Options

Google/Samsung Love in

swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
Forum Member
Sounds good news though be nice to have the best features of both in an android, hopefully

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240213201/Google-Samsung-sign-10-year-technology-cross-licensing-deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25908364
Seungho Ahn, head of Samsung’s Intellectual Property Center.
“Samsung and Google are showing the rest of the industry that there is more to gain from cooperating than engaging in unnecessary patent disputes,” he said.
Google guy Allen Lo adds: “We’re pleased to enter into a cross-license with our partner Samsung. By working together on agreements like this, companies can reduce the potential for litigation and focus instead on innovation.”

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should put a stop to rumours of a divorce. Patent wars part two is brewing, grab your partners :D
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a "love-in", just a mutual agreement that both companies won't turn on each other, especially with Google pushing Nexus and promoting other OEMs over Samsung and Samsung pushing Tizen and removing Google services where possible.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be interesting to see if this works. It could easily stifle innovation as samsung and google have been dragging each other along for the last couple of years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if this works. It could easily stifle innovation as samsung and google have been dragging each other along for the last couple of years.

Patent licensing "could easily stifle innovation"? I'm interested to hear how this is the case compared with the extensive and bellicose patent lawsuit approach adopted by other companies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sharing of patent technology, building upon it, improving it and not having to worry about impinging on said patent when creating something, can actually
    stifle innovation

Sometimes people are clearly reaching for some negative, even to the point of making themselves look stupid, but please I have to hear the reasoning for this statement :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Patent licensing "could easily stifle innovation"? I'm interested to hear how this is the case compared with the extensive and bellicose patent lawsuit approach adopted by other companies.

When you say other companies, I hope you are including google and samsung in that.

The current situation is that both google and samsung were fighting to bring functionality to users. Sometimes copying each other but looking for different or better ways of doing things. This deal may stop some of that innovation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Sharing of patent technology, building upon it, improving it and not having to worry about impinging on said patent when creating something, can actually

Sometimes people are clearly reaching for some negative, even to the point of making themselves look stupid, but please I have to hear the reasoning for this statement :D

It can only be classed as reaching for a negative if you are stupid enough to not be able to read a post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say other companies, I hope you are including google and samsung in that.

The current situation is that both google and samsung were fighting to bring functionality to users. Sometimes copying each other but looking for different or better ways of doing things. This deal may stop some of that innovation.

Other companies means other companies.

What do you mean by "fighting to bring functionality to users". In what way exactly? Samsung overlays Touchwiz onto Android, so they can do what they like with that UI, Google has their own Holo UI on stock Android and as far as I know, Google has never stopped Samsung from adding features to Touchwiz. Samsung has only been duplicating Google functionality, and adding their own features on top.

Samsung does not own the world's most popular search engine or the wealth of online services that Google owns, such as YouTube and Gmail, so I'm curious to see where exactly this fight has been taking place. If anything, this deal will only make Samsung and Google work together more than they have been already, especially with devices like the Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other companies means other companies.

What do you mean by "fighting to bring functionality to users". In what way exactly? Samsung overlays Touchwiz onto Android, so they can do what they like with that UI, Google has their own Holo UI on stock Android and as far as I know, Google has never stopped Samsung from adding features to Touchwiz. Samsung has only been duplicating Google functionality, and adding their own features on top.

Samsung does not own the world's most popular search engine or the wealth of online services that Google owns, such as YouTube and Gmail, so I'm curious to see where exactly this fight has been taking place. If anything, this deal will only make Samsung and Google work together more than they have been already, especially with devices like the Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition.

So you cannot think of an example where samsung have introduced functionality onto a device, and then google have added similar functionality into the core android OS?
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you cannot think of an example where samsung have introduced functionality onto a device, and then google have added similar functionality into the core android OS?

There have also been opposite instances, for example Android Beam vs. S-Beam, but I'm failing to see how this is "fighting to bring functionality to users".

That's an overdramatic statement which doesn't reflect reality. Does this mean that Google is also "fighting" with HTC, LG, Huawei, Sony and the countless other OEMs with their own UI overlays to bring functionality to users?

The beauty of Android is choice, that's why it has reached such a high point in the global market. If Google thinks features are worth building into the core of Android, then I'm not sure who this is putting at a disadvantage. Apart from Android competitors, of course. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

It can only be classed as reaching for a negative if you are stupid enough to not be able to read a post.

There is idiotic and there is embarrassingly idiotic you sir are clearly the latter. Sharing tech, being able to improve and build on the best Practice of both is now painted as a negative. Pathetic and desperate showing you for what you are nothing other than the fool of DS.
    Google and Samsung have signed a global patent cross-licensing agreement aimed at reducing "the potential for litigation" and enhancing innovation.

