Jeremy Paxman's last ever Newsnight Tonight 18/06/2014

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disappointing , was hoping we'd have some best-of bits , instead we had another propaganda piece for 'loveable' Boris again .

• Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    He's certainly a formidable interviewer. I do sometimes think he's more interested in breaking down the interviewee than he is in getting real answers to questions.

Although he isn't a Newsnight person, Andrew Neil, for me, is the better interviewer. He's equally tough when it comes to the government and the opposition (which, in fairness, is also the case with Paxo), he virtually always knows his facts inside out, and there's always a sense that there's some purpose to his line of questioning. For Paxo, it does seem to be more about bullying the interviewee into submission.

Jeremy's very memorable, though, so I will miss him...
    Always enjoyed his 'interviewing' style. Like a dog with a bone at times but his body language played a big part too.

I've long been watching this Channel 4 News presenter who is almost a 'junior' Paxo. Very knowledgeable and intelligent interviewer he gets quite persistent at times if he doesn't get a direct answer to a straightforward question and openly tells them so!
    Straker wrote: »
    The Jon Snow interview on C4 was excellent. A couple of old pros gently taking the piss out of each other. Would like to see a longer version of that. Paxo revealed in that that he loathes the new BBC building as well so perhaps another contributory factor to his departure. Katz is still an utter cock though......

The sign-off last night was so low-key (continuity announcer also briefed not to do anything special it would seem) that if you didn`t know you could tune in tonight expecting him to still be there!
    Likewise.....i'm sure they carried on having a good old rattle long after the edited interview and would love to have seen more. At times Paxo was very relaxed and almost 'out of pro mode' which was good. Both Snow and Paxo are totally different characters which made it all the more interesting. Respect on both sides from a couple of 'pros'!

I was a little bit surprised at the sign off too though he had made it very clear he didn't want any fuss or dramatics. Maybe it's difficult having been such a flamboyant presenter to simply disappear quietly, but that's what he obviously genuinely wanted.

I'm sure he won't disappear from television altogether and no doubt make a few more documentaries on topics which appeal to him. IMO he's done the right thing. It's not as though he needs to work for money anyway!
  • katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope we dont get get too much of ms Kuennsberg.Her sour little face puts me right off my cocoa
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    disappointing , was hoping we'd have some best-of bits.

Apparently he asked them not to do that. Make it not all about him which is professional of him.

Glad we finally got an answer to THAT question.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    But the thing is that you still see his quality.

Take his interview with Mandelson tonight - none of the other Newsnight presenters would have done it at quite the same level.

Not saying the others don't do a good job - they do.

But Paxman has just got that added depth that takes it to a higher level.

Most of the female presenters are lightweight, except for Laura Kuenssberg who is rather good.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it a rather odd show in that it seemed rather pro-Tory and unbalanced.

Had a Boris sketch and a Michael Howerd sketch (admittedly quite amusing)
    Then Mandelson on not that subtly saying that Milliband wasnt very good.

I dont get the "Teach The World to sing" thing either ?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dont get the "Teach The World to sing" thing either ?
    I guess that it was a reference to his interview with the boss of Coca-Cola - the song was originally used (with the original lyrics of "Buy the world a Coke" in Coca-Cola's marketing in the early to mid 70's
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Big fan of Neil. His now-cancelled series on the News Channel, Straight Talk, was excellent.

I find him unbearable on The Daily Politics: glib and far too "pals-y" with the political guests. He appears to me as if every sentence he utters has been designed to be a tabloid headline. Maybe he's different on other shows: where he's not playing to the (imagined) crowd. But if he took his DP (no sniggering at the back) persona to Newsnight, that would be the end of it.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    But if he took his DP (no sniggering at the back) persona to Newsnight, that would be the end of it.

He`s already fronted Newsnight. And no, he didn`t take the lighter approach although it wasn`t without humour.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it a rather odd show in that it seemed rather pro-Tory and unbalanced.

Had a Boris sketch and a Michael Howerd sketch (admittedly quite amusing)
    Then Mandelson on not that subtly saying that Milliband wasnt very good.

It doesn't take a political mastermind like Mandelson to realise that Miliband isn't very good.

Mandelson, Johnson and Howard were three very appropriate guests for his final show. Mandy was famously "outed" live on Newsnight by Matthew Parris, the "did you" Howard interview is probably his most famous and his interviews with Boris have always been highlights, especially of the conference season.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I've long been watching this Channel 4 News presenter who is almost a 'junior' Paxo. Very knowledgeable and intelligent interviewer he gets quite persistent at times if he doesn't get a direct answer to a straightforward question and openly tells them so!
    !

