Options

Life On Mars

Cracklin RosieCracklin Rosie Posts: 3,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone know when this is due to start back again!

I'm having Gene Hunt cravings at the moment :D

Comments

• Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,037
    Forum Member
    yuo can find it on Virgin and BBC Prime (whatever that is) I found it on this useful website
    http://movie-tv-episode-database.com/
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sun's TV Mag says that Ashes to Ashes will be back in the Spring - set in the year 1982.
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashes to Ashes has a completely different look and feel from Life On Mars..IMO it doesn't come close. I just finished watching LOM on BluRay today...what a perfect TV series and I'm glad the writers resisted the temptation to spin this out...like Fawlty Towers it will be viewed as a superlative series 20 years from now.

A2A, whilst maintaining the Gene Hunt character is less likely to age well...it just doesn't have the same "uniqueness" about it.

I often wonder how a series with Gene Hunt set in the PC aware present day would fare...I know this is something the writers considered but ultimately rejected...could have been interesting !

Meantime I am left considering what a talent John Simm is..as demonstrated in particular in the final episode of A2A S2..simply stunning performance.

My vote, leave it as it is, as a fantastic piece of TV history, and let Gene Hunt die an honourable death, whilst hopefully creating space for us to appreciate more of Philip Glenister in other roles.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    Ashes to Ashes has a completely different look and feel from Life On Mars..IMO it doesn't come close. I just finished watching LOM on BluRay today...what a perfect TV series and I'm glad the writers resisted the temptation to spin this out...like Fawlty Towers it will be viewed as a superlative series 20 years from now.

A2A, whilst maintaining the Gene Hunt character is less likely to age well...it just doesn't have the same "uniqueness" about it.

I often wonder how a series with Gene Hunt set in the PC aware present day would fare...I know this is something the writers considered but ultimately rejected...could have been interesting !

Meantime I am left considering what a talent John Simm is..as demonstrated in particular in the final episode of A2A S2..simply stunning performance.

My vote, leave it as it is, as a fantastic piece of TV history, and let Gene Hunt die an honourable death, whilst hopefully creating space for us to appreciate more of Philip Glenister in other roles.

Completely agree that Ashes to Ashes doesn't really compare to Life On Mars and although they obviously wanted to use A2A as another vehicle for the Gene Hunt character, I wish they'd have kept it going in the 70's instead of the massive jump to the 80's.
  • Options
    peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member

Couldn't agree more, LOM was head and shoulders above Ashes to Ashes.

Thinking about your comment about Gene Hunt in present day - He would have been prosecuted the moment he opened his mouth and spent the whole series in jail LOL!!

Yes, love to see more of Philip Glenister, but.....not Demons!

John Simm ALWAYS turns in wonderful performances, whatever he's in. I'm such a huge fan of his.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grey wrote: »
    yuo can find it on Virgin and BBC Prime (whatever that is) I found it on this useful website
    http://movie-tv-episode-database.com/

BBC Prime is a subscription service for ex-pats and not available in the UK
  • Options
    Cracklin RosieCracklin Rosie Posts: 3,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know when this is due to start back again!

I'm having Gene Hunt cravings at the moment :D

I meant the title to be Ashes to Ashes by the way!
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with others that 'Life on Mars' is head and shoulders above 'Ashes to Ashes' in almost every department.
    But A2A is good too. I'm not saying that A2H is bad, more emphasising how good LoM really is.
    I'd definitely call it a modern classic.
  • Options
    tomcontitomconti Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC Prime is a subscription service for ex-pats and not available in the UK

Although its not officially available in the UK its always been pretty easy to get thanks to the numerous feeds of it on satellite and often some of them are in the clear
  • Options
    tomcontitomconti Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What happened to the commentaries on the season 2 BD.

I'm sure the season 2 dvd had commentaries - and even the season 1 BD did too
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomconti wrote: »
    What happened to the commentaries on the season 2 BD.

I'm sure the season 2 dvd had commentaries - and even the season 1 BD did too

Hmm..dunno, Season 2 BD has "behind the scenes" of episodes and a feature on "the end of LOM "
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm. I thought there'd be a longer thread for this TV series? So here's the beef: I got series 1 & 2 of LOM for a pressie and, having never watched any of the series on TV, have spent the last couple of weeks watching one DVD per night. So what do I think? Well it wasn't bad, although if I have to see the inside of another old warehouse I'll go MAD!!
    Was it entertaining? Well, yeah. Though I think they did right by ending it after two series rather that pummeling a corpse to further death!
    Any niggles? Oh a few, but given that it's an entertainment series there obviously isn't enough time to work through the obvious discrepencies that would arise between the 2006 & 1973 characters.
    Name one? well, in the final episode, there's a 'Wages train'. The 2006 character would surely query this? As in: why isn't everyone paid into their bank accounts?
    I was working in 1973, and we were given that option: to be paid in coin (cash) or our monies/wages paid directly into the bank.
    Anyway, there you go. Overall it was worth a watch, and perhaps in a few years time I'll re-view. Whether I'll plump for Ashes to Ashes is another matter.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bovon wrote: »
    Hmm. I thought there'd be a longer thread for this TV series?

There is over in the Cult section of the board.The link below is basically most of the threads that are in the Cult section regarding LOM

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/search.php?searchid=66609658&pp=25
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Name one? well, in the final episode, there's a 'Wages train'. The 2006 character would surely query this? As in: why isn't everyone paid into their bank accounts?
    I was working in 1973, and we were given that option: to be paid in coin (cash) or our monies/wages paid directly into the bank.
    So, back in 1973, was everyone paid by BGC, or did some/many still opt for cash? Because, even if some workers opted for cash, such wages trains would still be required (in order to service the bank branches who provided the payroll cash for specific companies).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I worked for a large company in 1973 and, apart from some management, everyone was paid in cash.

We had someone go to each department with a wages envelope for each employee plus a sheet to sign your name on.

All sounds very primitive now.
  • Options
    pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So, back in 1973, was everyone paid by BGC, or did some/many still opt for cash? Because, even if some workers opted for cash, such wages trains would still be required (in order to service the bank branches who provided the payroll cash for specific companies).

Many factories which paid "piecework" by the week were still paying wages in cash in the 1990s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinot_noir wrote: »
    Many factories which paid "piecework" by the week were still paying wages in cash in the 1990s.
    And where I worked back in the 80's/90's, the large warehouse (200+ staff) were paid weekly in cash, whilst the head office staff were paid by bank credit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeeze, you lot are uptight. My point is, is that the main character had repeadtedly told at least one other character, that he was only 4 years old in 1973, and thus a 'wages train' is probably something he hadn't encountered in 2006, and yet query came there none.
  • Options
    Ms BrightsideMs Brightside Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeeze, you lot are uptight. My point is, is that the main character had repeadtedly told at least one other character, that he was only 4 years old in 1973, and thus a 'wages train' is probably something he hadn't encountered in 2006, and yet query came there none.

He probably hadn't encountered a lot of things he saw in 73, but I take it you haven't seen ashes to ashes? Because that explains things.
  • Options
    pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He'd have had to be an idiot not to know that everyone having wages paid directly into the bank was a fairly recent norm in 2006.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But by the final episode he had been living in '73 for some months. The Sweeny often featured "Wages blags" so presumably Sam's collegues would have too - this Sam would have been aware of even if he hadn't yet worked on such a case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ms B, Nope, I haven't seen A2A, but thanks for the pointer.
    Shrike, Yep I take yer point, but as a Copper this guy doesn't seem inquistive enough. Sure, he has info that they don't in 1973, but he's not omniscient. Er, and he doesn't have Google.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeeze, you lot are uptight.
    My reply was pretty reasoned and logical actually.
    My point is, is that the main character had repeadtedly told at least one other character, that he was only 4 years old in 1973, and thus a 'wages train' is probably something he hadn't encountered in 2006, and yet query came there none.
    As you had already accepted that workers were given the choice (your words: I was working in 1973, and we were given that option: to be paid in coin (cash) or our monies/wages paid directly into the bank. ) it is possible that he was aware of the practice from friends, relatives, older work colleagues, criminal case work, TV dramas, films, especially as the practice was rife for manual/blue collar workers well into the 80s and early 90s (less so for office/white collar workers).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    But by the final episode he had been living in '73 for some months. The Sweeny often featured "Wages blags" so presumably Sam's collegues would have too - this Sam would have been aware of even if he hadn't yet worked on such a case.

The writers have said that many of the cases and things in LoM/A2A are classic cop show tropes because of the nature of the show, so like you say the influence of The Sweeney etc. plays a big part in what Sam sees in "1973". I think continuity mistakes are waved away by the Big Reveal at the end of A2A - handily for the writers :p
  • Options
    Mk VIIMk VII Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    He'd presumably have some knowledge of the Great Train Robbery, which was somewhat similar.
    Until the 19th c. Truck Acts were repealed in 1986, workers had the right to insist on payment in cash, and many did.