it's old Italian women 'having a larf' the young man is fair game. He neither invites or enjoys their attention.

I notice its been cut down and I'm not surprised.

Purely and simply, change the genders and stick a young lady in the position of the young man and add a bunch of leering old men. Would it be fine to pull her clothes off and kick(!) a dog in to whip her knickers away? Then take a picture?

It really pulls my pud when women are allowed to take advantage and belittle men in advertising (men are usually made to look like dolts and idiots in advertising anyway) but there'd be a scandal on if that advert was reversed.

A similar thing happens in the workplace as well .

I work in a female dominated dept and quite often the 45 - 55 year old women make very suggestive remarks and comments about some of the young men ( temps) little things like ' show us your tattoo" or musces or whatever and yet if the the older blokes were to start oggling or making suggestive comments about one of the pretty young girls they'd be seen as being pervs . Just seems strange to me .
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    A similar thing happens in the workplace as well .

I work in a female dominated dept and quite often the 45 - 55 year old women make very suggestive remarks and comments about some of the young men ( temps) little things like ' show us your tattoo" or musces or whatever and yet if the the older blokes were to start oggling or making suggestive comments about one of the pretty young girls they'd be seen as being pervs . Just seems strange to me .

I think it's because we still view women as non-threatening that we allow their humour to go mad whilst men have to reign back for the sake of 'decency', and not to offend.

I'm not anti-women or anti-fun. I like women a lot and I know what fun is. I just think that if you notice in many adverts men are made to look absolute dunces even in areas they are often technically gifted in. Men are probably better at laughing at themselves but in a way I think in advertising it's gone too far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    I think it's because we still view women as non-threatening that we allow their humour to go mad whilst men have to reign back for the sake of 'decency', and not to offend.

I'm not anti-women or anti-fun. I like women a lot and I know what fun is. I just think that if you notice in many adverts men are made to look absolute dunces even in areas they are often technically gifted in. Men are probably better at laughing at themselves but in a way I think in advertising it's gone too far.

Also dare I suggest we are not as sensitive as women, recently had to go for physiotherpy with a female physio, on entering the treatment room she looked at me stood in my shorts and laughed at my legs and commented "you have really strange legs for a man ! " I just laughted it off too ,as she was quite correct, however ,if the situation was the other way around , I suggest there may have been a complaint and a carpeting.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    gingerjack wrote: »
    If we look most adverts they put the man down and make him look an idiot, but maybe us blokes can take the joke better, it s a bit like take me out....never be allowed the other way around....the worst is the condoning of violence again men,on tv films and adverts the man does or says something the woman doesnt like and its bang, a slap accoss the face, drink in the face, push in the pool or worse

You could be right there but they're both harrassment IMO - two wrongs dont make a right. Remember the famous Diet Coke break "It's 11:30" ad - that wouldnt be allowed if it was some blokes looking at a young girl.
    I havent seen Take Me Out in a while - isnt only 1 bloke choosing from a parade of women or does it work the other way?
    And why can we only see their upper halves? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    You could be right there but they're both harrassment IMO - two wrongs dont make a right. Remember the famous Diet Coke break "It's 11:30" ad - that wouldnt be allowed if it was some blokes looking at a young girl.
    I havent seen Take Me Out in a while - isnt only 1 bloke choosing from a parade of women or does it work the other way?
    And why can we only see their upper halves? :o

well in Take Me Out a parade of women decide if they are interested or not in one bloke , he has to parades himself like a show dog, the unltimate rejection is when they all switch theirs lights off !!!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Well yeah, but I thought the bloke also decides which girl to take out as well :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes if more than one decide to pick him, he can choose
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    The airwick/vanish powder adverts with the women dancing and jumping arund like deranged morons really grinds my gears
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an advert on the radio where a woman is presumably having an orgasm over a wood flooring!.also I used to hate we buy any car buy it's gone thank God!
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That mint aero advert where as soon as they eat the horrible stuff they start bouncing on bouncy balls. Music nigs at me too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    There's an advert on the radio where a woman is presumably having an orgasm over a wood flooring!. !

How did I miss that one :)
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    How did I miss that one :)

You are so lucky.... it's bloody annoying!
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    lola_skye wrote: »
    There's an advert on the radio where a woman is presumably having an orgasm over a wood flooring!.also I used to hate we buy any car buy it's gone thank God!

We obviously have the wrong wood flooring.
  • Danno2020Danno2020 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    They're all horrendous - even more so that current one: does anybody actually think that a vet would mistake a hood for a cat?

Oh I'm yet to have the pleasure of seeing that one yet! The one that bugs me the most (yes, more so than the Pleasure Beach one) has to be the Space one.

There is no way in God's green Earth ANYBODY would let blind-ass astronauts fly a rocket. For them to be completely oblivious to any navigation systems on board, and appear to lack all intelligence and training, it boggles the mind! I'm no expert, but I'd imagine perfect vision is pretty much crucial if you want to go on space missions. I'm also relatively sure space shuttles will be fitted with the most up-to-date navigation and warning systems on the planet. And the final straw: as if all crew members on board are blind as doughnuts! Unreal and very bad HR on Nasa's part.

Okay, incredibly pedantic and pathetic, and I totally understand the adverts are meant to be funny (oh haha! They've landed at the airport, silly buggers) but the complete and utter lack of realism just bug me to the point of screaming!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Well it finally happened.

The idiotic "Can I Upgrade" bumpers before and after every break in a film finally offended someone.

Get of them. They are jarring whatever the movie is.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSL "matchmaker" advert actually physically made me irrationally angry.

A load of attractive, glamorously dressed women dancing suggestively with some average guy to the tune of Matchmaker, Matchmaker.

"What on earth is this advertising?" I'm thinking, slightly perplexed, as I watched. The only thing that made any vague sense is that it's for womens clothes.

But no, it's a ****ing sofa advert, with the fact soafs are involved only being apparent in the last 0.1% of the advert. Way to create a completely irrelevant marketing mechanism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    The BT advert is getting on my nerves and that Snickers advert that has Joan Collins in :mad:
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    Azura coffee :mad: and they have made the ad longer :mad:
    Forum Member
    Any weight Watchers ad but there is one where a woman has stolen another womans food. It makes no sense.
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The patsy kensit WW advert where she is talking to a news reader (I don't know who she is) it is really badly edited and he conversation is really just statements shouted at each other.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danno2020 wrote: »
    Oh that is annoying! "We've been through three moves, an alien invasion, the apocalypse and JLS splitting up. And Kate? She still looks like Kate!" Urgh.

So you moved house a few times and have so many modelling jobs to do. Oh it must be so hard...

Moving a lot and dying your hair a lot is very suspicous I think she is on the run from the law.
    Forum Member
    meechyemoo wrote: »
    The patsy kensit WW advert where she is talking to a news reader (I don't know who she is) it is really badly edited and he conversation is really just statements shouted at each other.

She's in 2 ads now then :mad: The weight watchers ones drive me mad.
This discussion has been closed.