Winter Sports Olympic Year 2013-2014

grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The first televised Winter Sports action of the new Olympic season starts this weekend.

Eurosport have a series of live Figure Skating programmes from the Nebelhorn Cup event in Germany, starting tomorrow live at 17:00 and 20:30 and continuing over Friday and Saturday.

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurosport have a series of live Figure Skating programmes from the Nebelhorn Cup event in Germany, starting tomorrow live at 17:00 and 20:30 and continuing over Friday and Saturday.

I hadn't realised the importance of this event. It's the last-chance Olympic qualifier. Britain do not yet have qualifiers in the Pairs or Men's Singles. We already have places in the Ice Dance and Women's Singles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/24240898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »

I think there are 4 qualifiers go through so it depends how many non-qualified people finish in front of them. You could finish 12th and make it, or 6th and not make it, depending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »

And they finished 7th, which was top non-qualifier, so they will be going to Sochi.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/24307888

Matthew Parr will get his chance tomorrow night, so if he qualifies we will have a place in every event.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a good weekend for Britain's short track skaters in the first World Cup of the year in China with not many people getting out of their heats and nobody getting into any finals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/24317140
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Lighting of Sochi Olympic flame about to start on Olympic.org.!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't find confirmation, but Matthew Papp only finished 25th in the men's Figure Skating, so I imagine that GB won't get a place in the Men's, although they have qualified for the other 4 events.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Team GB have picked the men's curling squad for Sochi.

David Murdoch, Tom Brewster, Greg Drummond, Scott Andrews and Michael Goodfellow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/24366691

The women's squad was announced a few weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/23853394
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are our best chances this year do we think? We normally get some random one popping up.

I think those in with a chance are Bobsleigh, and some other sliding events.

Snowboarding Billy Morgan has been doing really well on the World Cup, sadly this Olympics looks 4 years too late for Jenny Jones who was dominant a few years back in Women's slope style.

I can't see us getting anything in the pipe and Chemmy has been unlucky with injury again, although I think her best hope was top 10.

Really interested to see how Vonn comes back from her ACL last year, she looks good in training already but we won't know about race pace just yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have chances in quite a wide range of sports, judging on World Cup performances over the last couple of years

Curling Men and Women - Many medals at World and European level
    Bobsleigh and Skeleton - we have credible top-10 people in all 5 events, especially in women's skeleton
    Freestyle skiing and freestyle snowboarding - 4 people who have been on World Cup or World Champs podiums
    Short Track Speed Skating - Medal chances in women's and relays
    Snowboard Cross - Regular top 8 finisher in the women's event, and top 30 finishers in the mens.

Of the other sports, we have excellent chances for our best-ever placings in both men's and women's cross country skiing. Unfortunately our alpine skiing is probably going to be poor - we only have a couple of people who have ever made the top 30, unlike the last couple of Olympics when we had two or three regular top 15 finishers.

Don't know about figure skating. We have qualifiers, but I don't think they've been top 10 before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another short track World Cup this weekend, in Seoul. GB did rather better than last time, a bronze in the men's relay, and Elise Christie made the 1000m final, but finished 5th. Got to the semis in the 1500m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/24419431
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When does all the stuff like Biathlon, cross country etc start ? Is it mid December or do we have to wait until new year

Biathlon is my fave i admit. Will it be a farewell year for Bjorndalen ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When does all the stuff like Biathlon, cross country etc start ? Is it mid December or do we have to wait until new year

Biathlon is my fave i admit. Will it be a farewell year for Bjorndalen ?

There is a big pre-Xmas programme in all the events.

First Biathlon World Cup is Oestersund, Sweden on 22 November. First Cross Country World Cup is Kuusamo 29 November, but there are some other non World Cup races before that. First Alpine Event is Soelden, 26 October. There has been some summer ski-jumping over the last few weeks, but first winter event is Klingenthal, 22 November.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a big pre-Xmas programme in all the events.

First Biathlon World Cup is Oestersund, Sweden on 22 November. First Cross Country World Cup is Kuusamo 29 November, but there are some other non World Cup races before that. First Alpine Event is Soelden, 26 October. There has been some summer ski-jumping over the last few weeks, but first winter event is Klingenthal, 22 November.

Oh fantastic, cheers for that fella :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dates for the bobsleigh / skeleton World Cups this year.

Calgary, Canada: 26-30 November
    Park City, US: 2-7 December
    Lake Placid, US: 10 - 15 December
    Winterberg, Germany: 31 December - 5 January 2014
    St. Moritz, Switzerland: 7-12 January, 2014
    Igls, Austria: 14-19 January 2014
    Konigssee, Germany: 21-26 January 2014

And more British Bobsleigh news. The important thing is that GB have got the finance to field two teams in all three disciplines (women's bob, mens 2- and 4- man) throughout the season with the hope of getting all 6 teams qualified by the January cut-off date. GB will also be hoping to get 2 qualifiers in both men and women's skeleton. Women's skeleton could possibly even get 3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/24450153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurosport have coverage of the Skate America figure skating tournament on Saturday and Sunday evening - the first event of this season's ISU Grand Prix, with a series of 7 events between now and mid-December.

