Options

Do you celebrate your birthday and do you have the day off work?

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
Forum Member
✭✭
(Aimed at the non-Jehovah's Witnesses of the forum)

What do you do on your birthday? Do you have a party? Go for drinks? Have cake? Do you have the day off work? What has been the best birthday you have ever had? Do you like your birthdays or do they not mean much to you? Just another ordinary day?

On my birthday I always have something nice to eat.

My best birthday ever was last year when my friend took me on a surprise foodie tour of London which she assembled herself. We started off for breakfast at Duck & Waffle on 40th floor of Heron Tower. Then cocktails at Sushi Samba on the 39th floor. Then more drinks at Coq d'argent at Bank. Lunch at Smiths of Smithfield. Dessert at Choccywoccydoodah. Then home and Indian takeaway for dinner with an episode of the Sopranos.

Then part two of my birthday surprise was a few days later - Zoo Lates at London Zoo, where my surprise guests turned up to join us one by one.

I totally forgot to make any birthday cakes.

This year I will be having a quieter one.

Comments

• Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    That sounds brilliant!!

Me and my twin sister always celebrate our birthday, usually a day out, a nice meal, a few drinks, along with our closest friends and family. It would be odd not doing anything at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds brilliant!!

Me and my twin sister always celebrate our birthday, usually a day out, a nice meal, a few drinks, along with our closest friends and family. It would be odd not doing anything at all.

It was really amazing. My sides were bursting when I had my cake at Choccywoccydoodah before catching the tube home.

I repaid my friend on her birthday by taking her to the Sanctuary Spa (sadly closed recently) for a surprise. We got out of Covent Garden station and I made her close her eyes while I walked her over there. And then a meal at all you can eat Brazilian buffet. And a combined birthday party a couple of weeks later for her and out other pal.

That's lovely having a twin to celebrate with!
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I don't take the day off work but we usually go out for a meal in the evening unless my partner is working. We did have a party on my 40th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I have ever had a birthday party in my adult life. The food is very important though. This year I have asked for stilton and a selection of crackers as a gift.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you get to my age birthdays are just things that happen and a sign that I am getting older. I don't bother to book a day off for my birthday, but for the last few years my day off have fallen on my birthday.

My best party was when I was 11, I have no idea why I had one at 11, but it was good. I never had one since.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped celebrating my birthday after my 30th. Tbh, I'm not big on celebrations of any real sort and would rather have a party because I feel like it and not for any specific date.
    I'm not one for any sort of fuss at all and not even a fan of the fact that my workmates put balloons and streamers over my desk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    When you get to my age birthdays are just things that happen and a sign that I am getting older. I don't bother to book a day off for my birthday, but for the last few years my day off have fallen on my birthday.

My best party was when I was 11, I have no idea why I had one at 11, but it was good. I never had one since.
    What age does this start?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have already received an early birthday gift (as my friend had to go abroad and will miss my birthday). She made me five cupcake sized chocolate cherry cheesecakes, and her homemade macadamia nut brittle. The cheesecakes is one of the best desserts I have ever tasted. And the brittle is delicious, I don't normally rave about toffee/fudge type things but this is the business.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even as a kid i didn't get the fuss. It's hugely self important to 'celebrate' your own birthday isn't it?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even as a kid i didn't get the fuss. It's hugely self important to 'celebrate' your own birthday isn't it?!
    Of course it's no personal achievement to simply get older but It's nice to be spoiled. I like it. Or even just to go for a meal.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went on holiday this year for my Birthday :D

As well as having a beautiful holiday I also decided not to age a year - as I wasn't here it doesn't count and I am still 33 :o

I have only ever worked one Birthday and that was when I was doing an exhibition abroad with work, thankfully the colleagues I went with were complete party animals so we had a brilliant time.

Some years I have had big gatherings, I had a massive party for my 30th and other years it's just me and OH. I have also been away for other Birthday's - my Birthday is in June so it's a nice time to go on holiday.

Whatever I do it almost always involved wine (barring the two birthday's I have been pregnant) and cake.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the past few years, I've gone out to for something to eat with my mum and sister, but it's more for their benefit than mine because I think it makes them happy they're doing something for my birthday.

Before that I used to make a point of going to the cinema on my own. it's something I enjoy so I used to make the point that I should always do something I enjoy on MY birthday.

