Options

Windows 7 updates, do you bother?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    How the hell did you create a slipstream disc if you don't know how to use a computer?

He's TRYING to be pedantic. And failing.
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    He's TRYING to be pedantic. And failing.

Pedantic award goes to you for claiming someone who installs Windows 7 several times does not know how to use a computer.

You don't even know what people use their PC for so how you can come with such drivel is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Whatever mate, I'm not arguing with you.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you need to keep re-installing win7? I thought Windows Win7 and 8 were supposed to be stable.
  • Options
    LeviathainLeviathain Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had to reinstall Windows 7 on my PC a few times.

For instance I recently installed the latest wireless driver for my wireless card and for some unknown reason it completely buggered up Windows 7. Wireless no longer worked and despite removing the old driver completely and putting back the old one it still wouldn't go online.

Looking at various forums it seemed it was a common occurrence with this specific driver.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you use restore points? They never failed me, I always create an explicit one before experimenting and restore back if I damaged something.
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always do updates on all my PC's/Tablets/Mobile Devices, regardless of the Operating System. I've never had problems when installing updates either, and think of them as a necessity in keeping systems up-to-date and secure.

:) Mark
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Leviathain wrote: »
    I have had to reinstall Windows 7 on my PC a few times.

For instance I recently installed the latest wireless driver for my wireless card and for some unknown reason it completely buggered up Windows 7. Wireless no longer worked and despite removing the old driver completely and putting back the old one it still wouldn't go online.

Looking at various forums it seemed it was a common occurrence with this specific driver.
    if you can't manually fix the problem just roll it back. no need to reinstall.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Pedantic award goes to you for claiming someone who installs Windows 7 several times does not know how to use a computer.

You don't even know what people use their PC for so how you can come with such drivel is anyone's guess.

it's a little like saying i've written off my car several times but don't say i can't drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    if you can't manually fix the problem just roll it back. no need to reinstall.

Rollbacks don't always work, certainly did not on my occasion. System restore also didn't help despite me creating a fresh restore point just a few weeks earlier.

I could have spent more and more time mucking about trying to fix the problem or just performed a simple reinstall which fixed the problem in less than an hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    it's a little like saying i've written off my car several times but don't say i can't drive.

Sometimes you have to reinstall Windows when pretty much all else fails, I have a work colleague who is running the same Windows 7 he got with his PC several years ago, I wouldn't exactly say his machine was running in tip top condition. The guy doesn't even know how to do a Windows 7 reinstall.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    My question was do others bother with the updates,

I don't.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I don't.

Oh dear...
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Neo Tokyo wrote: »
    Those are smaller than my Windows 7 DVD without SP1.
    Your DVD may contain the WIM files other editions of Windows (Pro/Ultimate) etc

It could also be additional drivers/branding/software that the manufacturer has added to the media.