GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot about this, will watch on +1 :p
  • Options
    squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think it's about time they quit glorifying a bunch of people who believe spending a fortune to marry off your 16 year old to a jail bird is acceptable.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,132
    Forum Member
    squadge wrote: »
    think it's about time they quit glorifying a bunch of people who believe spending a fortune to marry off your 16 year old to a jail bird is acceptable.

Just because they have a different culture to you doesn't make it unacceptable.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh yes it does!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oldhag wrote: »
    Oh yes it does!

Only if you're a bigot.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when do you pack a bag if you expect to be imprisoned? What would you put in it?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you're a bigot.
    If you can't laugh at girls with orange faces and make-up applied at clown school, then you obviously have no sense of humour. Their lives are like a continuous bad taste party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    If you can't laugh at girls with orange faces and make-up applied at clown school, then you obviously have no sense of humour. Their lives are like a continuous bad taste party.

That's a different point. I find the show hilarious, but I don't find it 'unacceptable'.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it low cost lowest denominator unentelligent cr-p.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there didn't seem to be many at the wedding :)
  • Options
    fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hooter wrote: »
    Perhaps they`ve done her in and buried her somewhere :eek:

In some beefburgers?
  • Options
    trio1trio1 Posts: 163
    Forum Member

These girls cannot read or write, and as we saw in Thelma's programme have massive difficulty reading a simple clock.

The life expectancy for a Traveller woman is 12 years less than a non-Traveller woman. Infant mortality is 3.6 times higher than in the non-traveller community.

If you substituted the word "Saudi" for "Traveller" we'd all be calling it a human rights issue. But because these girls are orange and gobby, it's somehow acceptable?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you seen them pop up in the tabloids? People get all misty-eyed about how 'they marry young but they marry for life' - but at least three of the couples who married on BFG got divorced or are in the process! The wives ran for it when they realised they had shacked up with thugs. (And thank god their culture is changing to make this acceptable.)
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like some FMs here, I was also surprised about Thelma Madine's non-appearance on C4's latest 'MBFGV'. I wonder if it has something to do with the last series of 'Thelma's Gypsy Girls' i.e. possible fallout between Thelma & the Traveller community.

Read this: http://flowersandfeminism.wordpress.com/tag/thelma-madine/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trio1 wrote: »
    These girls cannot read or write, and as we saw in Thelma's programme have massive difficulty reading a simple clock.

The life expectancy for a Traveller woman is 12 years less than a non-Traveller woman. Infant mortality is 3.6 times higher than in the non-traveller community.

If you substituted the word "Saudi" for "Traveller" we'd all be calling it a human rights issue. But because these girls are orange and gobby, it's somehow acceptable?

Is it a human rights issue if they are not forced and there is no deliberate state discrimination? They do it to themselves. It is appauling that in this day and age there are British citizens who can't read the time, read or write, but how can that be changed without trampling over their rights by forcing them to follow a settled lifestyle?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was interesting Danielle's fiance felt the travellers way of life appeared to be coming to an end, the travellers where I live are saying the same thing and would like more permanent camps.

I found the article you linked Flanno very interesting, I would like to see things change for the girls.

Danielle's younger sister did seem to have a different attitude, even though she was only 8!
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol culture..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Bumping this for anyone watching now...

I have to say I do LOL at the notion of 'culture' - where's the traveller culture in being obsessed wi Disney, velour tracksuits, and fake tan? Their great grandparents would be turning in their graves. The old culture was about living on the land, respecting Catholicism, and surviving outside of English / British bureaucracy and being financially free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    samwalk wrote: »
    Is it a human rights issue if they are not forced and there is no deliberate state discrimination? They do it to themselves. It is appauling that in this day and age there are British citizens who can't read the time, read or write, but how can that be changed without trampling over their rights by forcing them to follow a settled lifestyle?

I believe it is a human rights issue and I believe the treatment of women in Islam and other oppressive religions or cultures is also a human rights issue - for example being left homeless and disconnected if suffering a violent rape happens in both these cultures, considered 'soiled' and unfit for a proper life, nay even punished for being the victim of a rape. That, to me, in my opinion is a human rights issue whether it happens here in London to an Irish lass or in Saudi Arabia to an muslim woman. Never mind such things as being deprived of education, independent finance, basic health services, and disallowed from leaving the house alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Lol culture..

Why LOL?:confused: