Section 59 Road Traffic Act

bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
Forum Member
✭✭
Can someone please explain to me what are the consequences of contravening this act. The police have received a complaint against my partner, who was driving my car, saying she was driving in a dangerous manner and nearly knocked someone over. They say that this contravenes section 59 of the RTA and is a type of ASBO and that any further contraventions could result in my vehicle being impounded.
She does admit the offence and did apologise at the time, but obviously the person has now reported the incident to the police.
What I want to know is:

Can my partner or I receive points on our licence, given that the police didn't actually see anything?

Can the complaint be taken any further by the complainant, given that the police have issued a warning?

Is this an official warning on my record that can affect me in the future?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was she questioned under caution? was she presented with any sort of paperwork? was she told she would be summoned to court?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing else will happen unless the offence is repeated. It won't go on your record, it's a road traffic offence.

Long winded but it's explained here.

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2010/07/15/what-is-a-section-59/
  • 96.6TFM-Sean96.6TFM-Sean Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    The Police Officer ( in Uniform) must have reasonable ground to believe etc .. etc

What is reasonable grounds ?
    I would argue that here-say of one person or from a single incident is not reasonable grounds. Here you have been warned - fine. If someone else reports the same thing .. then it would be reasonable to use the powers ...

I believe it is used to stop Street Racers and Car Modders from getting involved in cruises and such like. eg causing disturbances ...

I would say, that your other half just needs to take a little more care. However that said we all make mistakes. Everyone does. Live and let live. Just be careful, so as you don't lose your car.

SECTION 59
    Vehicles used in a manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance:

(1) Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which —
    (a) contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and
    (b) is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public, he shall have the powers set out in subsection (3).

(2) A constable in uniform shall also have the powers set out in subsection (3) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle has been used on any occasion in a manner falling within subsection (1).

(3) Those powers are —
    (a) power, if the motor vehicle is moving, to order the person driving it to stop the vehicle;
    (b) power to seize and remove the motor vehicle;
    (c) power, for the purposes of exercising a power falling within paragraph (a) or (b), to enter any
    premises on which he has reasonable grounds for believing the motor vehicle to be;
    (d) power to use reasonable force, if necessary, in the exercise of any power
    conferred by any of paragraphs to (a) to (c).

(4) A constable shall not seize a motor vehicle in the exercise of the powers
    conferred on him by this section unless —
    (a) he has warned the person appearing to him to be the person whose use falls within subsection (1) that he will seize it, if that use continues or is repeated; and
    (b) it appears to him that the use has continued or been repeated after the warning.

(5) Subsection (4) does not require a warning to be given by a constable on any occasion on which he would otherwise have the power to seize a motor vehicle under this section if—
    (a) the circumstances make it impracticable for him to give the warning;
    (b) the constable has already on that occasion given a warning under that subsection in respect of any use of that motor vehicle or of another motor vehicle by that person or any other person;
    (c) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that such a warning has been given on that occasion otherwise than by him; or
    (d) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that the person whose use of that motor vehicle on that occasion would justify the seizure is a person to whom a warning under that subsection has been given (whether or not by that constable or in respect the same vehicle or the same or a similar use) on a previous occasion in the previous twelve months.

(6) A person who fails to comply with an order under subsection (3)(a) is guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(7) Subsection (3)(c) does not authorise entry into a private dwelling house.

(8) The powers conferred on a constable by this section shall be exercisable only at a time when regulations under section 60 are in force.

(9) In this section —
    • “driving” has the same meaning as in the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52);
    • “motor vehicle” means any mechanically propelled vehicle, whether or not it is intended or adapted for use on roads; and
    • “private dwelling house” does not include any garage or other structure occupied with the dwelling house, or any land appurtenant to the dwelling house.