Unless of course you trying desperately to find some ludicrous spin :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    There is idiotic and there is embarrassingly idiotic you sir are clearly the latter. Sharing tech, being able to improve and build on the best Practice of both is now painted as a negative. Pathetic and desperate showing you for what you are nothing other than the fool of DS.

Unless of course you trying desperately to find some ludicrous spin :D

As I've told you many times, you're judgement of me is so meaningless, it's laughable. Once again, you cannot even read and understand a post and your default response of name calling sums you up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have also been opposite instances, for example Android Beam vs. S-Beam, but I'm failing to see how this is "fighting to bring functionality to users".

That's an overdramatic statement which doesn't reflect reality. Does this mean that Google is also "fighting" with HTC, LG, Huawei, Sony and the countless other OEMs with their own UI overlays to bring functionality to users?

The beauty of Android is choice, that's why it has reached such a high point in the global market. If Google thinks features are worth building into the core of Android, then I'm not sure who this is putting at a disadvantage. Apart from Android competitors, of course. :)

Yes, it does mean that google are also fighting with htc, lg, etc. that is a good thing and pushes the products forward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it does mean that google are also fighting with htc, lg, etc. that is a good thing and pushes the products forward.

How does patent licensing prevent this then? Are Google and Samsung just suddenly going to stop innovating even though they have now acquired licenses to each other's patents?

Google doesn't really get involved with the features OEMs add in unless they infringe or copy competitors. All these companies (including Samsung) are part of the Open Handset Alliance, so they have never been "fighting" in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does patent licensing prevent this then? Are Google and Samsung just suddenly going to stop innovating even though they have now acquired licenses to each other's patents?

Google doesn't really get involved with the features OEMs add in unless they infringe or copy competitors. All these companies (including Samsung) are part of the Open Handset Alliance, so they have never been "fighting" in the first place.

I have never said it would prevent it, and to be honest, I'm slighlty confused as to why to feel the need to be so defensive. You obvisouly don't like that I used the word 'fighting' but you are reading far too much into its meaning. If it makes you happy, I'll use the word compete instead.

It is quite possible that if they share patents they will be less inclined to compete against each other for the development of functions and therefore could restrict innovation.

If you don't think they have been "fighting" against each other, you clearly have a different view to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never said it would prevent it, and to be honest, I'm slighlty confused as to why to feel the need to be so defensive. You obvisouly don't like that I used the word 'fighting' but you are reading far too much into its meaning. If it makes you happy, I'll use the word compete instead.

It is quite possible that if they share patents they will be less inclined to compete against each other for the development of functions and therefore could restrict innovation.

If you don't think they have been "fighting" against each other, you clearly have a different view to me.

Don't try and switch the argument around onto me with irrelevant personal remarks. Perhaps the best way to respond would be to explain your argument clearly.

I'm not being defensive at all, I'm just trying to gain more understanding of the poorly constructed statements you have put forward.

You still have given no explanation as to how this deal can stifle innovation. The logical conclusion would be that oit does rather the opposite, given that this 10 year deal means that Google and Samsung are no longer held back by patent licensing restrictions between each other, meaning the patents can be used by both companies in new features.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't try and switch the argument around onto me with irrelevant personal remarks. Perhaps the best way to respond would be to explain your argument clearly.

I'm not being defensive at all, I'm just trying to gain more understanding of the poorly constructed statements you have put forward.

You still have given no explanation as to how this deal can stifle innovation. The logical conclusion would be that oit does rather the opposite, given that this 10 year deal means that Google and Samsung are no longer held back by patent licensing restrictions between each other, meaning the patents can be used by both companies in new features.

Not sure what more I can explain. If you don't understand, then fine.

Maybe the whole patent systems should be scraped.

I'm sure the deal suits both google and samsung.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what more I can explain. If you don't understand, then fine.

Maybe the whole patent systems should be scraped.

I'm sure the deal suits both google and samsung.

I'm confident in my understanding of the deal. Perhaps further reading may help you to form a coherent argument on this topic. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I've told you many times, you're judgement of me is so meaningless, it's laughable. Once again, you cannot even read and understand a post and your default response of name calling sums you up.

In your world it is better to try and "fight" against others to come up with solutions that don't infringe on other patents. Better to be hamstrung and fettered by those patents in what you can achieve, even when such patents offer the best line of development.

I love the culdesacs you manage to get into. You really have no idea, I'd say it's embarassing but it happens so often to you now you probably are immune :D
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be just a love-in confirming the increased love-in.

When Apple and Microsoft announced their love in, my take on that is "I(Apple) will tak' the high road, and you Microsoft will tak' the low Road, and I'll get Scoogle gone afore ye"

Will Samsung or Google ever hit that low road?