I'd be happy to go back to doing that really and may well do in the future - birthdays don't really mean much to me any more.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it's no personal achievement to simply get older but It's nice to be spoiled. I like it. Or even just to go for a meal.

I still don't get why people expect others to make plans or join them for their birthday etc. I sometimes forget mine its such a non event for me!
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member

Not really, it's nice to celebrate special occasions with friends and family, birthdays, anniversaries etc
    I love spoiling my loved ones on their special day, it's a way of affirming how important they are to me. Life would be dull without the occasional celebration.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At my last birthday, two of the presents my wife gave me were a nose hair trimmer and a size XL jumper which had to go back because it was too small.

I vowed then that I will no longer be celebrating my birthdays in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still don't get why people expect others to make plans or join them for their birthday etc. I sometimes forget mine its such a non event for me!
    I don't expect anything. Anything I have been given or had organised for me have been surprises. Whenever anyone asks me what I want for my birthday I always say 'anything edible, it doesn't have to be big or expensive'. As I said, I have requested this year (in answer to 'what do you want for your birthday?' ) cheese and biscuits.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that I'm getting old, I don't really care about my birthday that much. It's just a reminder of my fading youth. :cry:

However, in my family, my birthday is a big deal. My dad celebrates my birthday for the entire month. I'm an extremely indulged child. On my actual birthday, it has always been a strictly family day. I'd usually have the party for friends during the weekend, and if my birthday fell on Saturday, then it was the following weekend.

Back in the day, when I was in school, my birthday was alwaaaaays around exam time. That's the worst. I've written many an exam on my birthday over the years. I wish I could've had the day off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, it's nice to celebrate special occasions with friends and family, birthdays, anniversaries etc
    I love spoiling my loved ones on their special day, it's a way of affirming how important they are to me. Life would be dull without the occasional celebration.
    Me too! I always make very special birthday cupcakes, trying to make unique designs for everyone, a lot of the time based on one's favourite colour, and I also get them a gift.

It was our pal's birthday a few days ago and we clubbed together to get a voucher for this place called Circus in Covent Garden. It's a restaurant and bar where there are live circus acts for entertainment as one drinks/dines. She was thrilled.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Now that I'm getting old, I don't really care about my birthday that much. It's just a reminder of my fading youth. :cry:

However, in my family, my birthday is a big deal. My dad celebrates my birthday for the entire month. I'm an extremely indulged child. On my actual birthday, it has always been a strictly family day. I'd usually have the party for friends during the weekend, and if my birthday fell on Saturday, then it was the following weekend.

Back in the day, when I was in school, my birthday was alwaaaaays around exam time. That's the worst. I've written many an exam on my birthday over the years, I wish I could've had the day off.

My last A' Level exam was on my 18th Birthday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Back in the day, when I was in school, my birthday was alwaaaaays around exam time. That's the worst. I've written many an exam on my birthday over the years. I wish I could've had the day off.
    Fading youth? You're TWENTY TWO! (or thereabouts)! >:(
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fading youth? You're TWENTY TWO! (or thereabouts)! >:(

WRONG!

I turned 23 last month! I wish I was 22! :cry::cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WRONG!

I turned 23 last month! I wish I was 22! :cry::cry:
    Ah, ok. In that case I take it back, you wrinkly old goat! :p

Did you have a lovely birthday? Where did you go to eat?
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My best birthday was my 21st - I went to the zoo :D

I only take the day off work if it's a Friday or a Monday - I like having the long weekend. If it falls in the middle of the week taking the day off seems a bit pointless.

This year however, I took a whole week off for my birthday. I was moving at the same time, so it made a lot of sense. It also meant I had a lot of time and ended up eating out/meeting with friends every day for the entire week, it was almost like a week-long celebration.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like a major fuss on my birthday, and never really have done, but we do mark birthdays with a family get together. I generally try to book my Birthday off, but it does quite often fall on the second may bank holiday which is nice. (apart form when they moved it to the first week in june to get two days together for the royal wedding)

But this year I cashed in my nectar points for a PS4 and bought myself a brand new car. I was awake at 5am like a kid at christmas, played PS4 until time to pick up my car then went for a drive.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Yes & yes. Though it's not like i call in sick or something like a couple of idiots at work have done. I get the date off months in advance.