• Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Electric nipple clamps.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jacuzzi, hot tub, manicure/pedicure, massage, yoga sessions. The possibilities are endless.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starter24 wrote: »
    Plus, people will feel under a lot of wholly un-needed stress if they can't all be the same as each other in terms of weight, and will all try and outdo each other until one goes too far and over does it, possibly leading to the company getting sued. :(
    I can say with great confidence, that if you have 100 member's of staff, you will have 100 different attitudes towards weight, diets and gyms.

Some will already be really active, and will love a good gym, some will feel they should give a go, but like alot wont go alot. Some may get into it, and any other combination.

Working in a building with alot of people, I do see it alot of people, some of them on diets, some now, some successful and some not, for various reasons, its a mind field.

I have put my diet, and weight loss on a banned topic list, not just in the office but in life generally, because I got way too caught up in it.
  • Options
    starter24starter24 Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    Jacuzzi, hot tub, manicure/pedicure, massage, yoga sessions. The possibilities are endless.
    I think that apart from the hot tub, all of those things are going WAY too far! :p
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    IMHO the staff room is the last place to have this kind of crap. They are on a break FFS. >:(
  • Options
    starter24starter24 Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    IMHO the staff room is the last place to have this kind of crap. They are on a break FFS. >:(
    Looks like your sense of humor is on a break, too. ;)
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Electric nipple clamps.
    not sure if Health and Safety would approve ;)
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Just be normal. Nothing worse than managers trying to be all pally and artifically nice. The first rule of management is treat everyone else as if they have the sense that you do and give them the autonomy to make decisions as required. Only manage when a situation requires managing.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put some plants in the staff room.

Free tea and coffee and microwave facilities.

Seek out colleagues and tell them how well they have done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    if your staff aren't motivated to do a job then sack them and hire someone who is motivated and has work ethic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 gram of sniff and a prossie every Friday :D
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit obvious I know, but a pay rise is usually a good motivator.

The problem with financial awards is that whilst it can motivate the person that gets them, it can seriously demotivate the remainder who don't.

From what I have seen, its often smaller things that can go along way to improve staff engagement - free tea and coffee, a TV for lunchtime, a review of the expenses policy to make it less penny pinching, cutting out bureaucratic policies giving people greater choice in how they do their job, allowing people more flexible working hours, honest and open dialogs with management, better control of their working environment and the like.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you need is 3 teddy bears with jumpers on with 3 letters that represent the organisation's main goals. Staff can then have these on their desks and take them on holiday or home for the weekend and take pictures of them. It is also helpful if the Knitting Club make the jumpers for the bears.
    The bears will remind staff of the organisation's values and promote general wellbeing.

This is what happened last month where I work.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am thinking of ways to motivate my staff and imrpove my boring staff room - are there any cooll rituals or ideas you have at work? And how would you wantpto be motivated? So far I have stuff like after work clubs, newsletters and motivatonal pictures etc...
    Has your staff room got a fancy clock?:confused:

Some nice cushions for the chairs might make them feel comfy when they are on their breaks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look up Andy Cope

Art of being brilliant
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Ask them. Not everyone likes the same things, and you might just be surprised at how good some of their ideas are
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,995
    Forum Member
    I just tell mine as it is. If they want to go home, it's time to get moving. If they do a good job praise them, too many of my managers ignore me telling them to praise the staff so if we had a good day, in the following morning briefing I tell them, that seems to motivate them for the day.

If they've had a bad day, I tell them they had a better day and it usually motivates most to do better on that day. As for improving the boring staff room, I'm not too sure. Can you get a TV in there for when they are on their break but have it set to a music channel or something that most people will watch? That's seems to work here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A company I used to deal with had a predominantly young, male workforce. Mondays were a nightmare for this company, as the lads were generally out on the lash at the weekend and consequently sickies/lates were the norm for a high percentage of the staff. The company started going down the route of disciplinaries etc, but weren't happy about it as their workers were normally excellent - it was just this one problem that needed fixing.

They had a think, and decided to use the carrot rather than the stick. Each Monday from then on, a full breakfast was provided to those who turned up on time - breads, fruits, cheeses, preserves, a full continental spread. The cost to the company came in at about five or six quid a head iirc.

Result - within a month, absenteeism and tardiness had all but disappeared, and productivity as a whole shot up. The costs of the breakfasts were recouped several times over. The staff knew they had been taking the piss and made a huge effort to repay the thoughtfulness shown to them by the company. No-one demanded that the breakfast be a daily occurrence, as all were well aware they had fallen right on their feet, and were genuinely grateful for their employers' efforts.

If you treat your staff right, they'll generally do the same for you. Go the extra mile for them, they'll give you a marathon in return. Treat them like s**t, as so many companies do, and prepare to get the same back in return...
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    A TV can be a bad choice if you are recording something at home to watch after work. Music? Urgh! Unlikely to find a genre that does not piss off someone.

Free wi-fi is good though then people can watch / listen what they like on their mobile using earphones.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    If you treat your staff right, they'll generally do the same for you. Go the extra mile for them, they'll give you a marathon in return. Treat them like s**t, as so many companies do, and prepare to get the same back in return...

Absolutely.

Make sure you give praise and credit for good work, and ask for suggestions on how to improve service and efficiency, cut bureaucracy etc. Make them feel that they have a say in what goes on in the workplace.

Make sure they understand what is required in terms of targets, performance etc, and take their feedback seriously.

If people feel they are involved in what goes on at work, rather than have stuff imposed on them, they are much more responsive. Regular team meetings and one-to-ones with staff are invaluable.
  • Options
    mooblymoobly Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »

They had a think, and decided to use the carrot rather than the stick. Each Monday from then on, a full breakfast was provided to those who turned up on time - breads, fruits, cheeses, preserves, a full continental spread. The cost to the company came in at about five or six quid a head iirc.

LOVE this idea!

I find lots of team-buildingy stuff cringey and patronising as hell (but then I'm a massive cynic). Best way to motivate me personally? Bit more cash, acknowledgement and a career progression route would work best. That and the breakfast......
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Praise good work, always show a positive attitude and lead by example. Don't show favouritism and don't ignore unprofessional attitudes. Treat everyone fairly.