You have to be joking, surely?

Guru Murthy is absolutely terrible. Mind numbingly awful. The only presenter I ever saw completely corpse on live TV. He lost it totally and said so. Coupled with Snow, who I think is showing the first signs of dementia, C4 News is a daily car crash these days.

Kuesenberg was simply unbearable on Newsnight last evening. Simply talked over every interviewee so neither could be heard - why in God's name do the producers not tell them to STOP? They ask a question, and within 2 seconds are yalkking away again. Her voice is like fingernails down a blackboard. Even worse than Wark, which is saying something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Laura K but her background is is reporting so it is going to take some time for her to adjust to being an anchor. It's good to have her back at the BBC after her sabbatical at ITV but maybe Newsnight wasn't the right role for her.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I quite like Laura K but her background is is reporting so it is going to take some time for her to adjust to being an anchor. It's good to have her back at the BBC after her sabbatical at ITV but maybe Newsnight wasn't the right role for her.

Two of the benefits if Scotland votes "Yes" - we can stop moving the clocks forward, and Kuesenberg can disappear to the SBC.
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it was just me but he seemed confused/annoyed when the song played at the end - like 'what the bloody hell is this' ?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Love Paxo, but was rather put out at his dismissal of Twitter, especially when there are quite a few top notch journalists and reporters that I admire and follow on there.

Also, I find it to be the very first with the news these days - maybe why he doesn't like it!
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    You have to be joking, surely?

Guru Murthy is absolutely terrible. Mind numbingly awful. The only presenter I ever saw completely corpse on live TV. He lost it totally and said so. Coupled with Snow, who I think is showing the first signs of dementia, C4 News is a daily car crash these days.

Kuesenberg was simply unbearable on Newsnight last evening. Simply talked over every interviewee so neither could be heard - why in God's name do the producers not tell them to STOP? They ask a question, and within 2 seconds are yalkking away again. Her voice is like fingernails down a blackboard. Even worse than Wark, which is saying something.

They need to get rid of Kirsty Wark next. I'm surprised she's still sticking around tbh.

Emily Maitlis is more than capable and has been clearly groomed by the BBC to take over a major role. Give her the main role with Kuenssberg and Andrew Neil or Eddie Mair as back-up presenters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    They need to get rid of Kirsty Wark next. I'm surprised she's still sticking around tbh.

Emily Maitlis is more than capable and has been clearly groomed by the BBC to take over a major role. Give her the main role with Kuenssberg and Andrew Neil or Eddie Mair as back-up presenters.

Personally, I'd make Eddie Mair (yet another Scot) the main presenter
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope we dont get get too much of ms Kuennsberg.Her sour little face puts me right off my cocoa

I find her excellent. She's no soft touch.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I find her excellent. She's no soft touch.

I liked her during the election but Maitlis is easily their best female presenter. She can do light and heavy with equal aplomb whereas Laura is somewhat humourless on NN and consequently hard-going over time.

Is it just me or does EVERYTHING Eddie Mair say sound like it`s meant to be taken ironically?
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I find him unbearable on The Daily Politics: glib and far too "pals-y" with the political guests. He appears to me as if every sentence he utters has been designed to be a tabloid headline. Maybe he's different on other shows: where he's not playing to the (imagined) crowd. But if he took his DP (no sniggering at the back) persona to Newsnight, that would be the end of it.

Andrew Neil's background is newspapers so that may explain why. I think Andrew is a great presenter on Daily Politics, mixing the balance of tough questioning and humour. He's accessible.
  • HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was one of my favourite Paxman interviews not least because I think Springer held his own very, very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-dHmu4AXnA
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sold him a one day travelcard at Shepherds Bush once.

I remained calm, refused to be barracked and made sure i got my point across.

Well done Paxo, will be missed.

Have a Supersize Coke on me...

…: http://youtu.be/ugFock3p2xE

I sold him some tickets to a production of 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead' and found him very personable although it was pouring down with rain. He was also off to buy some fishing tackle.
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Andrew Neil can be 'pals-y' with the guests, but he can also go for the jugular with the same guests. For example, he's mates with Diane Abbott, but he has taken her to task on a few occasions.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura K seems too much like a career journalist, hopping from BBC to ITV then back to BBC, to seem capable of doing that scrutinous role. Always thinking about that higher rung on the ladder.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Laura K seems too much like a career journalist, hopping from BBC to ITV then back to BBC, to seem capable of doing that scrutinous role. Always thinking about that higher rung on the ladder.

Since when have the two been exclusive?

And who can blame her if she wanted a change, or wanted to gain wider experience, or felt that she would be passed over again without something extra under her belt?