2013 Skate America Detroit, Michigan October 18–20
    2013 Skate Canada St. John, New Brunswick, Canada October 25–27
    2013 Cup of China Beijing, China November 1–3
    2013 NHK Trophy Tokyo, Japan November 8–10
    2013 Trophée Eric Bompard Paris, France November 15–17
    2013 Rostelecom Cup Moscow, Russia November 22–24
    2013–2014 Grand Prix Final Fukuoka, Japan December 5–8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News from British Skeleton - the selection races for the upcoming World Cup have been taking place this week. Britain has got 3 World Cup places this year. The skeleton races are some of Team GB's strongest medal chances

On the women's side, Shelley Rudman is automatically selected, so there were two places up for grabs. Positions were

1) Lizzy Yarnold
    2) Donna Creighton
    3) Laura Deas

On the men's side there were no preselections. Positions were

1) Ed Smith
    2) Dominic Parson
    3) Kristian Bromley

http://www.teamgb.com/news/yarnold-and-smith-quickest-world-cup-selection-races

On TV this weekend, we have the start of the Alpine season, with two Grand Slaloms from Solden. Lindsay Vonn is still not fit, so will miss the opener. The draws for the races are tomorrow, so no start lists till then.

Ladies on Saturday, Eurosport 1
    08:30 First run
    11:15 Second run

Mens on Sunday Eurosport 1
    08:30 First run
    11:15 Second run

In Figure Skating, there is the Skate Canada event this weekend, live on Eurosport Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings.
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dates for the bobsleigh / skeleton World Cups this year.

Calgary, Canada: 26-30 November
    Park City, US: 2-7 December
    Lake Placid, US: 10 - 15 December
    Winterberg, Germany: 31 December - 5 January 2014
    St. Moritz, Switzerland: 7-12 January, 2014
    Igls, Austria: 14-19 January 2014
    Konigssee, Germany: 21-26 January 2014

And more British Bobsleigh news. The important thing is that GB have got the finance to field two teams in all three disciplines (women's bob, mens 2- and 4- man) throughout the season with the hope of getting all 6 teams qualified by the January cut-off date. GB will also be hoping to get 2 qualifiers in both men and women's skeleton. Women's skeleton could possibly even get 3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/24450153

I know it's not relevant to Sochi,but I have been thinking about the last couple of years in the womens bobsleigh.There have been several summer sport athletes who have excelled at being the push/brakewoman,most notably Lolo Jones for Team USA.I think that two athletes who would really fit in to the power part of the discipline for Team GB would be sprinter Christine Ohuruogu,and cyclist Shanaze Reade.They are both so physically impressive,especially with their leg strength.

That is just hypothetical though.I assume that they are dedicating every waking minute to Rio.Does anyone have any other suggestions as to which other female power athletes could possibly have a realistic shot at Sochi?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is just hypothetical though.I assume that they are dedicating every waking minute to Rio.Does anyone have any other suggestions as to which other female power athletes could possibly have a realistic shot at Sochi?

I don't know if cyclists are a good fit, the brakeman in the Bob really only gets 5 strides to make an impact, so it really has to be a track sprinter, and at the moment we just don't have many of those to spare.

Anyway, following on the from the Skeleton trials, the British team for the first batch of World Cups are

Shelley Rudman
    Lizzy Yarnold
    Donna Creighton

Kristan Bromley
    Ed Smith
    Dominic Parsons

Their first job will be to make sure Team GB stays in the World top two by mid January which guarantees that we get three places in Sochi. Our rivals will be Germany, Canada and the US in both the men's and women's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're into the NHL and you're on Virgin there is good news this morning - Premier Sports has just been added on Channel 551.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only one sport represented this weekend - the Figure Skating Grand Prix caravan moves on to China, so it's live in the mornings on British Eurosport 2 Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
  • tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alpine Skiing takes a 3 week break after the first event last week in Soelden. Assume they can have it so early as it's very high up.

Next event is the Slalom in Levi then 2 weeks later the first downhills in North America. Slow build up but I guess best to ensure the snow is there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another weekend with nothing but Figure Skating, this time from Japan, so all the live events are early morning. Fortunately the season proper begins next weekend, with the first full alpine program and the beginning of the luge World Cup.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, there are also World Cup events in both Short Track and Long Track skating as well - these hardly any get any coverage from Eurosport.

The Short Track event at Torino is an Olympic Qualifier, so very important for the UK's medal hopes. They are still at the heat stages, but it looks like Elise Christie and Jack Whelbourne are ery near to qualifying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/24860037

There is a live stream channel, though! Coverage of the Calgary long track meet starts at 18:00 tonight. Short track quarters and semis from Torino start tomorrow at 13:00

http://livemanager.eurovision.edgesuite.net/isu/site/index.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the long track stream now - excellent quality stream with English language (well, Canadian) commentary.